The cranky thread

Hermit

Guest Worldmaker

Re: The cranky thread

I hate making mirepoix in large amounts. Small dicing five pounds of onions makes me feel like I've been maced. And I can only taste onions for the next eight hours or so. Mirepoix sucks.

Can you take anything?

By the way, as you mentioned work, so, have you had as varied a job history as Klytus or have you been in one place for longer periods? I'm sure you've mentioned before, but, sorry, can't recall.

Actually, it never came up. When I first met Kly, I was on my tenth year at one company. I left them after they fired Kly, that was the second of the fourteen, if I remember correctly. After that Kly got me an excellent offer from the company where he was working, so I went there. That lasted approximately four months -- the owner was your basic jerk, and I walked (make that stormed) out in a huff one morning. After that I temped for several years. I consider that one job, but you can decide otherwise if you want to. Then Kly and I worked together again -- about six months this time on a startup that went under shortly after they downsized most of the staff. I went back to temping -- same company, same recruiter, same everything. I left them when one of my temp jobs (no, not the first one that offered, just the most acceptable one) offered me a permanent position. I've been there almost two years now, and permanent for 18 months or so. So really, how many jobs I've had in the past 20 years or so depends on how you count the two stints temping. But the one ten-year stint does smooth out the average considerably.

By the way, aspirin helped a lot, but it's time to take some more, I think. My hands hurt again.

Guest Skaramine

White Heat, I hope your hands feel better. Sometimes when I start to ache, what I do is flexibility excercises. Another good method is using a gel-ball, but I don't have one of those.

As addicted to Desktop Taipei as I get, with all those repetitive mouse movements, I regularly flex, pump and bend my wrist until I get a satisfying snap. I might get arthritis or tendonitis later on, but it definitely helps to stretch.

I know the cracking of knuckles gets on your nerves, but popping too-tight tendons does allow you relief.

White Heat, I hope your hands feel better. Sometimes when I start to ache, what I do is flexibility excercises. Another good method is using a gel-ball, but I don't have one of those.

As addicted to Desktop Taipei as I get, with all those repetitive mouse movements, I regularly flex, pump and bend my wrist until I get a satisfying snap. I might get arthritis or tendonitis later on, but it definitely helps to stretch.

I know the cracking of knuckles gets on your nerves, but popping too-tight tendons does allow you relief.

I've been massaging my hands together all day. I can't crack my knuckles, but I can crack my spine -- I know what it feels like, but this isn't a tendon pain. On the right hand it's nerve pain and on the left, it's bone pain. Nothing cracking will remedy. Thanks for the sugestion, though!

We've got the remnants of Jeanne here today. I really think it's the weather. Low pressure and stuff. I'll be better tomorrow, I'm sure.

Guest Skaramine

If you hate the cracking of knuckles, you'd hate me, White Heat.

I don't really crack my knuckles, but at least two or three times a day, I pop my neck.

I love the sound of firecrackers exploding so close to my skull and the loosening of my back muscles as I do it.

>POP!<

If you hate the cracking of knuckles, you'd hate me, White Heat.

I don't really crack my knuckles, but at least two or three times a day, I pop my neck.

I love the sound of firecrackers exploding so close to my skull and the loosening of my back muscles as I do it.

>POP!<

Ya know, I can hate what you do without hating you. It's not impossible.

Cracking spines is not a problem, unless it's done agressively publicly, if you know what I mean. Like it's an issue for showing off with. Then it gets on my nerves a little.

Actually' date=' it never came up. When I first met Kly, I was on my tenth year at one company. I left them after they fired Kly, that was the second of the fourteen, if I remember correctly. [/quote']

Close, it was my third. Ten years ago I was on my second year at Radio Shack. I left them to take a job at Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC). I was laid off a few months later when the project I'd been hired to work on suffered some deep budget cuts.

Still, it did free me up to move to Maryland...

Klytus, White Heat, I hope things look up for you soon.

Now, I almost feel bad doing this, since everyone else has far worse complaints, but I need somewhere to vent.

I really love math. Theoretical mathematics, that is, like abstract algebra and whatnot. However, I absolutely loathe my multi-variable calculus course. Not because of the difficulty - it's actually not that bad.

1). The book company made two books, one for chapters 1-10 and one for 11-16 (so they could charge more money, naturally). The first one I used about a year ago, then sold. The second one assumes that you still own the first...no review chapter, or, y'know, critical formulas. It wouldn't even take a whole lot of space. This gets really irritating, because they just assume that you remember stuff like how to use epsilon-delta proofs properly for trigonometric functions, you're screwed.

2) Professor H. is a grade-A certified moron. He's a nice guy, otherwise I'd have strangled him by now, but for a mathematics professor, he sure is incompetent at math. Some of the highlights:

Partway through a proof, he gave up. I mean, literally in the middle of class, he started a proof and couldn't figure out how to finish it.

He insisted - after I pointed out that he was wrong once [i then dropped it, naturally] - that the intersection of a cylinder and a plane was always a circle. Now, this doesn't take any measure of mathematical skill - only decent 3-D visualization. Imagine a column, then imagine cutting through it at an angle. What shape is the surface? IT'S A G-D ELLIPSE, YOU IDIOT. The book even says that. Sheesh.

"Oh, and by the way, your exam is this Thursday."

Guest Worldmaker

I honestly want to kick some Republican ass. Not figuratively... I mean literally. I want to go out, find a random Republican, and beat the crap out of him. All because some ignoramouses here on the board want to pretend that Election 2000 was somehow the Dems fault.

Almost as maddening is how we should all just "get over" the subornation of the election process.

What a crock of shit.

Klytus, White Heat, I hope things look up for you soon.

Now, I almost feel bad doing this, since everyone else has far worse complaints, but I need somewhere to vent.

I really love math. Theoretical mathematics, that is, like abstract algebra and whatnot. However, I absolutely loathe my multi-variable calculus course. Not because of the difficulty - it's actually not that bad.

1). The book company made two books, one for chapters 1-10 and one for 11-16 (so they could charge more money, naturally). The first one I used about a year ago, then sold. The second one assumes that you still own the first...no review chapter, or, y'know, critical formulas. It wouldn't even take a whole lot of space. This gets really irritating, because they just assume that you remember stuff like how to use epsilon-delta proofs properly for trigonometric functions, you're screwed.

2) Professor H. is a grade-A certified moron. He's a nice guy, otherwise I'd have strangled him by now, but for a mathematics professor, he sure is incompetent at math. Some of the highlights:

Partway through a proof, he gave up. I mean, literally in the middle of class, he started a proof and couldn't figure out how to finish it.

He insisted - after I pointed out that he was wrong once [i then dropped it, naturally] - that the intersection of a cylinder and a plane was always a circle. Now, this doesn't take any measure of mathematical skill - only decent 3-D visualization. Imagine a column, then imagine cutting through it at an angle. What shape is the surface? IT'S A G-D ELLIPSE, YOU IDIOT. The book even says that. Sheesh.

"Oh, and by the way, your exam is this Thursday."

Poorly-informed or outright stupid instructors are really frustrating. I had one in 5th grade I've never quite gotten over (as petty as that is).

I honestly want to kick some Republican ass. Not figuratively... I mean literally. I want to go out, find a random Republican, and beat the crap out of him. All because some ignoramouses here on the board want to pretend that Election 2000 was somehow the Dems fault.

Almost as maddening is how we should all just "get over" the subornation of the election process.

What a crock of shit.

That's okay, D-Man's apparently not over 1876, so you're in good company.

I hate making mirepoix in large amounts. Small dicing five pounds of onions makes me feel like I've been maced. And I can only taste onions for the next eight hours or so. Mirepoix sucks.

The onion thing is brutal, my sympathies (and on the stirring up on Fla 2000, I didn't intend to get your goat gotten).

Actually, it never came up. When I first met Kly, I was on my tenth year at one company. I left them after they fired Kly, that was the second of the fourteen, if I remember correctly. After that Kly got me an excellent offer from the company where he was working, so I went there. That lasted approximately four months -- the owner was your basic jerk, and I walked (make that stormed) out in a huff one morning. After that I temped for several years. I consider that one job, but you can decide otherwise if you want to. Then Kly and I worked together again -- about six months this time on a startup that went under shortly after they downsized most of the staff. I went back to temping -- same company, same recruiter, same everything. I left them when one of my temp jobs (no, not the first one that offered, just the most acceptable one) offered me a permanent position. I've been there almost two years now, and permanent for 18 months or so. So really, how many jobs I've had in the past 20 years or so depends on how you count the two stints temping. But the one ten-year stint does smooth out the average considerably.

By the way, aspirin helped a lot, but it's time to take some more, I think. My hands hurt again.

Good luck with the hand, thx re the answer, just wondering.

Oh, and...what exactly do you do?

Guest Worldmaker

Poorly-informed or outright stupid instructors are really frustrating. I had one in 5th grade I've never quite gotten over (as petty as that is).

I had an English teacher my senior year of High School (first class of the day) who wanted us to write a thousand words on what we thought of one of TS Elliot's poems. When she returned mine, it had a big fat red F, accompanied by the word "WRONG!" on the cover page.

I tossed the damned thing in her face, walked out of her class, and from that point on arrived at school precisely at the beginning of second period.

Guest Worldmaker

That's okay' date=' D-Man's apparently not over 1876, so you're in good company.[/quote']

I did find that posting the message you quoted defused a lot of my anger. That and unsubbing from the thread in question.

I like my job but it does require people that I loate- so far I've been forced to render assistance to the SBVFT, An Anti-ABortion Website, A Pro-Gun Website, the Bush/Cheney Official merchandise site, as well as assorted other groups that managed to annoy me in ways various and sundry. I wonder what kind of havok I could wreak if not burdened by that troublesome integrity that Trebuchet accused me of having :stupid::rolleyes:

I shall take a moment to rescind my gripe about the tempity-temp-temp-temp job I started today (which was supposed to last three days, but might now only be two because me and the other temp are just to damn good at what we do... heh!). ;) The company is one I applied to for an accounting position over a year ago (they chose another candidate, alas). Since then the company joined with a national company and they are now undergoing a routine audit, hence the need for the temps.

The people there are really nice and I only wish I was working there permanently. *Sigh* Ah well, at least they'll give me a good reference.

Mags

I shall take a moment to rescind my gripe about the tempity-temp-temp-temp job I started today (which was supposed to last three days' date=' but might now only be [i']two[/i] because me and the other temp are just to damn good at what we do... heh!). ;) The company is one I applied to for an accounting position over a year ago (they chose another candidate, alas). Since then the company joined with a national company and they are now undergoing a routine audit, hence the need for the temps.

The people there are really nice and I only wish I was working there permanently. *Sigh* Ah well, at least they'll give me a good reference.

Mags

Keep contact up there, maybe later on something will open up. Glad it went well at least.

I did find that posting the message you quoted defused a lot of my anger. That and unsubbing from the thread in question.

Cool. I will add now, given some time and calming, that when I first read your cranky post, I thought you wrote, "I honestly want to kick some Republican ass. Not figuratively... I mean literally." I thought the word "kick' was "lick" and...well, I had to really reread it then!

How about getting a mini-food processor or one of those small food choppers? The latter only chops on onion at a time but that's got to beat dicing onions by hand.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the chemical(?) released by the cut onion gravitates toward moisture (i.e. the eyes). When I slice onions, I rinse the peeled onion in water and dip my hands in water and that reduces the sting quite a bit for me. I don't cook with onions much anymore though, because my older brother detests them. He hates garlic, too, but I still slip that into my cooking when I can. ;)

Mags

Guest Skaramine

Ya know, I can hate what you do without hating you. It's not impossible.

Cracking spines is not a problem, unless it's done agressively publicly, if you know what I mean. Like it's an issue for showing off with. Then it gets on my nerves a little.

Oh, like Wesley Snipes does in Blade/Blade II?

No.

But, I worked with this nurse who had a slipped disk... and sometimes I did that just to make her a little uncomfortable. :sneaky:

It looks like the shit is about to hit the fan at my tkd studio. I had a long talk with my instructor, and a certain troublemaker is going to get the boot. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but it's unavoidable now. At least the head instructor knows I've got his back.