Mind Trap: How To Build It?

Every so often, I come up with something I can't figure out how to do. This is one of those times...

I would like the ability to work like this:

If my character is attacked with a Mental Power, the trap is sprung. The trap is Mind Scan, which is used to lock the attacker into my mind, allowing me to attack back regardless of either of our locations, or whether or not the target tries to withdraw. The attacker will still be able to use the Mind Scan link to continue to attack me of course. The trap is that he won't be able to withdraw until he makes his EGO Roll or counters the Mind Scan with a Mental Power of his own.

No, how can I build this? I was originally thinking Damage Shield, but that will only last until the attacker withdraws, or I make my EGO Roll. I want this to continue. Trigger might work, but I lack the rules for making a Trigger automatically reset each use. I've also played with the idea of just saying it's the SFX of my character using his next action to Mind Scan the attacker (being able to target him due to the nature of Mental Powers), but I'd rather use that action to start my own attack.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Mind Trap: How To Build It?

You just need Damage Shield: the effect will continue, in the same way as the Stun you take from an EB Damage Shield will continue on beyond touching the character. The only way it would shut off is if you had it in a Multipower or VPP and switched slots or something like that.

I'm looking for something that doesn't involve "I'm the GM" as part of the reasoning. I am the GM, but I'm thinking of taking this character to an upcoming convention where I won't be the GM, so I want something as legal as possible.

At any rate, with Mind Scan being constant, rather than instant, it's effect will end as soon as mental contact ends, cuting the link. If it was instant, like Telepathy, then the connection would last (but then I'd also have to apply Continuous to the Telepathy before adding Damage Shield).

On second thought' date=' what you really want is a Mind Link damage shield.[/quote']

I thought about that, but wouldn't it only affect the attacker if he's at 0 ECV? And even then he'd be able to drop out of it as a 0 Phase action.

Sorry, forgot my books at a friend's but was able to open HD in another window so... Looks like Mind Scan is out [not an attack power so no DS and you did say you wanted this legal]. Will think more about this tomorrow night but I've got a 12 hr workday startin in 6 hrs.

At any rate' date=' with Mind Scan being constant, rather than instant, it's effect will end as soon as mental contact ends, cuting the link. If it was instant, like Telepathy, then the connection would last (but then I'd also have to apply Continuous to the Telepathy before adding Damage Shield).[/quote']

I believe what Steve was saying is that you would only continue to roll Mind Scan Effects as long as the character with the Damage Shield was being affected by a mental power. He never specifically said that the Effect itself went away because the attacker withdrew.

Of course, I could have missed a post where he did say that, but then Damage Shield is virtually worthless on Mind Scan, or at least should have a Limitation applied to it, as it is greatly reduced from its normal effectiveness.

But Mind Scan doesn't work that way normally (making a roll each and every Phase). You just roll once and that effect continues until the target breaks out.

I suppose I could just say Damage Shield will work and be done with it, and hope whatever GM I find will allow it as written. Finding such a GM that would allow this type of Power might be just as likely.

But Mind Scan doesn't work that way normally (making a roll each and every Phase). You just roll once and that effect continues until the target breaks out.

I suppose I could just say Damage Shield will work and be done with it, and hope whatever GM I find will allow it as written. Finding such a GM that would allow this type of Power might be just as likely.

You could make it 0 END & Uncontrolled...

You roll your Mind Scan once for every time you attack a target with it. The effects continue until the victim succeeds with the breakout roll.

With a Damage Shield, the target is attacked with the Damage Shield each time the target attacks you. So every mental attack against you gives you another Mind Scan roll. The effects continue until the victim (= attacker) succeeds with the breakout roll -- if the victim breaks off mental contact with his own mental power, your Mind Scan Damage Shield doesn't end (until he makes that breakout roll).

Question is, does the victim have to make a breakout roll for each Mind Scan he triggered the Damage Shield for? Or does he only get affected by the best roll?

All right, here's what he said to me:

"It works just like ordinary Mind Scan -- once the Mind Scan shuts off (as described in previous answers), the character no longer retains a link/lock-on to the target. He doesn't lose his knowledge (if any) of the target's location as of when he used Mind Scan... but of course the target might go somewhere else after the Mind Scan shuts off."

I take this to mean that it does not shut off after your attacker breaks the link (by not continuing a mental assault of any sort), but only if you shut off the Power, yourself. You can shut it off by shifting a Pool to another slot (by the book), or by choosing to shut it off (by the FAQ), but "ordinary Mind Scan" continues without continued expenditure of END. Therefore, it should continue even if the victim discontinues his mental assault, or even if you turn off the DS, as long as you still have the Power (haven't lost a Focus, shifted the points to something else, or anything of that sort).

Well, it makes sense to me, anyway.

You could make it 0 END & Uncontrolled...

DOH! I meant make the Damage Shield 0 END & Uncontrolled. Since Mind Scan is already Constant, the Uncontrolled part would maintain contact until you either fell asleep or the victim managed to break contact.

Sheesh. That's what I get for making comments when I should be sleeping. :idjit: