Caffeine Addiction

Re: Caffeine Addiction

If it doesn't somehow 'get in the way of play' you have to wonder if it should even be worth five points.

I know there are people for whom a caffeine addiction is severe enough, but I've not seen nor met them so I'm not sure how I would run or play them. Keep that in mind though.

It really isn't worth that much ... it's addictive qualities are small, it wasn't even classified as Addictive by the FDA for a long time as it didn't meet several requirements.

but, it's addictive enough and has a few things going against it.

Caffeine is both a dehydrant and an appetite suppresant. A lot of Annorexic's will revert to caffeinatied coffee in order to curb snacking appetites.

Since the physical effects are minial (L.D.50 of Caffeine is 50 grams. a cup of coffee with contain from 30-70 milligrams) I'd write is as:

Psycholigical Limitation: Must Have Coffee, (Common, Moderate) if you just need that cup to feel better and you're irritable and snipey without it or (Common, Strong) if you're character turns into a complete ass without that morning Pot'O'Joe up to refusing to use powers or abilities until he gets the fix.

tha'ts 10-15 pts for ya.

Guest Worldmaker

From the Master List of Psychological Limitations:

Addicted to (Substance or Activity)

Uncommon, Strong: 10 Points | Uncommon, Total: 15 Points

Common, Strong: 15 Points | Common, Total: 20 Points

Type: Psychological

Description: This character has an unreasonable compulsion to ingest a substance (alcohol, nicotine, heroin, etc.) or perform an activity (gamble, play video games, have sex, etc.).

A Frequency of Uncommon means that the addiction is not yet a serious problem for the character, and it only rarely affects the character's daily performance. A Frequency of Common means that the addiction is a very real problem, and the character's daily performance is seriously affected.

A player character should not take this Disadvantage with a frequency of Very Common, as this would mean that the character spends most of his active life filling the addiction. Similarly, an addiction that has a Frequency less than Uncommon is not a true addiction, but rather is merely a bad habit.

I've had character who were "addicted to caffine" as a quirk at best, but not enough for a Disad.

I'm addicted to caffine in RL, particularly in carbinated beverage form, though coffee is stronger. Since either is easily affordable (unless I happen to run out a night or two before payday after paying rent, I HATE that!), and it doesn't cause any problems even when I don't have it (at least not for a day or so), it really doesn't mess with my life at all.

Now, of this character when NUTS without his caffeine, and needed it every waking hour... Let's say this character had his morning jo interupted by a sudden emergency. Unfortunately, he's kept busy for the entire morning and hasn't had his caffine yet. Around noon, a fight breaks out. In the middle of the fight, he sees a Kwikimart with a bright orange sign FRESHLY BREWED COFFEE. If he suddenly abandons his compatriots for that long awaited cup in mid turn, I'd say it's worth some points.

Otherwise, probably not, except for the possibility of a Distinctive Feature: Almost Always Drinking Caffeinated Beverages (easily concealable, noticed by commonly used senses).

I've got a friend who needs a tripple shot every morning plus about a pot of coffee throughout the day or he is a walking zombie. Talk about a drop of INT, more like a drop of 6 off of 12. No coffee = moron. Perception drops to just about 0. Attention span 10 seconds at most. And I don't want to know what his headache is like the next day without any caffiene.

Guest Kolava

Too Much Coffee Man probably has it at the Very Common' date=' Total level...[/quote']

Among other psychological limitations, and a distinctive features :D

Guest Worldmaker

Thanks' date=' World Maker, as this is meant for my Omnipresent character, your official GGU answer was exactly what I was looking for.[/quote']

In which case go with the Uncommon, Strong level. :D

I've got a friend who needs a tripple shot every morning plus about a pot of coffee throughout the day or he is a walking zombie. Talk about a drop of INT' date=' more like a drop of 6 off of 12. No coffee = moron. Perception drops to just about 0. Attention span 10 seconds at most. And I don't want to know what his headache is like the next day without any caffiene.[/quote']

I'm thinking this so much isn't an addiction to caffiene as it is simply a severe lack of morning person-ness. I'm not a morning person, and I get violently ill if I'm forced to wake before noon and actually be active. Back when I was required to do this (college/few morning jobs) I'd practically swim in coffee to keep myself from sleepwalking.

FWIW, I am a chronic Migraine sufferer. If I don't get my caffeine in the morning and in certian amounts throughout the day, there is an abundantly good chance of me winding up locked in a dark quiet room wishing to die and clutching my head.

IMHO, it is far more than a quirk for me, but unless you have the added intense and debilitating pain angle, YMMV.

FWIW, I am a chronic Migraine sufferer. If I don't get my caffeine in the morning and in certian amounts throughout the day, there is an abundantly good chance of me winding up locked in a dark quiet room wishing to die and clutching my head.

IMHO, it is far more than a quirk for me, but unless you have the added intense and debilitating pain angle, YMMV.

This would be a Dependence.

:D

That's proposterous, Caffeine is not adddddddddddictive !!! I swear where do you come up with these wilddddd acusationsss !!!

Now let me concentrate and ggggget back to work.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,

It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,

The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion".

Bottoms up

QM