Run! Live Action Sailor Moon!

Michael Hopcroft

Someone in japan actually did a live=action series based on the classic manga and anime Pretty Solider Sailor Moon. YOu would think this would be a recipie for disaster, and a lot of fans originally saw it as a joke, but the end result has turned out so far to be quite watchable.

However, the characters are sturning out to be wuite differnet, the plot does not follow the anime storyline, and some fot characters do not behave ion the ways we are used to them behaving. Tuxedo kame, for example, is first seen trying to rob a jewelry store only to be thwarted by Sailor V, who is apparently active in Tokyo. The youma are abbit cheesier than in tiem anime, but what do you exiect from a combination of CGI and guys in suits. Both USagi and Ami change hair color when they transform.

When someone has seen a few more episodes, I am hoping to find some live-action specific writeups. The characters seem capable of doing things they are not able to do in the anime (Sailor Mercury at one point opens a protal into subspace to get Sailor Moon an escape route) and there are a few neat tricks like the secret headquarters hidden inside an all-ages karaoke club (When usagi shows the manager her all-year pass and meririly walks by, the manager asks himslef "Do we have all-year passes?")

Oh, and Luna is a living plushie. Which actually makes it easier for her because Usagi can just carry her everywhere without arousing suspicion.

Re: Run! Live Action Sailor Moon!

Sailor Moon is an entire INDUSTRY in Japan... not only are there the series (several of them, both TV and OVA) and movies (several of them) and the Live Action TV Series there are entire conventions centered around SM as well as Plays/Musicals and other presentations based off of it.

Not to mention all the STUFF you can buy. Video games, various collectibles, CCGs, Collectable Cards series, toys .... oh the list is endless.

It pains me to think that the atrocity that is SM is more a force of nature than anything else.... silly Japanese.

Seeing as you're obviously into anime ... I'll take the opportunity to point you towards: Nan Desu Kan ... anime convention in Colorado (http://www.ndk.cc) since I'm not only utterly shameless but if you felt like taking the trip out I think you'd enjoy the convention quite a bit.

Seeing as you're obviously into anime ... I'll take the opportunity to point you towards: Nan Desu Kan ... anime convention in Colorado (http://www.ndk.cc) since I'm not only utterly shameless but if you felt like taking the trip out I think you'd enjoy the convention quite a bit.

I'd take the trip out if I could afrford it -- but I say the same thing about GenCon. And that's entirely unlikely. On my income, I'm lucky I can get to local club meetings.

Actually, having watched it from the start...I like it better than the anime...it's more like a drama and they get a lot more into the characters than the anime did. Sure the fights are a little bit quick, but the point is the drama, not the violence. If you were to do it for HERO, you'd have to work out a fighting style based on Gymnatics and Ballet, though....

Rob

Actually, having watched it from the start...I like it better than the anime...it's more like a drama and they get a lot more into the characters than the anime did. Sure the fights are a little bit quick, but the point is the drama, not the violence. If you were to do it for HERO, you'd have to work out a fighting style based on Gymnatics and Ballet, though....

This is not entirely impossivble. Remember Caperoia, the Braziliam martial arts whose practioners disgused it as dance moves so their slave-owner masters wouldn;t discover that their slaves were learning how to fight? Something like that is entirely possible here.

Build a style full of Acrobatic Didges, Leaps, and a few leg Sweeps (that somehow rarely connect -- maybe -2 OCV, +2 DCV?)

Yeah' date=' yeah, nice review. Where are the pics of the girls?![/quote']

I don't know. But they're cute. And they can sing. Crown Arcade is now a karaoke club, Aino Minako is already a famous idol, and all sorts of other things are going on. Oh, and when she is not transformed Usagi has BLACK hair.

We don't know mcuh about Tuxedo kamen from where we stand in the series. We first see him trying to rob a jewelry store, only to be intercepted and battled by Sailor V. We don't know WHAT he;s after, and things are following neither the manga nor the anime directly.

Try here for some pics.....

http://sailormoon.channel.or.jp/jisha/cast_01.html

G

P.S. Ami is cute

Ami has always been cute, from the manga days on down. There's just something about these girls that makes me want to like them, though. (Though that doesn;t neccesaily mean sexual interest -- after all, they would be underage and I do have standards when it comes to my sex-symbols).

I don't know why Mr. Hopcraft is surprised by the fact that Tuxedo Karman is a theith. He was always ment to be a gem theith. I mean, how is he supose to find the SIC to give to his dream princess if he dosen't scour jewerie stores.

Acualy, this fact was true in both the anime and manga. It was downgraded in the original anime, but it was still there (in fact, in the first epasold, Usagi compaired Tuxedo Karman to the original Lupan).

I have been a fan of anime and Japanese dramas since the days of Star Blazers / Space Battleship Yamato and Sailor Moon is no exception. I have been following this new series since it began and so far I am pretty impressed. The effects are awful by American standards, but unlike a lot of American shows, the effects are not what the series is about. It is a little cheesy but if you are a fan of the original manga and anime, I think you would like it. Here are a few links:

The Official site (in Japanese)

An American site with plot synopses and interviews

Another interesting US site

Holy Mother of God!!! You scared the poop out of me with this title! I was having flashbacks to my old Anime Club's (Otaku North in Prince George B.C.) hazing ritual. Dr.Skipper, Mini Powdered Donut Jems, and....Sailor Moon M!!

A live action piece created for the Mr. Lady Competition.

Think about it.

Mr. Lady.

Now stop screaming.

Am I the only person on the boards that's seen it?

Am I the only person on the boards that's seen it?

Prehaps, but I remember seeing an all male, FAT, Sailor Moon troup photos. Then there is the photo of "Sailor Bubba" in the recent ish of Wizard's Anime Insider.

But images of a live action, black haired Tuskino Usagi does not frighten me one bit. Prehaps the 'talking stuffie' Luna. Which reminds me...where is Artimus?

Prehaps, but I remember seeing an all male, FAT, Sailor Moon troup photos. Then there is the photo of "Sailor Bubba" in the recent ish of Wizard's Anime Insider.

But images of a live action, black haired Tuskino Usagi does not frighten me one bit. Prehaps the 'talking stuffie' Luna. Which reminds me...where is Artimus?

There is a stuffed plushie Artemis, he shows up much later in the series. Actually, the coolest characters in the series are the Shi-ten-ou, the four "evil" lieutenants of Queen Beryl, especially Zoicite, Zoicite rocks! ^_^ (No pun intended.) Jadeite is annoying, but the other three are all cool in their own ways. Unlike the Anime they don't die quite as easily, in fact I'm not sure they CAN die, they just revert back to crystal form....Gonna be a whole lotta death in this series soon, though, they're up to 38, and it should end around 50.

Rob

There is a stuffed plushie Artemis, he shows up much later in the series. Actually, the coolest characters in the series are the Shi-ten-ou, the four "evil" lieutenants of Queen Beryl, especially Zoicite, Zoicite rocks! ^_^ (No pun intended.) Jadeite is annoying, but the other three are all cool in their own ways. Unlike the Anime they don't die quite as easily, in fact I'm not sure they CAN die, they just revert back to crystal form....Gonna be a whole lotta death in this series soon, though, they're up to 38, and it should end around 50.

Rob

Humm...It should be interesting. Anyways, I asume that Kunzite rocks also. Is the relationship between Kunzite and Zoicite the same as in the anime (I know the manga the relationship is not)? As for the fact that "thay can not die", acualy, thay ARE dead (of the un kind)...just well perserved by Queen Beryl and Queen Metalica.

Should make for some good writups, thoe. Basicly spirits of dead human magical generals infused into there namesake rocks and mimiced human bodys.

If it's any conslation, the Senchi's transofrmations also change their hair color. So while Usagi has black hair. Sailor Moon is still blonde. And Rei dyes her hair light brown, but goes black when she transofrms into Sailor Mars. Ami doesn;t dye her hair, and wears it long (and wears glasses!) but when she transforms she loses the glasses and gains a blue hairdo that defies description.

Humm...It should be interesting. Anyways' date=' I asume that Kunzite rocks also. Is the relationship between Kunzite and Zoicite the same as in the anime (I know the manga the relationship is not)? [/quote']

Not even close, actually those two pretty much hate each other. The relationships of the characters on the bad guy team are pretty different...Basically Jadeite and Nephlite are both under a "love" spell that makes them worship Beryl, but Kunzite and Zoicite are not under magical control, they are just bonded to Beryl because she controls the rocks they are bonded to. That's what makes things so interesting, because Kunzite and Zoicite know what's REALLY going on and have their own adjendas. You can't compare them much with the anime versions at all.

Rob

You've seen father along than I have. waa.

I see them english subbed about a week after they air in Japan. :winkgrin:

Gooood watching! ^__^ Wait until you hit the 20's...there are episodes there that reduced people I know to tears :weep: ....The show has some major heart.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I see them english subbed about a week after they air in Japan. :winkgrin:

Gooood watching! ^__^ Wait until you hit the 20's...there are episodes there that reduced people I know to tears :weep: ....The show has some major heart.

Rob

That is what I realy love about Sailor Moon (both the anime and manga), that there is real pathoes hidden within a story about a teenage girl growing up and learning to be responcable. It is worth viewing the epasolds when she is doing something utterly stupid to get to the real sob epasolds.

Now, if only someone would release the epasolds here (eather on TV or DVD)...