Daleks??

Tymothi

Re: Daleks??

It really all depends on how technical you want to be. Since the Dalek's mutant form is completly helpless (unless the plot calls for them to slither away or something) there is no need to recreate it.

And of course for the Daleks themselves, it all depends on how comical or terrifying you see them.

(IE. do they have trouble with stairs? Just how much manipulation are they capable of? Do they have any other social skills than EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!)

The simple way: just write up the whole thing as a character.

The "realistic" way: write up the creature itself as a character, with the mechanical part as a vehicle, or maybe as a form of power armor.

From what I remember of the series and books, treating the driver and vehicle as a single entity would be about right. Neither can really take any significant action without the other.

Zeropoint

Being a Whoviean before I became an anime junkie, I would have to say, yes, treet the Daleks as a charater (as opose to a charater/vehical combo). In fact, I would write them up under the robot rules. Daleks can not survive for long outside there macheen, and thay can not realy be stuned.

The clasic Dalek could not climb stairs, and was powerless if someone removed the electrisity from the floor. Modern Daleks could be self-powered, and able to hover above the ground with an anti-grav device. This, thay can climb stairs by floating over them.

And don't get me started on the Cybermen...

Guest WhammeWhamme

Being a Whoviean before I became an anime junkie, I would have to say, yes, treet the Daleks as a charater (as opose to a charater/vehical combo). In fact, I would write them up under the robot rules. Daleks can not survive for long outside there macheen, and thay can not realy be stuned.

The clasic Dalek could not climb stairs, and was powerless if someone removed the electrisity from the floor. Modern Daleks could be self-powered, and able to hover above the ground with an anti-grav device. This, thay can climb stairs by floating over them.

And don't get me started on the Cybermen...

No! Get started on the Cybermen! I don't know enough 'bout them!

Oh, and as for the Daleks? helpless blob+OIF 'Power Armour'

Hmm yes I definitely think buying the machine body, as an OIF would work

Powers

Extra ground speed

360-degree senses (that’s what the hemispheres are)

A huge RKA but only against organic life

Full life support

Later models have flight (not much but enough to levitate up stairs

I’m not sure how you would write up the ability to swivel their eye through 360 degrees.

There is also a special weapons dalek no manipulator limb but a huge cannon.

If you check out the books there are a number of variations including daleks with spider like legs submarine daleks space capable daleks, which makes them a bit scarier.

As for disadvantages

Well the obvious ones are

A susceptibility to visual flashes

Limited fire arcs

Limited dexterity

Poor movement over unpaved surfaces

Megalomania

Xenophobia

Extreme hubris

I wonder what the doctor is worth as a hunted

Hmm yes I definitely think buying the machine body' date=' as an OIF would work[/quote']

Only if there is a way of takeing it away. "If it looks like a focus, acts like a focus, but can never be taken away without killiing the user, then it is not a focus".

I wonder what the doctor is worth as a hunted

Not much, considering that The Doctor never "hunted" the Daleks, but in acuality were hunted BY them. Of coursse, he was only hunted on an 8 or less (unless you give The Doctor a rotating hunted, beyond Hunted By The Master...then it should be 11- and inculde The Cybermen, and thoes ice guyss from Mars(?)).

Daleks can be a lot of fun.

I introoduced them in my Champions campaign as the cybernetic explorers of another race, who couldn't leave their home planet.

They are always polite and peaceful, and can't understand why British attack them every time they try to conduct anthropological studies in the UK.

My daleks, obviously, are a bit different. I worte them up as cyborgs with job specialties, (Scientist, Military Officer, etc), supported by a small army of robotic workers/drones/helpers.

As I did it:

~They actually saw using 360' radar, the "eye scope" was just a telescope/magnifier

~I gave them weapons, but I used sonics (that way they could justify buying personal immunity).

in the series, Daleks out of the shell was mostly a plot device, IMHO.

Going up stairs and such is just laziness, and humanities best defense. Never liked the flying dalek, they should have limitations. The reason is simple...the Dalek is not necessarily supposed to be the ultimate machine, able to do everything humans can. It is supposed to be a machine that allows the mutant to survive and subjugate others. Its primarily a life support vehicle.

As I did it:

~They actually saw using 360' radar, the "eye scope" was just a telescope/magnifier

I think there's some precedence for that. One set of Dalek "blueprints" I remember seeing back in the 70's or 80's claimed those spheroids around the skirt of the machine work together like a multifaceted eye.

I think there's some precedence for that. One set of Dalek "blueprints" I remember seeing back in the 70's or 80's claimed those spheroids around the skirt of the machine work together like a multifaceted eye.

Still, there is the numeber-one rule when fighting a Dalek -- "AIM FOR THE EYEPIECE!" Shoot off that stalk and you blind the Dalek. I always wpondered how the Daleks aimed their guns with only the one eye -- wouldn;t that be about as hard as firing a psitol if you had only one eye 9and thus not have depth perception)? perhaps the spheres compensate by calculating distance between the Dalek and various objects, inlcuding targets.

I wouldn't limit the Dalek guns to organic targets, because every so often the Dlaeks have to fight mechanical enemeies or even other Daleks. (The final Dlake story, the classic Sylvester McCoy "Rememebrance of the Daleks", centered around a Dalek civil war that had spread to Earth.)

The mutant Dalek inside the suit is dangerous on its own. It' has poisonous fans that tend to infect those they bite with mindless obedience to the Daleks (perfect for crreating disposable tools).

The classic view of Daleks, of course, can be found in their origin story, 'Genesis of the Dalkes", which displayed it was the mindset they represetned that was both their true power and their true danger. Now if onyl Davros had had the good sense to stay dead....

BTW, you will not see Dalkes in the new season of Doctor Who, scheduled for 2005 and being produced by BBC Wales. the BBC and the Terry Nation estate could not agree on terms. Ina ddition, there is rumors the Nation estate is preparing to sue Warner Borthers for an unauthorized appearance of the Daleks in the film Looney Tunes: Back in Action.

I confess, one of the reasons I used Daleks when I wanted a cyborg enemy, is the huge amount of pictures available for them.

For those wondering what the hell we are talking about.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/grahamwalters/dalek_fr.htm

Stats for Daleks in V & V

http://www.paratime.ca/v_and_v/standarddalek.html

bunch of pics

http://freespace.virgin.net/steve.redfearn/gallery.html

More pics, including an alternate way for daleks to "fly"

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mimrie/dalek/dalekgal.htm

Same site as above, different section for the very lazy

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mimrie/dalek/offsitegallery.htm

heh, my favorite.

http://www.vorbis.demon.co.uk/dalek-kitties-big.jpg

Also, for the record, Terry Nation did not creat the Daleks, he just worte stories about them. The Daleks were actually built by an unknown set designer for the BBC.

They didn't work that way in one episode. The Doctor (Tom Baker, IIRC) threw his hat over the eyepiece and it blinded the Dalek. ("My vision is impaired. I cannot see!")