Alibear

My crew has now got their name

Haven, which I think says a lot about the group dynamic. They have a mindset of Protectors (rather than Avengers)

Former team names for my groups were:

The Highwaymen, who started out very much on the wrong side of the law.

Force, who were quite the hard hitting, bruiser types.

Onslaught, very high minded local heroes

Purge, the tough guys that broke off from Onslaught

and the New Breed, a group of younger players that I ran in the late 80's.

My favorite will always be The Justice Machine.

Originally posted by Acroyear

Coming up with a decent team name is often a difficult task for those who don't want the usual Guardians, Protectors, Justice Crew sounding names.

I hear you. The group I'm GM'g has settled on Destiny Alliance. I'm not sure what to make of it, but they are nearly unanimous, excluding only the guy who wants to call the team the San Angelo Butt Kickers' Guild. (I've pretty much decided that this guy needs to be on Merry Andrew's Xmas card list.)

On the bright side, the first time they earn a public mocking, someone's going to tag them as the "Density Alliance."

Funny that the Justice Machine is mentioned so soon after I ripped off their leader's name for my DD clone in that thread. heh heh.

Our low powered team was the "Champions of Righteousness" if that isn't terrible I don't know what is. The saving grace was being referred to as the "Cor" (core or corps... dunno) most of the time. It still stunk like a week old skunk roadkill, though.

Originally posted by Dynamo

I hear you. The group I'm GM'g has settled on Destiny Alliance. I'm not sure what to make of it, but they are nearly unanimous, excluding only the guy who wants to call the team the San Angelo Butt Kickers' Guild. (I've pretty much decided that this guy needs to be on Merry Andrew's Xmas card list.)

On the bright side, the first time they earn a public mocking, someone's going to tag them as the "Density Alliance."

That's actually a very cool name (if not necessarily indicative of their mission).

I have no problems pointing out my source material. My favorite Bolt suits (2 of them) are based 1) On the female Zentraedi flight suit from the Macross movie and 2) a variation on Jay Garrick's from the Cobalt Blue storyline... just an example.

So you, me, and Kawanga Kid... the other two must be Kevin Seimbedia and... hell, I forget the creator's name. Mike Gustovich?

Originally posted by Acroyear

I have no problems pointing out my source material. My favorite Bolt suits (2 of them) are based 1) On the female Zentraedi flight suit from the Macross movie and 2) a variation on Jay Garrick's from the Cobalt Blue storyline... just an example.

So you, me, and Kawanga Kid... the other two must be Kevin Seimbedia and... hell, I forget the creator's name. Mike Gustovich?

Well remembered, Mr. Gustovitch it was... Bill Willingham probably remebers because of the Texas Comics fiasco, so we must be counting on Ann Bolenn's hand.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

That's actually a very cool name (if not necessarily indicative of their mission).

Actually, it does kind of fit. They're trying to be more than just a coterie of vigilante thugs (OK, maybe not Mr Butt Kickers' Guild). They've only had a few sessions, but they're already looking into LLP or LLC status, revenue streams, ways to be involved in the San Angelo community, and other ways to contribute to the setting. One of the players is exploring hyper-intelligence, and her character is considering becoming a very expensve consultant. Another PC is an old-style Persian mystic, and his player is considering ways to enhance the spiritual health of the community. The brick has signed up for the big brother program and volunteers for city construction projects.

I'm really impressed with their showing so far, considering only one player is particularly familiar with the comicbook genre, though the others were in my GURPS fantasy game and have developed a liking for being able to affect the campaign setting in meaningful ways.

So I guess I just talked myself into liking the name Destiny Alliance. Doesn't mean I won't use the Density Alliance gag, though.

The group I'm GM'g has settled on Destiny Alliance.

Sounds like an 80's euro-pop band. :D I ran for a group once that debated on a name endlessly. At one point, because they had this sort of mideval (sp?) nordic theme, they joked that they should call themselves the "Teutonic Trio." Eventually they settled on the "Academy." However, the first time that the press approached one of them and asked who they were she forgot and said, "The Teutonic Trio." But she was a new player (and my Wife Supreme) so I didn't hold her feet to the fire for that one.

Uh, I remember the Justice Machine as well. Also, John Byrne MIGHT remember them, since he did a few pages and a pin up or two of them. Bill Willingham will most certainly remember them I should think, he also did that Elementals/Justice Machine team up when both went to Comico.

Originally posted by Supreme

I ran for a group once that debated on a name endlessly.

In one campaign, we decided as players that the characters would disagree about the name of the group. We had the press thoroughly confused for several months, because the team name would vary depending on the current opinion of the hero being asked.

At one point, a columnists posited that we were the Alliance, a national super team made up of the best members of the Challengers, Vanguard, the Knights Errant, the Crusaders, Aegis, the Strikers, and several other team names I don't recall. I think the GM had had enough, because Alliance stuck. The press wouldn't use anything else, and we eventually gave in, though we did eventually go back and put the record straight about our team origin.

If we are on the subject of group names. . .

In my longest running campaign, which is currently paused but it will rise again, the team goes by the name the Omega Team. I think that they came up with a pretty good name for a street-level Dark Champions vigilante group.

Their logic seemed to be that they were the final option when justice had failed.

Originally posted by cubist

Uh, I remember the Justice Machine as well. Also, John Byrne MIGHT remember them, since he did a few pages and a pin up or two of them. Bill Willingham will most certainly remember them I should think, he also did that Elementals/Justice Machine team up when both went to Comico.

You are correct sir! And there was a Justice Machine portfolio (which I still have) with pics of the team by George Perez and some others.

I spoke at length with Bill Willingham years ago (when the Justic Machine/Elementals one shot appeared under the Texas Comics imprint) and he said that if another company he took the Elementals to went under that Marvel and DC were going to pay him to take the elementals to their other competition... He was quite the Jonah in those days...

Elementals... that was another beautiful book.

In one campaign, we decided as players that the characters would disagree about the name of the group. We had the press thoroughly confused for several months, because the team name would vary depending on the current opinion of the hero being asked.

At one point, a columnists posited that we were the Alliance, a national super team made up of the best members of the Challengers, Vanguard, the Knights Errant, the Crusaders, Aegis, the Strikers, and several other team names I don't recall. I think the GM had had enough, because Alliance stuck. The press would use anything else, and we eventually gave in, though we did eventually go back and put the record straight about our team origin.

I got my players to agree on "The Academy" because I told them that if they didn't come up with a name by the end of the session, the press would do it for them. The stick doesn't have to be large if it's smelly enough...

:eek: