Best New GC Master Villain

Metaphysician

Re: Best New GC Master Villain

Which of the four new master villains is the best??

Mechanon 3K??

The Recruiter??

The Slug 3K??

Sovereign??

I'll go with Sovereign. He had a potent and versatile power set without being the overpowered monstrosity that Mechanon 3000 is. Sovereign also had an interesting personality/motivation. In many ways, he reminded me of Ozmandias from the Watchmen.

Rob

Personally I would equate "best" with "most interesting to run"/ "most long-term campaign potential." By those criteria - much as I love the new Mechanon - I have to agree with Dr. MID-Nite. Sovereign is the man, er, Mandaarian.

BTW Meta, is there a particular reason you left Arcane off?

Partly because he's listed in the "team" section, partly because I think he has a few too many issues as is to work as a true master villain. . .

. . .and partly because, if I were running a campaign, I'd redesign Arcane as a Doc Manhattan-esque neutral rather than a villain. :)

Yeah, if she were statted, Viperia 3000 would probably be in the "Holy Shit, We Are All Going to Die" range. Not so much for the straight power boost, but for the fact that she's now mature and intelligent.

Of course, the fact that she's probably hauling around raw physical stats comparable to Supernova, and a cosmic pool of Ancient Serpent Magic doesn't hurt. . .

Yeah' date=' if she were statted, Viperia 3000 would probably be in the "Holy Shit, We Are All Going to Die" range. Not so much for the straight power boost, but for the fact that she's now mature and intelligent.[/quote']

I don't know ... sure, she's a thousand years older, but she spent that thousand years asleep. Unless Nama signed her up for advanced courses at the University Of The Dream Dimension before taking his own nap, how much maturing/improving could she have done?

I don't know ... sure' date=' she's a thousand years older, but she spent that thousand years asleep. Unless Nama signed her up for advanced courses at the University Of The Dream Dimension before taking his own nap, how much maturing/improving could she have done?[/quote']

Well, if Tuwishande is now *running* an organization, that's definitely a big improvement from where we last saw her -- which was with the attention span of a toddler and a vocabulary that didn't get much past "Oooo, I want it!" "Shiny!" and "Viperia Smash!"

I thought the Examiner was a pretty good writeup for a quasi-antagonistic Space God writeup. He's not actually unbeatable, unless you give him a moment to breathe, then everyone's toast ;)

But it is an example of a character without outrageous stats or defenses who happens to have an "ultra power"(in this case a 500 pt. VPP!). He could be written up as a more formal master villain antagonist, with the correct psych lims, and maybe a vulnerability(or adding a focus lim to the VPP).

Yep. Its not the thousand years that matured her' date=' its the 15 or so years before the mana collapse.[/quote']

That's what I was thinking.

I was wondering how much time she spent free thousands of years ago before she was put to sleep the first time. I think she was barely into her teens then. With no one around who could tell her "No!" and make it stick. Still, that couldn't have been very long. 10-15 years, tops?

Between the time she is re-awakened in the mid-90s and 2020, she'll have a lot more exposure and a chance to grow up. Granted, she'll be under the thumb of the Supreme Serpent all that time, so she won't grow up in a goodway, but she'll have a better sense of tactics and strategy, plus, I would imagine that she'd wind up learning a lot about how to run VIPER as well. She's NOT stupid in the slightest, just inexperienced. And that will change.

There's also her friendship with Gravitar to consider. She'll have (at least in a limited sense) a life outside of VIPER (I imagine Nama is rather amused about that whole situation).

So by the time she and Nama need to wait out the decline of magic, she's already got a lot more XP in background and organizational skills. I'd love to run her and Nama in Champs 3000 as a sort of "Berg Katze / Sosai X" relationship. With the various VIPER generals as interchangable/throwaway cannon fodder. Although you'd have the occasional truly competent leader who rises in the ranks to give the heroes some real trouble.

Or heck - go the Big Fire route and have Viperia as the rarely seen head of VIPER's "Magnificent 10" tier of superpowered leaders! When SHE comes out to play, you know:

1) You've actually gotten her attention. This means you've been doing an excellent job.

2) You've gotten her attention, and now you're going to pay dearly for it. Owie...