Rampaging through the Champions Universe

Powerhouse

For the most part, I really like the Champions 5th edition universe. That said, there are some that I can't stand and I'd REALLY love to see get killed off.

Assuming that your PC's wanted to take a break from being the good guys and instead created some new characters with one purpose: kill any person in the champions universe they can. One request: no real life figures please but instead limit yourself to fictional Champions characters.

My picks: BullDozer from CKC and pretty much the entire Unity team. The brainy one especially! Let's see... 40 int and the only thing I equip myself with is a pathetic little zap gun. It doesn't take a genius to see that he's going to get the crap smacked out of him.

Re: Rampaging through the Champions Universe

Well, I've been running a villain campaign for a little over a year now :D So far the only "named" casualties have been Holocaust (while running the Champions Battleground scenario he's in, the PC's got torqued that he couldn't be reasoned with) and Eurostar (who they were hired to kill, and succeeded).

The last session had them trying to fulfill a contract to kill the Champions, but Interface betrayed the PC's. He decided to show the world how powerful he was by killing "both your precious heroes AND your precious villains", the better to show them he was "beyond your conveniences of good and evil". Yeah, basically the Champions Battleground scenario twisted to be used with villains...

The PC's and Champions had to work together (and it still took them almost 3 turns). After the battle it looked like they were going to go their seperate ways, but Defender couldn't bring himself to let them go. Of course these aren't the 'official' writeups, these are my 650 pt rewrites -- so the PC's had a fight on their hands. They ended up escaping...

As a GM, I just take what I want and leave the rest out. More often than not I'll substitute any of my own creations for what's presented in any of the books.

Now, if you ask my players what they'd like to see killed off, you'd get a really long list. Funny thing is, most of that is stuff I've created.

And to make a point, I don't know who the "brainy one" from Unity (don't have the appropriate book), but I've got a master villain built with a mere 100 points, mostly skills and increased INT, that the characters have yet to take down. Of course, they also have yet to come face to face with him, but he's far to intelligent to allow something like that to happen. That's what his mutant supersoldiers and lackys are for.

For the most part, I really like the Champions 5th edition universe. That said, there are some that I can't stand and I'd REALLY love to see get killed off.

Assuming that your PC's wanted to take a break from being the good guys and instead created some new characters with one purpose: kill any person in the champions universe they can. One request: no real life figures please but instead limit yourself to fictional Champions characters.

My picks: BullDozer from CKC and pretty much the entire Unity team. The brainy one especially! Let's see... 40 int and the only thing I equip myself with is a pathetic little zap gun. It doesn't take a genius to see that he's going to get the crap smacked out of him.

I played in a Villian game about ten years back (the GM wanted to do it. I hate playing a villian.) The body count was pretty high. I was able to talk a bunch of the upper echelon villians (Doc Destroyer and Power Lord from the Strike Force amongst others) into teaming up to conquer the world. They, of course, were going to plot to eliminate everyone to rule alone. I, then, showed them proof of the beings capable of stopping us. King Earthwyrm and his grossly high powered cronies. We formulated a plan and put it into immediate action, as we attacked their forces. What no one knew was that my plan was to eliminate Earthwyrm and usurp control of his forces, some 500,000 cannibals with automatic weaponry. By the end of the fight all opposition (including the upper echelon characters that we betrayed) were all dead. I led the army on a random rampage and destroyed San Francisco before anyone could stop them. By the time the GM decided that I should not be playing a villian (let alone the leader of the villian group) and stopped the game, I had formulated a plan to destroy Sanctuary using enough explosive to cause the mother of all tidal waves. Oh did I mention that I had my alter ego running for office. I had my teammates attack me and break some bones as I spoke up against them at a rally. My willingness to continue to fight the good fight after such a brazen attack won me many voters.

re: Mentiac

Well, if I were Unity, I'd never have him go into the field. Ne-ver.

He'd stay at home in his chair with his computer and do the whole Oracle thing. Not just for UNTIL, but other superhero teams.

And then the weedy little zap gun is in the same thing as Babs' .38 revolver -- it's the last-ditch "something to throw at the bad guy if he's already tracked me down and broken into my fortress. Not that it'll do much, but hey, at least it suffices to show the honor of the flag and all that." :)

I rather liked UNITY myself. Although I agree with the observation that Mentiac "in the field" as he is right now is a bad idea. If I was going to change one thing about him, I'd make him a true mentalist. Give him telepathy (and not just based on being able to "predict" actions) and telekinesis perhaps, in order to justify a force field or force wall that would protect him in combat.

I'd have him go through a slight "radiation" accident to justify it. You don't even need to change anything else about him or his looks. Maybe he even finds a way to do it to himself! Reading up on Eastern meditation techniques, he gets curious and puts himself in a trance, and winds up unlocking those latent abilities in himself.

My favorite characters from UNITY are El Picaro and Dr White and Dr. Black. Picaro is just the perfect temporary NPC to work with a group. And looks like a fun personality. And I love the pretentiousness of Dr. Black and how his wife, Dr. White, continually deflates it. That sounds like a wonderful schtick to pull during a game. I think players would love that.

And what's not to like about UNITY anyway? Good lord, we're short enough on NPC hero teams in 5th edition CU as it is! We need all we can get! :thumbup:

I rather liked UNITY myself. Although I agree with the observation that Mentiac "in the field" as he is right now is a bad idea. If I was going to change one thing about him, I'd make him a true mentalist. Give him telepathy (and not just based on being able to "predict" actions) and telekinesis perhaps, in order to justify a force field or force wall that would protect him in combat.

I'd have him go through a slight "radiation" accident to justify it. You don't even need to change anything else about him or his looks. Maybe he even finds a way to do it to himself! Reading up on Eastern meditation techniques, he gets curious and puts himself in a trance, and winds up unlocking those latent abilities in himself.

My favorite characters from UNITY are El Picaro and Dr White and Dr. Black. Picaro is just the perfect temporary NPC to work with a group. And looks like a fun personality. And I love the pretentiousness of Dr. Black and how his wife, Dr. White, continually deflates it. That sounds like a wonderful schtick to pull during a game. I think players would love that.

And what's not to like about UNITY anyway? Good lord, we're short enough on NPC hero teams in 5th edition CU as it is! We need all we can get! :thumbup:

Actually, I think that if he was more like Brainiac 5 from the Legion of Super Heroes that he would work well. Truth be told, he is more in line with the type of heroes that I like to play. It makes winning more fun. For me, I find that being really powerful or as powerful as the rest of the group makes it kind of dull. For a challenge I, usually, play characters that are built on less points than anyone else. I am one of those Mad Thinker types.