Tricks vs Attributes

nexus

In Hero, there are ways to buy tricks and power stunts that, thanks to Special Effects, can look very impressive. Shockwave attacks, Flight UAA as "Super Knockback", that sort of thing. Alot of them are for bricks too.

I was wondering, in general, how people feel about getting alot of tricks but not nesscarily having the attributes to back them up? Would you let a pc with a "mere" 40 strength get a power that let him do "knockback" a target for miles? The SFX being simply "She's a brick." Or do you prefer character have the attributes to back up their power stunts?

Re: Tricks vs Attributes

Well, a STR 40 brick with a super-knockback power is "obviously" some type of kinetic energy controller, and not just a run-of-the-mill super-strong type.

You can explain damn near anything if you creatively BS your special effects enough. :)

I was wondering, in general, how people feel about getting alot of tricks but not nesscarily having the attributes to back them up? Would you let a pc with a "mere" 40 strength get a power that let him do "knockback" a target for miles? The SFX being simply "She's a brick." Or do you prefer character have the attributes to back up their power stunts?

While I'd be inclined to suggest that most people would like to see an attribute to back up such 'tricks', depending on some of the more specifics of the character, I could see having a 'trick' or two, especially if its a main part of the concept. Like a brick who is, for example, named 'ShockWave' as I'm sure it would be nice if said character could generate her namesake :) . I'd also like to point out that there is nothing 'mere' about a 40 STR if you really think about, being able to toss about roughly 7 tons [don't have book :(] is nothing to laugh at. Beyond that from a GM perspective it's also a matter of how cinematic one's game is.

~The Maxx

I wouldn't have a problem with the Knockback on a 40 STR it in the least, especially in cinematic games. Look at explosions in the movies, huge blast with an even bigger concussion wave that throws things around. Maybe the brick with a 40 Str is so strong and fast that each punch breaks the sound barrier propelling the poor victim backwards.

It's kind of a catch 22 in my game. If you have a medium STR (say 30) and you buy double-knockback or some other special effect for simulating being knocked back, then it seems disproportionate. But if the player then pumps up his STR to make it look right, he winds up doing way too much damage in conjunction with the STR stat + the double KB.

So I allow such SFX, just for the sake of keeping the stats & things from spiraling way out of sight and for keeping the game's SFX interesting.

I was wondering' date=' in general, how people feel about getting alot of tricks but not nesscarily having the attributes to back them up? Would you let a pc with a "mere" 40 strength get a power that let him do "knockback" a target for miles? The SFX being simply "She's a brick." Or do you prefer character have the attributes to back up their power stunts?[/quote']

Well, if you ask me, "She's a brick" is neither a special effect nor a justification. If they want to have their character's Strength stat do Double KB, I invite them to explain to me how she does it. If the explanation is even remotely reasonable, I'll probably allow it. If the explanation is "She's a brick, so I took all the 'Brick Tricks' powers out of the Ultimate Brick," I would tell them to go away and come back when they have a character concept. It doesn't take much. "She's a brick who's figured out how to leverage her enhanced strength in such a way that she's good at knocking people off their feet" will do it for me. The actual numbers don't matter much to me. I'd also allow a martial artist to take Double KB on that justification. Or a blaster. Or anything at all. Just so they can demonstrate that they've thought about it and have a plan, I'm happy.