Traps, Tricks, and Treasures - what should go in it

bloomann

Re: Traps, Tricks, and Treasures - what should go in it

I'd call it 'Ultimate Dungeon', and expand it out to cover everything Hero has to to offer on playing fantasy in the DnD style where traps, tricks, and treasure are a major feature.

When I read those words, I link them in my mind to dungeons.

I'd have info on making dungeons logical -or not-, even a random dungeon generator because while nobody ever uses them seriously they're fun to go through.

A section of making traps, a section on characters making traps, a list of sample traps with most of them built to be feasable and 'realistic to the genre' rather than those silly impossible ones you find in trap collection books for d20.

The treasure chapter would need to focus on treasure from a different aspect than is done in DnD. In Hero it need not be the focus of the character to aquire loot, so the treasure can serve more a plot role instead, and those different needs could be addressed.

Dungeon ecology would need at least a chapter. You'd need to cover the differences in cave systems and built systems like a dwarven complex.

Lastly, I'd want a section on using Hero with a square grid - possible heresy around here - this would help for using all those dungeon kits out there, such as dwarven forge.

GrobiDum (Goblin doom) Dwarven magic battle axe

Grobidum (The Goblins doom) is a magic battle axe crafted during one of the many dwarf / goblin wars, besides being a well crafted axe, Grobidum provides a number of special features, it grants the weilder the ability to detect goblins and their kin (360 degree detect at range), the weilder can also draw upon his ancestors to grant him courage, or to channel thier fury making him far more fearsome (presence aid) and finally it grants him the ability to call his comrades to assist him (summon).

2d6 HKA, strmin 13 (-1/2), 1 1/2 handed (-1/4), real weapon (-1/4), obv, acc focus (-1) Active 30 Real 10

+1 OCV, focus (-1) Active 5 pts Real 3 pts

Detect goblinoid creatures, 360 degrees (5 pts), range (5 pts) focus (-1) Active 15 pts real 8 pts

Presence aid 3d6, only for wielder (-1/2), only vs goblinoids (-1/4), focus (-1) Active 30 pts, Real 11 pts

Summon 100pt dwarf (20 pts), x8 (15 pts), dwarves must be in the area (-1/2), Dwarves arrive under own power (-1/2), 4 charges (-1), focus (-1) Active 35, Real 9 pts

Total cost Active 115 pts, Real 41 pts

Here is a start hopefully you will get more.

Get permission from Flying Buffalo and include Hero write-ups for the excellent ideas in the Grimtooth's Traps series of books.
Or don't get permission' date=' but just file off the proverbial serial numbers and credit the Traps series in the Bibliography. (Personally I'd love to see a Hero write-up of Fibber McGee's Closet of Caltrops from [i']Traps Too[/i].)

I love random tables.

While you're borrowing material, you might get ICE's Castles and Ruins. Especially the ruins part. I once randomly generated a Lich bard who lived at the bottom of a broken pit trap where he feriously gaurded his horde of 3 tin coins. No kidding.

Seriously though, I'm thinking this sounds like a pretty cool body of information to have. Everything you ever wanted to know about being underground.

Or don't get permission' date=' but just file off the proverbial serial numbers and credit the Traps series in the Bibliography. (Personally I'd love to see a Hero write-up of Fibber McGee's Closet of Caltrops from [i']Traps Too[/i].)

1/2d6 RKA, vs. PD, Autofire (80 Shots), One Hex Area, Trigger, 80 (Edit: Recoverable) Charges.

I don't recall how many caltrops were in it, or even if it was mentioned. (Though I've had the book for ~20 years, and it's been through who knows how many moves, I know right where it is and could put my hands on it given about five minutes. But I'm not going to do it right now.)

I guess you're right about making the name the Ultimate Dungeon, it does sound very cool. also making treasures that are actually part of bigger story plots is always my favorite part of gaming, "hey what's this ring do again?"

Lady and the Tiger (Trap, Trick, and Treasure)

The characters face off with a wounded Tiger. The tiger will not attack unless attacked, although will growl if approached (blocking a entrance to an important room). If someone makes friends with it (either by feeding it or by approaching very slowly and petting it), it will transform back into a very beautiful woman
:love:
who will explain that she was put under a terrible curse. She will be a loyal companion to the one who showed kindness and from that point on, she will now be able to voluntarily change between the two forms. Prefering the Tiger form for combat.

If they just kill the tiger, the curse will also be broken, revealing a beautiful but dead woman. Oops.

There's a nice list of trap concepts, with suggested game effect stats, in the Fantasy HERO Treasure Trove, along with mucho other cool stuff. :cool:

Here is the specific "Traps" webpage.

I agree that plot-tied and -generating items would be a good element to work into the "treasures" section. Dungeons are a natural for tricks and traps, of course, but wilderness areas and dangerous parts of cities and towns can also hold many perils that would be appropriate for a book like this.

It also sounds like an excellent excuse for more reusable maps, like the "Battlegrounds" series. Perhaps TT&T (thank goodness its "Treasures" instead of "Artifacts" ;) ) could be a more focussed volume in the "FH Battlegrounds" series?

Guest taxboy4

Lady and the Tiger (Trap, Trick, and Treasure)

The characters face off with a wounded Tiger. The tiger will not attack unless attacked, although will growl if approached (blocking a entrance to an important room). If someone makes friends with it (either by feeding it or by approaching very slowly and petting it), it will transform back into a very beautiful woman
:love:
who will explain that she was put under a terrible curse. She will be a loyal companion to the one who showed kindness and from that point on, she will now be able to voluntarily change between the two forms. Prefering the Tiger form for combat.

If they just kill the tiger, the curse will also be broken, revealing a beautiful but dead woman. Oops.

This is damn clever, so going to use it on my PC's and will have to make it even spicier as they tend towards the blood thirsty.

Might make her the chick they were questing to find, - Evil laughs!!! -