Help with Ego powers, please.

phydaux

Hey guys!

I've been off the boards for a few months. Jusy poped back to ask a few questions.

First, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BOARDS? I don't remember this layout at all.

Second, and much more important:

Say I have a character with Invisible and Ego Blast and this character is more than 2" away from any other PC or NPC, and no one else has any mental powers.

Now say this character zaps someone with an Ego Blast.

My questions are:

What does everyone ELSE see/know?

What does the victim know, other than a big headache?

Thanks,

phy

Re: Help with Ego powers, please.

The other characters probably see the victim double over in pain, possibly start throwing up if he's CON Stunned.

The victim has a brief vision of the attacker in his mind, maybe it's jabbing at him with something if the GM is feeling creative. He doesn't know where the attacker is (unless Mind Scan was involved, I think, but I'm not sure), but he knows what the attacker looks like and possibly sounds like.

#1> Anyone in the vicinity that possesses Mental Awareness will know that an attack has taken place, and probably deserves a PER roll to determine the source of the attack. This includes the victim. Remember under the official rules (personally I've overruled this) anyone with a Mental Power automatically has Mental Awareness for free.

#2> While this may seem obvious, it's important to note the victim will perceive this as an attack.

#3> I'd amend what Fenixcrest said in only one way -- personally I'd give the victim a PER roll to detect the general direction of the attack -- and if they made it by 4 I'd give them the hex the attack came from.

Remember under the official rules (personally I've overruled this) anyone with a Mental Power automatically has Mental Awareness for free.

So I can't take 15d6 Mind Control, 15d6 Mental Illusions, 15d6 Mind Scan and 15d6 Telepathy, all with No mental awareness (-1/4) to save 60 points for a 7d6 Ego Blast (no mental awareness) and mental awareness for 3? :sick:

You're just mean! :weep:

So I can't take 15d6 Mind Control, 15d6 Mental Illusions, 15d6 Mind Scan and 15d6 Telepathy, all with No mental awareness (-1/4) to save 60 points for a 7d6 Ego Blast (no mental awareness) and mental awareness for 3? :sick:

You're just mean! :weep:

Mental Awareness costs 5 points under 5th Edition for one thing. And while I hate that construct (which is 100% legal under 5th) I actually made this rule well before I discovered it. I hate "free points".

couldnt lack of mental awarness just be considered a 5pt phy lim.

The -1/4 lim is almost always going to give you more points, seems a bit off, and it isint technicaly a meaningful lim on any mental power . Perhaps only mind scan should give you it for free.

just some thoughts

If you take the Limitation, then buy Mental Awareness on the cheap, then the Limitation no longer limits you. A Limitation that doesn't limit you isn't a Limitation. I would disallow this construct if it was presented to me for that reason.

If you take the Limitation' date=' then buy Mental Awareness on the cheap, then the Limitation no longer limits you. A Limitation that doesn't limit you isn't a Limitation. I would disallow this construct if it was presented to me for that reason.[/quote']

I agree. Unless you buy it off with another power which should cost AP the same as you saved by taking the limitation. Like EB no Range with Guantlets that let you project your EB.

Hawksmoor

The other characters probably see the victim double over in pain, possibly start throwing up if he's CON Stunned.

The victim has a brief vision of the attacker in his mind, maybe it's jabbing at him with something if the GM is feeling creative. He doesn't know where the attacker is (unless Mind Scan was involved, I think, but I'm not sure), but he knows what the attacker looks like and possibly sounds like.

I don't think that's quite right. The victim would know that he/she was attacked, and would react as appropriate for the special effect of the EGO blast (it doesn't have to be pain, it can be "sleepiness" or anything that renders the target unconscious/incapable of action; pain is just the easiest). But I don't see any reason to assume the victim has full knowledge of what the attacker looks/sounds like. It should be noted, however, that I don't have the book in front of me.

If one was hit by a sniper's bullet, fired from a clock tower a couple hundred meters away, one wouldn't know anything about the attacker, other than he/she was a good shot...

Unless the Ego Attack is IPE the victim ALWAYS knows he was attacked and from where .. he just may have trouble tracking the invisible attacker once he recovers from being CON Stunned if he was and would still be at a negative to perception and OCV if he wasn't (but not at 0 OCV). Unless the invisible attacker moves after the attack but before the victim gets an action - then they have full inivisibility benefits again.

Others in the area that do not possess Mental Awareness wouldn't know what went on beyond seeing the Victim's reaction to being mentally smacked.

Those with Mental Awareness know who attacked, where they were attacking from and who got attacked. They will lost track of the invisible attacker the second that attacker moves however.