Pulp Hero

fredrik_nilsson

Re: Pulp Hero

The old version was called "Justice Inc." It was one of HERO's earlier products.

It was one of HERO's better products :)

I say that with fond enthusiasm because it was what got me really hooked on the Hero system.

Aroooo

Did the original Pulp Hero handle it as a meta-genre or more as an epoch?

Despite my above comment, its been a long while since reading it, so my memory may be a bit off, but as I recall, a bit of both. There were 2 books in the original box set, and one covered the rules and genre, and the second was a sourcebook for the 20's and 30's.

Aroooo

That sounds great. I sure hope they will have both in the new book too, but if I were to choose between them I would pick style.

It would be great if the book coming Pulp Hero book also mentioned the styles that often are confused with Pulp (for example Noir).

Even if it's not truely "staying in topic", my favourite soultion would be to have the book threat the other styles (Noir, Camp, Lovecraftian horror, and so on) as sub-genres of Pulp, in the same way as Fantasy Hero discuss Urban Fantasy.

It was one of HERO's better products :)

I say that with fond enthusiasm because it was what got me really hooked on the Hero system.

Indeed. It got me in too.

I eventually sent my copy to a bloke in Iceland who was complaining that there was no outlet for HERO products in Iceland (and this was before Amazon.com). I don't regret the generous impulse, but I do miss my JI materials.

Justice Incorporated is probably the main reason that pulp gaming retains a small but loyal following among Herophiles today. That and its companion supplement, Lands Of Mystery, are exceptional game books. No real suprise with Aaron Allston in the writing credits. :) JI still shows up from time to time on eBay and various online used game retailers, such as Noble Knight Games.

BTW if you're interested in pulp era gaming and haven't yet browsed through the "Hero Links" at the top of this page, I would direct you to the "Other Genre" and "Miscellaneous" links. You'll find several fine websites devoted to it.

Does anyone remember the old Fantasy Games Unlimited product, Cliffhangers. I remember liking that game. FGU used to make some games that were impossible to play because the rules were too complex, but this one was pretty simple. Cliffhangers had some great background information on the era (history, equipment and weapons), some great examples of the archetypical characters of the genre and a cool scenario involving pulp era ninjas. I had to get rid of the books during The Great Closet Purge of 1992, but I still remember it fondly. You might be able to find one cheap somewhere. The Hero System rules are better, but it might be useful.

Does anyone remeber the old Fantasy Games Unlimited product' date=' Cliffhangers. I remember liking that game. FGU used to make some games that were impossible to play because the rules were too complex, but this one was pretty simple. Cliffhangers had some great background information on the era (history, equipment and weapons), some great examples of the archetypical characters of the genre and a cool scenario involving pulp era ninjas. I had to get rid of the books during The Great Closet Purge of 1992, but I still remember it fondly. You might be able to find one cheap somewhere. The Hero System rules are better, but it might be useful.[/quote']

I think Cliffhangers was GURPS, although FGU did have a Pulp game but its name escapes me at the moment. (Maybe when I get home...) But you're right about FGU's rules in general; althogh their game Psi World (one of my all time favorite games) was pretty simple.

Aroooo