Continuous power which is faster than me

I wish to create an continuous area effect power which attacks on every segment, even though the character who unleashes it/triggers it is only SPD 4.

Assuming I buy it as extra Speed, what kind of limitation is appropriate for the extra SPD ? Maybe -2 ?

Alternatively, would it be appropriate to buy it as an advantage of some kind ?

I suppose with GM permission I could get a comparable effect by "rapid firing" the power but staggering the affected phases (but I'd prefer a solution that works for SPD 5 or 7+, too).

Re: Continuous power which is faster than me

I'd say a -2 limitation to SPD 12 would be alright if maintaining the power was the ONLY thing you could do for that segment. Perhaps a smaller limitation value would do if you used that power on a frequent basis, but -2 doesn't sound unreasonable. Linked could work too I suppose, but a SPD limitation just seems simpler to me.

Guest bblackmoor

Linked could work too I suppose' date=' but a SPD limitation just seems simpler to me.[/quote']

Perhaps I was unclear: the Limitation on the additional Speed would be "Linked (-1/4)".

Guest bblackmoor

Summon a totally loyal creature that is invisible to all senses' date=' has a 12 Speed, and the power you want it to use.[/quote']

That's pretty nasty. I don't think I have seen that before. :eg:

You could buy twice as many dice, and then Reduced Penetration. Then say that the second half of the attack goes off in the following segment. With a 4 speed, that gives a power that works on 8 segments, and the target can apply his defenses each time. For a power that works on all twelve segments, you could buy 3x the dice and take Red Pen twice - which admittedly does require a little hand waving.

Perhaps some variant of Gradual Effect might be in order.

Maybe buy a lot of dice and use something like a gradual limitation to have it take effect in subsequent segments?

Thats just Gradual effect.

The "problem" with using GE for this is that the target only gets to apply their defenses to it once. Good for the attacker, but not exactly the same as attacking them several times.

Depending upon the SFX for the ability, you can buy a Computer/AI to operate it for you (with the appropriate DEX and SPD), or use a Duplicate or Summoned Creature that has those stats and the Power as suggested above.

Of course, using any of these options actually leaves your character open to perform other actions, even while "attacking", and might not suit your SFX.

An uncontrolled area of effect power works on every segment ... err sort of. When the area is first entered, targets are hit on every segment, but after that they are attacked only on the attacker's phases until they leave the area. If the point of attacking on 12 phases was keeping an area of continuous damage, then uncontrolled would work. But if the point is to attack lots and lots of times it wouldn't help.

Couldnt you just make a advantage that covers it, +1/2 to +1 acts each segment.

Your modifying a continuous attack power not summoning/using a computer.

keep it simple.

After all the list of advantages and lims can be added to.