It's all about willpower

I'm lookin' to make a hero who's main power is the ability to 'boost' his existing abilities. Think of a Capt. America type guy--not supersoldier, but better than normal stats. Put him in a position where his regular abilities aren't quite enough and he can 'will' himself to do better. For example:

"No one could survive that!" - Damage Reduction, maybe?

"I've got to lift this heavy thing, or else!" - Aid to STR?

"If I don't move fast enough that bomb will blow!" -- Aid to Running (or Spd, maybe).

...and so on.

So...I'm looking for ideas on the best way to do that, and for specific abilities or powers. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: It's all about willpower

I'd build it as a Cosmic VPP with Limited Power' date=' Only to Enhance Pushing Effect[/quote']

That's what I thought at first, too, but don't the rules say you can't 'push' anything that doesn't cost END? Kinda rules out BODY, STUN, PD and/or ED, SPEED, DEX, etc. Unless I'm missing something it's not quite the effect I was going for, but thanks.

That's what I thought at first' date=' too, but don't the rules say you can't 'push' anything that doesn't cost END? Kinda rules out BODY, STUN, PD and/or ED, SPEED, DEX, etc. Unless I'm missing something it's not quite the effect I was going for, but thanks.[/quote']

Yes, normally you can't Push things that don't cost END. But in this case you are enhancing the push rulls with your VPP.

Why not just 'AID to (whatever) stats, must make Ego Roll'. Still, this may not be what you want. A Multipower with individual powers to represent his 'pushing himself' might work. A suggestion is below that might be challenged by the rules (I don't have the book in front of me and haven't looked at it in awhile):

Multipower - Willpower

u. 'I refuse to get sick' +40 Con (no fig cha), 10 pts Power Defense, costs end

u. 'No one could've survived that' Damage Reduction 3/4 Resist vs PD, costs end

u. 'No one could've survived that' as above vs ED

u. 'I've got to move this!' +50 Str (no fig cha)

u. 'Move it or else!' +20" Running, x8 NCM, costs end

etc etc.

Thought I'd throw this out from the top of my head. Does this mean I'm standing on my head?? :D

Or Transfer "own EGO to any of own stat"? As a GM I would buy off on it (depending on entire character configuration, of course). I would just buy up his EGO to a suitable level. It would simulate well the degree to which his EGO is needed, and escape the kinda boring, "based on EGO, I just need 17/less to trigger the Aid".

I wouldn't get too stuck on semantics...VVP; RSR:Will roll, Slightly limited group "Pushing abilitys" (about as limiting as "magic" as descibed) and Boom....home run...."And THIS is for my pal joey!" (Big a** HA....etc....)...