Other Superhero System Adventures

bryanb

Hi All,

I am looking for old adventures to adapt to my current Champions campaign. Does anyone know any superhero adventures that were written by companies other than Hero Games (Champions), FGU (Vigilantes and Villains), Mayfair Games (DC Heroes) and TSR (Marvel SH)? If so please list any that were good?

Thanks

Re: Other Superhero System Adventures

Originally posted by bryanb I am looking for old adventures to adapt to my current Champions campaign. Does anyone know any superhero adventures that were written by companies other than Hero Games (Champions), FGU (Vigilantes and Villains), Mayfair Games (DC Heroes) and TSR (Marvel SH)?

Hey! You left out Superhero 2044! :-)

I played a lot of V&V, so I'd suggest a lot of those adventures. Some of them don't pass the smell test (especially the later ones), but I was always rather fond of Crisis at Crusader Citadel -- in fact, I just got a copy of that on e-Bay (ptui) so that I could convert it to Champions. I also liked the FORCE modules (FORCE and the sequel, Assassin).

One of my favourites was Dawn of DNA, 'cause the Knights Errant were such an interesting team and 'cause the adventure clearly takes place in Toronto (although Toronto is never specifically mentioned).

Two other Villains & Vigilantes adventures were Death Duel with the Destroyers and the sequel The Island of Doctor Apocalypse . They were written by Bill Willingham, of Elementals fame. The first was a great adventure, with a villain team and a giant mech-type robot. The second one had the main villain mastermind, who I ended up replacing with Dr. Destroyer. They made for some good gaming.

Probably a redundant response, but the adventure supplements for WOTC's Marvel Superheroes Adventure game had a fair number of short story hooks and were very light on rules and game mechanics (since the system as a whole was light on rules and game mechanics). The forthcoming Marvel Universe RPG will, from all indications, be even more fluid with regard to details like time, distance, velocity, etc.

A more expensive option is to look at games like Brave New World, Adventure, Godlike or Aberrant as non-four colour settings for dimensional travel stories. The rulebooks lay out enough setting information to trigger some story ideas, and since you're only visiting, you can involve your characters in some of the biggest crises and events that universe has to offer.

I really liked the adventure that Mayfair packaged with the DC Heroes box set that was for the JLI. Of course, the reason I liked it was because of how well it worked in certain bits of comic continuity and certain major events that had happened in recent years in the comics (the Invasion! and Legends crossovers), so I'm not sure how well it could adapt for use in a non-JLI hero game although when I first discovered Champions, I started working on translating all the JLI characters to Champs just to run this adventure. I finished Booster Gold, Blue Beetle and Martian Manhunter and got tired of the project half-way through Guy Gardner. I was new to the system at the time, so I'm not sure how well I translated all the characters but I remember being pretty impressed with myself.

Other than that, I don't think I've ever read a superhero adventure module.

I'd highly suggest the original V&V boxed set adventure... though very similar to Island of Dr. Destroyer the villains in the book are excellent... and a friend and I translated them to Hero a long time ago. Very good "terrorist" supervillain types.

Brave New World was just that... a great world to play in, but a total crap system... very limiting. If you have a lot of time and energy, translating that world into Hero would be a game I'd LOVE to hear about or play in. That world is full of the political changes and alternate history that could come about due to the presence of superhumans. Great stuff... sourcebook wise... but again, the system was horrendous and severely limiting.

Chaosium put out a game called Superworld , there was at least one scenario book called something like Trouble with H.A.V.O.K. The scenarios varied in quality from semi mundane to poor. It does have stats for 3rd ed. champions though.

Judges Guild put out a Villains and Vigilantes or Champs adventure but I've never seen it.

Enforcers , Odd, rarely heard of super system, had at least one scenario/module but I'd be very wary.

Steve Jackson Games, Wild Cards sourcebook based on the anthology series. Good source material but highly criticized system and is somewhat Wild Cards world specific. Mike Surbrook, I think, did translations for the characters and has them posten on his site.

Wild Cards adventure , Sorry, I can't recall the title, globe spanning adventure against a superhuman conspiracy. I liked it but many don't. Not 4 colour at all rather real world.

School of Hard Knocks, SJG, by Aaron Allston. Fun adventure about an emerging super who's powers are noticed by some villains. Several reusable bad guys. 4th Ed Champs stats are on Aaron Allstons site which is linked in the Other section of Hero's links page. reccomended.

Supertemps, mostly a character book about the employees of a superhuman talent agency which matches superpowers to specific jobs. Some good ideas but a bit specific to a certain kind of campaign.

Gurps I.S.T., interesting Apollonian world with some fun villains and settings. I like it but it isn't immediately reworkable to a typical champs campaign. Good source of character concepts.

IST Jamaica, a setting for a UN superteam in the Caribean. Useful if you want the campaign to go to Jamaica.

Gurps Super adventures, sorry, I only know it exists.

Different Worlds magazine, put out a annual Superheroes issue, mostly write ups of established characters, X-men, Teen titans, Dnagents but had the occasional adventure.

The Space Gamer, occasionally ran a super adventure, the original School of Hard Knocks for champs, Microfilm madness - reworked and part of the Viper sourcebook, and One from the H.E.A.R.T.

I know there are more but I can't recall them now. Hope this helps.

There was also a product called Brave New World, which was part superheroic and part alternate history. It had its good points (in some ways more believable than any superheroic campaign I've ever seen) and bad points (excessively low powered, in other ways comes close to GURPS IST for wishful thinking, spotty editting, major continuity points of later books not being properly foreshadowed in earlier books (insert "midichlorian" crack here)). I've borrowed a lot of material from their products -- but not one of the adventures, which tend to be too dependent on the setting.