New to Hero, so how would I...

Funksaw

How would I...

Create a superpower: be able to superhumanly speed-read and rapidly recall databases of information?

Create a "Dramatic Editing"-like or "Drama Point" metagame mechanic as a superpower.

Create a weapon: Someone who uses a yo-yo to fight in a fantasy campaign. The Yo-yo would be used as a blunt-object but could also be used to tangle people up, or swing from rooftops. In a deadlier confrontation, the yo-yo could have a sawblade mounted on it. It can also do yo-yo tricks like "walk the dog."

Create a fighting style: Someone who uses a parasol to fight in a martial-arts campaign.

Create a character with the ability to barter -anything- like years of your life or your empathy, a la Twilight Zone.

Create a magic-8 ball that accurately tells the future.

Re: New to Hero, so how would I...

Well, there's the Talent for Speed Reading and there's the Talen Eidetic Memory.

Not sure I understand the "dramatic editing" thing. I'm not aware of such a power and am not sure how it would work.

Hand Attack, Stretching, with an entangle effect, Obvious Accessible Focus

-or-

Hand Attack, Stretching, if you have to maintain the hold you can just call it a grab attack, Obvious Accessible Focus

Martial Arts Package (whichever martial attacks you want) with a Weapon Element. Build the parasol however you want (say, 3D6 Hand Attack)

Mind Control (possibley with "invisible power effect") or someone with extremely high presence based skills (And likely a really high PRE).

Ha! I would never allow something in my campaign that accurately tells the future. But you're looking at Clairsentience (Precognition) with a focus (again, OAF)

I largely agree with Blue, with the caveat that in HERO there's almost always more than one way to construct any ability or effect, depending on exactly how you want it to work.

Take the yo-yo for example. If you want the ability to "tangle someone up" to be based on the amount of strength you can exert against him to hold him, that would be Stretching with a Focus Limitation (meaning the yo-yo could be taken away from you), allowing you effectively to exert your strength at range. OTOH if you want the entangling effect to be based on wrapping him in string which he has to break out of to be free, that would be the Entangle Power, Focussed through the yo-yo.

This is called "reasoning from effects." It might help you to take a look at this section of the online FAQs.

Oh, as for "Drama Points": there are several optional variations listed under the Luck Power which allow you to modify the results of rolls in-game which go against you, which are similar to how other games handle drama/karma/etc. mechanics.

How would I...

Create a superpower: be able to superhumanly speed-read and rapidly recall databases of information?

Two Talents; Speed Reading and Eidetic Memory. Alternately, you could handle it with a special super form of Knowledge Skill (s), or a from of Retrocognitive Clairsentience.

Create a "Dramatic Editing"-like or "Drama Point" metagame mechanic as a superpower.

Mind Control would be the easiest to change behavior. To REALLY alter reality to rewrite past events would probably be too powerful for any character to actually have, but assuming you wanted to do it there is always the cop-out Extra Dimensional Movement to the Dimension where what the character wants to have happened did happen. Pretty cheesy, and Im not fond of that approach in general, but to completely alter reality it's probably the most effective route.

Create a weapon: Someone who uses a yo-yo to fight in a fantasy campaign. The Yo-yo would be used as a blunt-object but could also be used to tangle people up, or swing from rooftops. In a deadlier confrontation, the yo-yo could have a sawblade mounted on it. It can also do yo-yo tricks like "walk the dog."

Multipower in a Focus; each trick is an ultraslot. Pretty routine.

Create a fighting style: Someone who uses a parasol to fight in a martial-arts campaign.

Lots of different ways to do this. The most direct is to select Martial Manuevers, and possibly some synergystic skills, that suit what you think a parasol style could do, with the default weapon element of "Parasol".

Alternately you could buy the abilities as Powers requiring a Parasol as a Focus and call the SFX "Parasol Fu".

Create a character with the ability to barter -anything- like years of your life or your empathy, a la Twilight Zone.

Transform, probably Major.

Clairsentience with the Precognitive ability.

Alternately, since Magic 8-Balls are pretty vague, you could just buy it as Luck only usable to comply with Magic 8-Ball predictions. To do this limit the Luck w/ Extra Time to Activate, "Must Ask Magic 8-Ball Question", and "Only Usable to Influence Outcome To Comply With Magic 8-Ball Answer".

As a gimmick, have the player literally ask their question and shake the Magic 8-Ball, then write down both the Q and the A to head off any later "misunderstandings".

Dont take Focus on the Power since the character could ask the Magic 8-Ball at home, and then go forth into the world without needing to carry the 8-Ball. Roll the Luck dice or use one of the point based Luck variants, and the character has that much Luck floating until the subject of their question comes up, and then they can use the Luck to influence events towards whatever the Magic 8-ball indicated would happen.

How would I...

Are you talking about mentally reading a computer database? If so, then you would use Telepathy against a machine class of minds. Generally, you would consider running programs and open files to be "surface thoughts" and other programs and files to be "deeper memories" possibly basing the exact levels on how it has been since the program or file has been accessed. You might even use the "subconscious" level to represent as being able to represent deleted files.

Telepathy generally obtains one fact per phase. Personally, I would allow someone with the Speed Reading Talent to apply their Speed Reading multiple to this task, but other GMs may differ. For rapid recall of this information, you would use the Eidetic Memory talent.

The Luck Power describes some optional ways of using it to represent some Drama Point-like uses. There is also the Combat Luck Talent which is designed as resistant defenses which only apply in certain circumstances. It is intended to simulate those characters who seemingly can survive running through something like a hail of bullets without being hit or just being grazed.

As for Dramatic Editing, I would almost suggest just porting a system from another game. After all, Dramatic Editing is designed to allow the player to change the situation -- it is not a Power of the character and Hero concentrates on designing the character.

I will admit, however, that I am not a fan of Dramatic Editing and perhaps someone who is more familiar with the concept might have other ideas.

Build it as a multipower. It would probably have a limited range Energy Blast (to represent "firing" it out to hit someone), an Entangle (tangling someone up with it), and a limited range RKA (the sawblade). As for the yo-yo tricks, that wouldn't so much be the yo-yo as the yo-yo's user who would have Professional Skill: YoYoing.

The Ultimate Martial Artis gives detail on creating fighting styles.

Well, he'd probably have a Trading Skill Roll to reflect his ability to make the deal. You'd need to detail the exact effects of his bartering to get the precise construct for the Power but it sounds like it might be a Variable Power Pool where for each trade you would design the Power(s) needed to change the target and to change you. Depending on the effects, the changes to the target might be a long-term Drain, a Transform, or a long-term Transfer; or if helping, it might be an Aid. If you're trading things to or from yourself, for negative changes to yourself, you would probably use the Side Effect Limitation, while for positive changes, this might simply be part of the Transfer or it might be a linked Aid or other appropriate Power. It sounds like it might be an expensive construct but then again, it sounds like a very powerful Power.

Clairsentience has options for looking into the past and the future.

As an addendum to my previous post, let me echo the comments of others, that there is rarely one correct way of building a Power in hero. But then again if you look at such things in the appropriate literature (such as comic books or fantasy novels), two abilities that seem similar often have subtle differences.

Re: New to Hero, so how would I...I like yo-yos. One of my favorite toys and tools. I miss the Smother Brothers...Anyways, here's one possibility:

Cost Power END
22 Super Yo-Yo: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1)
1u 1) Reach: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Body Parts (yo-yo; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) 0
2u 2) Thwack!: EB 7d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (44 Active Points); OAF (-1) 1
2u 3) The Nutcracker: EB 4d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), NND (rPD on vitals; +1) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1) 2
1u 4) Wrap Up: Entangle 3d6, 4 DEF, Takes No Damage From Blunt Physical Attacks (+1/4) (44 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Lockout (cannot use other slots in Multipower until charge is recovered; -1), OAF (-1) [1 rc]
1u 5) Swing Line: Swinging 10", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1) 0
1u 6) Around The World: EB 4d6, Hole In The Middle (+1/4), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) 4
1u 7) Walk The Dog (and other tricks): +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Cannot Cause Direct Damage (can be used to trip, grab, throw and disarm; -1/2)
Powers Cost: 31

I like yo-yos. One of my favorite toys and tools. I miss the Smother Brothers...Anyways' date=' here's one possibility:

Cost** Power END
22** Super Yo-Yo: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1)*
1u** 1) Reach: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Body Parts (yo-yo; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)* 0
2u** 2) Thwack!: EB 7d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (44 Active Points); OAF (-1)* 1
2u** 3) The Nutcracker: EB 4d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), NND (rPD on vitals; +1) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1)* 2
1u** 4) Wrap Up: Entangle 3d6, 4 DEF, Takes No Damage From Blunt Physical Attacks (+1/4) (44 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Lockout (cannot use other slots in Multipower until charge is recovered; -1), OAF (-1)* [1 rc']
1u** 5) Swing Line: Swinging 10", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1)* 0
1u** 6) Around The World: EB 4d6, Hole In The Middle (+1/4), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)* 4
1u** 7) Walk The Dog (and other tricks): +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Cannot Cause Direct Damage (can be used to trip, grab, throw and disarm; -1/2)*
Powers Cost: 31
This ROCKS.

Oh, I haven't had a chance (yet) to go through Hero Sidekick, so I had a couple of questions:

How does the above Yo-Yo multipower thing work? There's a couple of things I don't understand. These are:

"45-point reserve?"

"all slots OAF?"

"Reduced Endurance?" (and why are some 0 end and others 1/2 end?)

"Active Points?"

(-1, +1/2 and other fractional numbers)

What's 1u?

"NND?"

"rPD on vitals?"

"Recoverable charge?"

I'm also a bit fuzzy on something here - now, if i'm understanding Active Points correctly, that means that the total number of Active Points powers I can have going at one time can't exceed 45, right?

So, wouldn't this preclude the 2" stretching while doing a Thwack? (15+44?)

Some answers for you...

"45-point reserve?"

-- All powers in the Multipower can have a maximum of 45 Active Points. It also means that you can have no more than 45 Active Points worth of powers being used at the same time.

"all slots OAF?"

-- All powers (slots) in the Multipower have the Obvious Accessible Focus Limitation. The yo-yo is the focus and it grants you all of these powers

"Reduced Endurance?" (and why are some 0 end and others 1/2 end?)

-- Some are 0 and some are 1/2 END because they seem to make sense that way. Some powers would require more energy expendeture than others simply by the nature of the ability.

"Active Points?"

-- Active Points is the cost of a Power plus its Advantages. Active Cost is a way of measuring the "maximum power" of a Power.

(-1, +1/2 and other fractional numbers)

-- Positive values denote Advantages. Negative numbers denote Limitations.

What's 1u?

-- The slot costs 1 Character Point. The u stands for Ultra Slot. See Multipower in Sidekick for the 2 different types of slots.

"NND?"

-- No Normal Defense. This power can only be defended by the specified defense. Otherwise, the target takes all of the damage.

"rPD on vitals?"

-- rPD is Resistant Physical Defense. In this case, there needs to be Armor or Force Field or some other form of Resistant Defense on that location.

"Recoverable charge?"

-- Like an arrow as opposed to a bullet. You can pick up an arrow and use it again. You can't with a bullet.

I'm also a bit fuzzy on something here - now, if i'm understanding Active Points correctly, that means that the total number of Active Points powers I can have going at one time can't exceed 45, right?

-- Correct. Again, a read through of Multipower in Sidekick will give you a full grasp of how it works.

So, wouldn't this preclude the 2" stretching while doing a Thwack? (15+44?)

--That means you cannot use both powers at the same time. Thwack is an Energy Blast which is a Ranged attack so you can use it on a distant target.

-- Hope this helps. :)

Quick breakdown of concepts.

Powers: Mechanics for building SFX of abilities.

Advantages: Power Modifier that expands in specific manner a power's ability.

Limitations: Power Modifier that restricts in specific manner a power's ability.

Power Frameworks: Technique for grouping a collection of powers that are in some manner connected.

Elemental Control Framework: Powers are bound by a common SFX. All powers can be used simultaneously if desired.

Multipower Framework: Powers share a common reserve to draw from which restricts the number of powers that can be used at one time.

Multipower Ultra Slot: Power put in this kind of slot uses up the total AP of the power reguardless of the level used. A 'u' is appended to the cost (ex. 1u).

Variable Power Pool Framework: The Power Pool can be used for specific sets of powers at one time. This set can be changed. No limit to the total sets of powers that can be created.

Active Points: This number is the value of Power including Advantages only.

OAF Limitation: Obvious Accessible Focus - Power resides in an item that is Obvious, and Accessible for grabs.

Endurance Levels: Using power normally costs 1 END per every 10 Active Points in the power.

NND Advantage: No Normal Defense changes the standard ED/PD defense to a common SFX (Special Effect) based one. If the target has the defense then no damage, but if the target does not have the defense, then he takes the full damage rolled.

That's all for now. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

Quick breakdown of concepts.

Multipower Ultra Slot: Power put in this kind of slot uses up all the reserve when used. The Power therefore must be used alone within the framework. A 'u' is appended to the cost (ex. 1u).

- Christopher Mullins

Slight correction: an Ultra slot means you must allocate a number of points from the Reserve equal to the Ultra Slots Active Points whether you use the power to max effect or not.

It is possible to have, say, a 120 Reserve MP, and a bunch of 30 AP ultraslots so that you can run any 4 at a time for example.

A Flex slot on the other hand can be scaled to allocate only as many points of effect as you are using. Thus if you had a slot which was a Force Field and a slot which was a Energy Blast and both were Flex slots, then you could attenutate power between them.

So with a 60 Reserve, a 60 AP FF (30 PD/30 ED) in a flex slot, and a 60 AP EB (12d6 vs ED), in one Phase you could go all defensive and have a 30/30 FF, the next Phase you could go all offensive with a full 12d6 blast but no defense, and the next you could do an even split for 15/15 and 6d6, or any other combination.

Slight correction: an Ultra slot means you must allocate a number of points from the Reserve equal to the Ultra Slots Active Points whether you use the power to max effect or not.

For example, it's possible, using the Yo-Yo MP above, to use both the Reach and Swingline Powers at the same time, or either one of those with Walk The Dog (and other tricks). All the other slots must be used alone.

I just now noticed something about the MP though. I forgot to include the Limitation "Limited Range (2", -1/4) on the Thwack!, The Nutcracker and Wrap Up slots. As written, you can Thwack! someone up to 220" away, although it would only be accurate up to about 4-16" depending upon the skill of the user.

It is possible to have, say, a 120 Reserve MP, and a bunch of 30 AP ultraslots so that you can run any 4 at a time for example.

A Flex slot on the other hand can be scaled to allocate only as many points of effect as you are using. Thus if you had a slot which was a Force Field and a slot which was a Energy Blast and both were Flex slots, then you could attenutate power between them.

So with a 60 Reserve, a 60 AP FF (30 PD/30 ED) in a flex slot, and a 60 AP EB (12d6 vs ED), in one Phase you could go all defensive and have a 30/30 FF, the next Phase you could go all offensive with a full 12d6 blast but no defense, and the next you could do an even split for 15/15 and 6d6, or any other combination.

I must humbly bow before you. I've misinterpreted this for years. Thanks. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins