The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

This is a common complaint that I hear from all my friends and family who are teachers, namely, that kids nowadays are spoiled to a fault. Their Louis Vuitton or Gucci bags contain tricked out cell phones which they answer in class, or use to text message in class, and the ipods that they use whenever they can get away with it. Coupled with this is an attitude of complete arrogance and disdain that derives from the fact that they know there's practically nothing the teachers can do to discipline them.

The students aren't stupid, they figure this out at a very early age. One friend of mine had a first-grader try to steal play-doh by concealing it in her underwear, knowing that she could not be searched.

When I was in high school in the Philippines, we were one day called to the front of the class and lined up in front of the chalk board. While we were being searched (most of us thought we were being inspected on our haircuts and uniforms by one teacher, another teacher was searching our school bags. The teacher found a bottle of whiskey in one student's bag, and what looked like a container of eye drops in another (they said it contained drugs). Both students were summarily suspended.

This is a common complaint that I hear from all my friends and family who are teachers, namely, that kids nowadays are spoiled to a fault. Their Louis Vuitton or Gucci bags contain tricked out cell phones which they answer in class, or use to text message in class, and the ipods that they use whenever they can get away with it. Coupled with this is an attitude of complete arrogance and disdain that derives from the fact that they know there's practically nothing the teachers can do to discipline them.

So help me God, when I have children, I am spreading the word to my entire family that NO CHILD is to be given Gucci, Louis Vuitton, or any other name brand until the child is old enough to buy it him- or herself. Absolutely not, no way, forget it. If my family wants to spend that kind of money on the kid, they can buy shoes and clothes at Target or someplace and put the difference in a savings account for college. If the kids want the newest and latest gadgets/consoles/whatever, they can start raking leaves or mowing lawns or whatnot to earn it.

I worked EVERY summer from the time I was ten if I wanted spending money, and my parents' idea of an allowance was to match whatever I put in my savings account at the end of each month. Being a responsible teenager, however, I immediately put HALF of what they gave me into the savings account anyway. Hence the reason why at eighteen I was able to shop at Nordstrom's if I wanted to and occasionally did for nice clothes.

I'm sure John would agree with me.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Visit my thread...

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24273

They did it to me again...

My wife is finally running the D&D adventure (the three previous times she's tried to run the damn thing, the group has imploded--this time one of the players got a new job in the evenings...).

We're making 5th level Gestalt (from Unearthed Arcana) characters.

I'm a Psion/Ranger. We've got a Rogue/Cleric, Fighter/Rogue, and a Paladin/Sorcerer. They've all got Charisma. That's my dump stat. They've all got social skills. I've got Knowledges.

This character cuts out with the bad puns right in the middle of a conversation. "Look, one Gnome over there, away from the group. That's our Gnome away from Gnome."

So, guess who gets nominated to talk to the Gnomes to try to convince them that we're not out to kill them.

Right-o. I'm the freakin party spokesman again.

Again.

Sigh. Just once I'd like to get to play the antisocial misfit and make it stick.

I told them. I helped them min-max their freakin characters. I made certain that any of them could handle the talkie situations. And dammit, they stiffed me again.

As far as grumps go, that's the only one I got. mea culpa

D

Guest Skaramine

I'm always respectful to my elders.

Well, except you guys, of course. :D

Eh? You reject my elbow?

You kids today with your rebellions!

How're you going to bend your arms!