Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Had a nice time? Snow not bothering you fellas?

It's Darwin. They have evolved beyond such silly stuff as snow. Now' date=' lethal cnidarians in the water they have ....[/quote'] What?

Mmmm' date=' sea wasps ...[/quote'] worse; box jellyfish.

not sure what you are posting about...

Here we have signs warning people not to swim in the sea between Oct to May due to Box jellyfish. Also there is vinegar provided as of this is put on immediately after being stung a person has a chance to live. Leave it to long before applying vinegar and death surely follows.

Sad, but true. Worse is those who steal the vinegar provided along the beaches thus depriving the saving of lives.

It's Darwin. They have evolved beyond such silly stuff as snow. Now' date=' lethal cnidarians in the water they have ....[/quote']

What?

worse; box jellyfish.

Cnidarians. Jellyfish are members of the phylum called Cnidaria. I already knew about the Irukandji, and those are what I was referring to.

I didn't know about the vinegar. Here in the States they recommend keeping meat tenderizer in your kit if you think there's any risk of getting stung by jellyfish; the tenderizer breaks down proteins, including the stinging cells and venom of the jellyfish around North America.

* Cancer vaguely suspects that having had the hots for someone 30 years ago is a bad reason to vote for that person's candidacy for an office in a scientific society, but decides he can't think of any more valid criterion and does it anyway *

* Cancer vaguely suspects that having had the hots for someone 30 years ago is a bad reason to vote for that person's candidacy for an office in a scientific society' date=' but decides he can't think of any more valid criterion and does it anyway *[/i']
... Just so you know -- I wanna Rep you for this, but can't.

That is sad. YOu can BUY a gallon of Vinegar here for about $3.00 US

I think you might have misread me. The authorities put the vinegar along the beach proactively, so it really doesn't matter the cost, as it can save lives if applied immediately after being stung.

And of course you can BYO to.

Cnidarians. Jellyfish are members of the phylum called Cnidaria. I already knew about the Irukandji' date=' and those are what I was referring to.[/quote'] ok thanks.

I didn't know about the vinegar. Here in the States they recommend keeping meat tenderizer in your kit if you think there's any risk of getting stung by jellyfish; the tenderizer breaks down proteins' date=' including the stinging cells and venom of the jellyfish around North America.[/quote'] didn't know about the meat tenderizer (but may have forgotten it)

Found this from wikipedia:

The highest risk period for the box jellyfish is between October to May, but stings and specimens have been reported all months of the year. Similarly, the highest risk conditions are those with calm water and a light, onshore breeze; however, stings and specimens have been reported in all conditions.

Box jellyfish are abundant in the warm waters of northern Australia and Indo-Pacific. However, the box jellyfish has been spotted in North America, one time during the summer of 2006. The swarms generally disappear during the Australian winter (though occasional individuals are found throughout the year).

[...]

Treatment of stings

If swimming at a beach where box jellyfish are known to be present, a bottle of vinegar is an extremely useful addition to the first aid kit. Once a tentacle of the box jellyfish adheres to skin, it pumps nematocysts with venom into the skin, causing the sting and agonizing pain. Following a sting, vinegar should be applied for a minimum of 30 seconds, resulting in the removal of any unfired nematocysts. A box jellyfish sting can kill a human. Acetic acid, found in vinegar, disables the box jelly's nematocysts that have not yet discharged into the bloodstream (though it will not alleviate the pain). Vinegar may also be applied to adherent tentacles, which should then be removed immediately; this should be done with the use of a towel or glove to avoid bringing the tentacles into further contact with the skin. These tentacles will still sting if separated from the bell, or if the creature is dead. Removing the tentacles without first applying vinegar may cause unfired nematocysts to come into contact with the skin and fire, resulting in a greater degree of envenomation. If no vinegar is available, a heat pack has been proven for moderate pain relief. However, careful removal of the tentacles by hand is recommended.

Although commonly recommended in folklore and even some papers on sting treatment, there is no scientific evidence that urine, ammonia, meat tenderizer, sodium bicarbonate, boric acid, lemon juice, freshwater, steroid cream, alcohol, cold packs, papaya, or hydrogen peroxide will disable further stinging, and these substances may even hasten the release of venom. Pressure immobilization bandages, methylated spirits, or vodka should never be used for jelly stings. Often in severe Chironex fleckeri stings cardiac arrest occurs quickly, so cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) can be life saving and takes priority over all other treatment options (including application of vinegar).

Box jellyfish, just one of the number of seemingly endless deadly animals inhabiting australia. :eg:

edit: this is also worth a read: http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/box-jellyfish.html#box-jellyfish-first-aid

would also make a good origin for a super-villain. :eg: