Longest Running Thread EVER

S'ok, I know to avoid obvious madness. There's a reason I never have and never will look in that veterinarian-cum-cat archer thread. Absolutely no good can come to me from checking that out, and the potential for both foreseen and unforeseen stress is way too great to make it worth it.

S'ok, I know to avoid obvious madness. There's a reason I never have and never will look in that veterinarian-cum-cat archer thread. Absolutely no good can come to me from checking that out, and the potential for both foreseen and unforeseen stress is way too great to make it worth it.

I'm weak.  I had to look.

I even posted...

:no:

I'm weak.  I had to look.

I even posted...

:no:

I am not going to look.

I looked.

Meh.

So ...

If you are standing 20 meters away from a 2-meter-tall department store display window ...

And when the door opens there's an air pressure surge that makes the window bulge ...

And when looking at your reflection in the window as this happens, you see your reflection get about 10% larger during one of those bulging episodes ...

A. Is the window bulging inward or outward?

B. Estimate the focal length and radius of curvature of the bulging window.

C. Estimate the magnitude of the bulge. (A formula is provided: R ~= d^2 / (6 s) . R is the radius of curvature. s is the sagittal height, the amount of "bulge" at the greatest protrusion of the window. d is the distance between points on an equilateral triangle centered on the point where the sagittal height is measured; the plane made by the three points defines the surface which has a sagittal height of zero.)

Trick question: You don't specify whether the observer is standing inside or outside the store. ;) But the window is bulging away from the observer.

Yeah; on the exam I specified the observer is outside, across the avenue.

mirror.jpg

In this example, the image of the T. Rex is 50% as large as it would be if the mirror were flat. If the T. Rex is 10 meters in height, and the focal length of the mirror is 150cm, how far away is the T. Rex really?

If the T. Rex is sprinting at 12 meters per second, and your vehicle is stationary but accelerates at 5 meters per second squared, how long do you have to live?

(These are for humor value only; I have not checked the numbers. Attempt at your own risk.)