Kitty ~ How to write

LadyChaos

No, not Kitty Pride. Belle. The Cat.

All of my supers seem to be of the angst ridden ilk. One of the teams lost its mentalist. I toyed around with ideas and this one stuck with me.

Ever see Secret of NIMH? Belle is an ordinary housecat who was picked up off the street and sold to a research institute. Through various experiments and drugs, she developed not only intelligence but psychic abilities. Using these, she was able to escape the lab and head out on her own.

But she's still a cat with a cat's attitude. She's been getting by mind controlling likely humans ("See the cat. Pretty Kitty. You should feed the kitty.") She takes off whenever a human wants to restrain her or *gasp* spay her.

How'd she get involved with crime fighting? Well, one of our players (and the PC) really dislikes cats. I talked to the player and we both think it'd be funny if Belle attached herself to Fury. Since Fury dislikes cats, Belle in catlike perverseness wants to stick around. Fury leads a super team.

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions for how to reflect Belle as a feline instead of just another mentalist.

Thanks!

Re: Kitty ~ How to write

Hmmm,

Give her size and 'no fine manipulation' physical disads.

a psych lim to represent a cat's short attention span.

LS: Immune to heat : cat's can stand 140 degree Farenheit temps.

also LS: need less food. You are small, cat's don't eat much, and if fed moist food or live food, get most of the water they need from their prey.

Stealth skill at high level aMUST!

roleplay her catness to the hilt. ental commands should have what a CAT would think appropriate. instead of Mind Controlling an enemy to surrender, tell him to roll over and expose his throat.

Well, let's see:

I don't think a cat would have a Code vs. Killing; animals kill to survive, especially if they've been living without human care, like this one. It's quite possible that Belle might even have a "Casual Killer" Psych Lim, if you want to go that extreme.

OTOH cats seem to enjoy "playing" with their prey before finishing it off. I shudder to think of what a sentient cat with mind-controlling powers would do to an enemy. :eek:

A few other stereotypical cat qualities come to mind as possible Lims: "Curious," "Independent and Stubborn," "Sensualist," "Territorial."

I know from experience that cats hate to be closed out of any area or activity. I think you could expect Belle to be poking into restricted areas and eavesdropping on secret meetings fairly often.

Cats are masters of ingratiating themselves with others, as part of marking them as "theirs." I wouldn't be surprised if a sentient cat had a pretty respectable Seduction Skill (in the broad sense of the term).

Let me think on this some more. :think:

Mechanically, if you want to be somewhat subtle about it, you could give her a buttload of PRE based skills (persuasion, seduction, conversation, etc)

And an boosted PRE that only affects her skill rolls if the target doesn't have mental defense. (or levels that only work on people with weak/no mental defense)

As for making her 'catty', well just think like a cat. What do cats want?

They want to be fed. If they have enough food, they want water. If they have that, then they want to be warmer. (Provided you aren't living in Death Valley or somesuch) Television sets and computer monitors are cat magnets in most temperate regions.

What do they want from people? Typically, cats want people to be surrogate mothers. That's typically the only contact they have had in their lives with a larger creature that provides them with stuff. They want you to sit/lie down and make a spot for them, groom them and provide them with body heat.

That's assuming they aren't treating you as mobile furniture. If that's the case, then they want you to hold still so they can rub against your leg so you are clearly marked as 'theirs'.

And don't make so much noise. Cats are descended from predators and typically sleep up to 16 hours a day to conserve energy. Difficult at best with noisy humans stomping about, let alone paranormal ones. Their hearing is better than normal humans, so if they don't respond, it isn't because they didn't hear you, it's because they're ignoring you.

"pretty kitty. I should feed the kitty..."

Full Defense Maneuver + enough DCV levels to represent her size

Phys Lim: Small

Standard Mentalist Multipower w/variable slots

23 Dex?

-5 Str?

Enough Enhanced Senses to get your roll to 15- or 16-

Superleap, only to reduce falling distance

Double jointed

Invisible to Hearing group; RASR: Stealth

Invisible to Sight group; only where seeing a cat would be appropriate (people won't see you as a threat - you're a cat)...

Um, just for the record--cats do eat less, but a missed meal is way more damaging to a cat than to a person. So, you could counter the LS:diminished eating with increased damage when doesn't eat?

I'd also take a psych lim of 'distractable,' or something. Cats track by motion, so it should be easy for Belle to be distracted by something she barely noticed out of the corner of her eye.

Ooh--what about a hunted: random little girl who wants a pet?

"Ooh, mommy! Kitty!"

Or, better yet, DNPC?

"Grace, don't you run out there in front of Grond!"

"But the kitty, mommy! The kitty!"

heh heh heh... :eg:

How strange... Our team mentalist is a rabbit...

One of his odd quirks is that his telepathic powers only work on the Human class of minds...so he can't even "talk to animals" and it drives him up a wall whenever somone assumes he can just because he's a bunny. What's worse is he still has an overriding fear of many natural predators like dogs and cats, who are completly immune to his mind control and ego blasts. The fear is actually strong enough that he seems to forget he is a telekinetic when copnfronteed by such oppostiont. What can I say: instincts suck some times.

He's also high strung as can be. Not a good quality for somone that casually tosses around 6d6 Ego blasts and can lift over a ton with the power of his mind.

Something that might be interesting for a cat though would be a Succeptability/Dependence on Catnip. Stoned Kitty + Awsome Psychic Powers = hours of fun...

How strange... Our team mentalist is a rabbit...

One of his odd quirks is that his telepathic powers only work on the Human class of minds...so he can't even "talk to animals" and it drives him up a wall whenever somone assumes he can just because he's a bunny. What's worse is he still has an overriding fear of many natural predators like dogs and cats, who are completly immune to his mind control and ego blasts. The fear is actually strong enough that he seems to forget he is a telekinetic when copnfronteed by such oppostiont. What can I say: instincts suck some times.

He's also high strung as can be. Not a good quality for somone that casually tosses around 6d6 Ego blasts and can lift over a ton with the power of his mind.

Something that might be interesting for a cat though would be a Succeptability/Dependence on Catnip. Stoned Kitty + Awsome Psychic Powers = hours of fun...

LOL

(Both the rabbit and the stoned kitty)