The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

The two beverages I miss the most are the Mistic brands of carbonated fruit juice (which I adore, and if any of you live somewhere where they still sell it, I will pay you to ship it to me), and Canada Dry's Lemon Ginger Ale.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

I miss Josta (Megaplayboy, IIRC was another fan). I also miss the black (grape-originated) Mountain Dew, but that was a short-term release anyway, so at least that was expected.

I'm sick of Good News stories on the Current Affairs shows. Eg Today we have a child suffering cancer. The docter won't perform the operation. The cost of it is 500,000 Aussie dollars and the procedure can only be done in the States. So naturally an appeal is made on TV to raise the cash, most probably save his life etc. And they put him (the child*) on TV for sympathy.

Why?

Ordinarily I'd feel sorry about the circumstances, but with the news media doing it so often it just becomes saturation. So this morn when it was on, I numbed myself to the story, just so I won't be manipulated emotionally. After all that is the media's raison d'être for putting on those stories -- base manipulation of emotion.

Good news? bah humbug.

I'm sick of Good News stories on the Current Affairs shows. Eg Today we have a child suffering cancer. The docter won't perform the operation. The cost of it is 500,000 Aussie dollars and the procedure can only be done in the States. So naturally an appeal is made on TV to raise the cash, most probably save his life etc. And they put him (the child*) on TV for sympathy.

Why?

Ordinarily I'd feel sorry about the circumstances, but with the news media doing it so often it just becomes saturation. So this morn when it was on, I numbed myself to the story, just so I won't be manipulated emotionally. After all that is the media's raison d'être for putting on those stories -- base manipulation of emotion.

Good news? bah humbug.

First, it's surprising to me in this day and age there are still procedures not possible in Australia but in the US.

Second, yes, as a general issue/question, I do think we are somehow, as a group, both desensitized and traumatized by the barrage of such media news.

BTW, did you see my post somewhere about how the local media here talked about a family that lost their home and pet(s) to a fire and the reporter called it a "Christmas miracle" because they survived. Yeah, I'm sure that's just what they though, "Oh, joy, it's a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!"

BTW' date=' did you see my post somewhere about how the local media here talked about a family that lost their home and pet(s) to a fire and the reporter called it a "Christmas miracle" because they survived. Yeah, I'm sure that's just what they though, "Oh, joy, it's a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!"[/quote']No I didn't see it, it the above a shortened version, if so do you have a link for the longer version?

So you loose your house to a fire and it is a "miracle". How exactly? (retorical question).

No I didn't see it, it the above a shortened version, if so do you have a link for the longer version?

So you loose your house to a fire and it is a "miracle". How exactly? (retorical question).

It wasn't much longer, if longer at all, I was just complaining.

It took me nearly THREE HOURS to make a normally 20 minute commute home yesterday.

I think IQs just drop sharply in cold weather. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to not realize that YOUR CAR IS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT PAST THE INTERSECTION!!!!!!

I sat through 11 light changes at Rt. 7 and International/Gallows. Without moving. At all. By the 10th one, I was ready to get out of my car, and recruit a few other drivers to go and stand in front of the cross traffic that hadn't yet broken the white traffic line on their side, and just stand there, letting our lanes of traffic go.

Things I have learned about myself from this board:

Getting a government-sponsored student loan makes me a THIEF. Thanks for pointing that reality of life out, Treb!

I sneer at America when I say that "if people want to say that America is the 'most moral nation in the history of Earth EVER', we better damn well act like it." Thanks, Maelstrom!

As a registered Democrat, I'm a purveyor of racism in the guise of trying to help minorities. And, my party has an active campaign to brainwash people. Thanks, annoying joke-but-turning-into-how-horrible-the-Dems-are-to-minorities thread!

I'm sure there's more things about myself that I never knew until someone on this board told me that was really what I am or think... but those are the only ones I'm annoyed about this morning.

Sorry Mr. Wolf is annoyed, but.

Republicans are hardly the varsity when it come to the "anyone who debates our social program is a racist" game.

A government backed loan is not theft if it is paid back, but a compassionate charity becoming a mandatory "entitlement to the opressed group" rather than help for the needy individual or family is.

I respect your resentment at feeling you are being called things that you are not, but I also relate to it.

Fair enough.

I was going to say "Mentor, you had the right idea to stay out of that thread" on the thread itself, but felt that it was better to just stay out of the thread entirely.

So I'll say it here - Mentor, you had the right idea to stay out of that thread! :)

It didn't help that Treb never acknowledged my response to his post or my PM about the dept of education thread ... but then, I'm just a f__king thief of his tax dollars in his eyes for even TAKING a government education loan, so why should he care? No reason at all.

I must be lower in his eyes than people on welfare.

(I'm paying back my loan btw - never missed a payment, never late, and down to only around $5K of 36K borrowed to go. Quite a masterpiece of thievery, that - paying it back with interest... )

Good to know that you don't share that opinion, anyway. I know he's your friend (and still employee?)... so that's all I'll say on the matter.

I sure didn't expect to be called a thief (or, alternatively, recipient of stolen property which is certainly no better) for getting a *loan*.

/boggle, still.

It didn't help that Treb never acknowledged my response to his post or my PM about the dept of education thread ... but then, I'm just a f__king thief of his tax dollars in his eyes for even TAKING a government education loan, so why should he care? No reason at all.

I must be lower in his eyes than people on welfare.

From what I know of Treb, I gotta wonder if he just misspoke. He doesn't seem the type to have that attitude.

As it is, I'm paying back my own Dept. of Education student loan for college. Never missed a payment, either. Thief? Nope. Not if I'm paying interest.

I wonder what one would say of me getting reimbursed for my master's from my employer, then moving on to greener pastures...

From what I know of Treb, I gotta wonder if he just misspoke. He doesn't seem the type to have that attitude.

As it is, I'm paying back my own Dept. of Education student loan for college. Never missed a payment, either. Thief? Nope. Not if I'm paying interest.

I wonder what one would say of me getting reimbursed for my master's from my employer, then moving on to greener pastures...

Trebuchet gets pretty tough in arguing often. I'm not trying to either condemn or condone in so saying, but I will say that it shouldn't be taken personally. I don't think he misspoke exactly, but I don't think it means that he thinks ill of Mr. Wolf as a person, but, rather, Mr. Wolf's ideology. Though I would count Trebuchet as a friend so am biased, still, I feel pretty certain. Consider Treb's relationship with fdbaury as evidence.

Trebuchet gets pretty tough in arguing often. I'm not trying to either condemn or condone in so saying' date=' but I will say that it shouldn't be taken personally. I don't think he misspoke exactly, but I don't think it means that he thinks ill of Mr. Wolf as a person, but, rather, Mr. Wolf's ideology. Though I would count Trebuchet as a friend so am biased, still, I feel pretty certain. Consider Treb's relationship with fdbaury as evidence.[/quote']

Oh, Trebuchet. I was thinking death tribble ('Trib', vs. 'Treb') for some reason. Never mind.

Coulda fooled me if so, Zornwil.

Sure didn't feel like an attack on "my ideology" (which is what, exactly, that I wanted to go to grad school and didn't have a problem getting a commercial loan for one year and a government loan for the other? Does that qualify as an ideology?), so much as calling me a thief.

But of course, as the target, I'm sure my reaction is biased.

It took me nearly THREE HOURS to make a normally 20 minute commute home yesterday.

I think IQs just drop sharply in cold weather. I mean, how stupid do you have to be to not realize that YOUR CAR IS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT PAST THE INTERSECTION!!!!!!

I sat through 11 light changes at Rt. 7 and International/Gallows. Without moving. At all. By the 10th one, I was ready to get out of my car, and recruit a few other drivers to go and stand in front of the cross traffic that hadn't yet broken the white traffic line on their side, and just stand there, letting our lanes of traffic go.

Welcome to winter driving in the D.C. area, the place where people freak out if they see one snowflake touch the ground.

Although I can't stand the jackasses with four wheel drive that think that because they have four wheel drive they can just go speeding past me and not have to worry if they end up spraying snow all over my windshield giving me absolutely no visibility what-so-ever. (this has happened to me twice)

Welcome to winter driving in the D.C. area, the place where people freak out if they see one snowflake touch the ground.

Although I can't stand the jackasses with four wheel drive that think that because they have four wheel drive they can just go speeding past me and not have to worry if they end up spraying snow all over my windshield giving me absolutely no visibility what-so-ever. (this has happened to me twice)

See, I've lived here all my life. But I've NEVER seen it like that in the 'not quite DC proper' areas.

My problem isn't the 4wd's speeding past me... it's the ones tailing me, so when I stop in my little AWD Subaru, they slide ominously close to my rear bumper.

Oh, and the fact that cross traffic will squeeze into virtually every conceivable spot to get to where they're going. Six lanes of traffic on a four lane road, anybody? It's like trying to sqeeze 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound bag.

Oh, and the fact that cross traffic will squeeze into virtually every conceivable spot to get to where they're going. Six lanes of traffic on a four lane road, anybody? It's like trying to sqeeze 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound bag.

What do you think sidewalks are for?