Adding Damage

Dust Raven

Okay, I consider myself an "expert" on the Hero System. Or, at least, I have a pretty good grasp on the rules.

But I can't seem to figure out how 5th Edition adds damage up.

Sure, some things are really simple, like if all you are doing is adding up STR and a Maneuver, STR and HA, or even STR+HA+Maneuver. Easy. But I'm a bit confused how everything starts adding up once you start putting Advantages on things.

For example, how much damage would a +6d6 HA with AP and 20 STR do?

Would +2d6 HA AP and 45 STR do the same damage (and same type)? It's the same points at least...

So how is it done?

Re: Adding Damage

Well I'm definately not an expert on the system, yet I shall attempt to give some insight on the subject.

The first thing you need to do is figure out the AP cost per DC with the advantages figured in. So in other words 1 DC of HA is normally 5 AP (before lims). Strenth is 1 AP per pt, so every 5 pts of strength adds 1 DC to the HA. Simple enough so far.

Now if you make the HA armor piercing then it becomes 7.5 AP per DC. So now you need 7.5 points of strength to add just one DC.

So for your examples a 2d6 HA w/ Armor Piercing and 20 str would have (20/7.5) 2d6 added, becoming a 4d6 HA w/ Armor Piercing. That's the equivalent of 30 AP (4 DC * 7.5). The 2d6 HA w/ Armor Piercing and 45 strength is 8d6 then, with an effective 60 AP.

Did that make any sense? Short term is figure the Active Points of each Damage Class, then go from there.

I make no claims regarding 5Th...but I'd do it this a way...6D6 AP HA + 20 STR= 10D6 AP......2D6 AP HA and 45 STR is 4D6 AP OR 11D6...as I understand it you add STR straight in on advantaged HA's (Except NND where you pro rate) ifs your STR exceeds the total HA you are limited to 2x HA OR use the HA without the advantage.....I don't know if thats the Official way, but that is how I've been doing it........and if a maneuver adds it adds straight in on top.....

Personally, I've adopted a house rule that HA works like HKA -- you can no more than double the DC with STR and manuever bonuses. Additionally, since I'm not afraid of a llittle math I've decided to continue pro-rating bonuses across the base power's active points instead of the 5th Edition canon method of adding dice directly.

This certainly is a hot topic right now. This will be the second time today that I've posted Talon's excellent summary of the rules for adding damage' date=' but I don't think we can put it up too many times:[/quote']

Thanks!

I haven't read it all yet, so I don't know if it means anything to me yet, but I've a feeling it might.

This certainly is a hot topic right now. This will be the second time today that I've posted Talon's excellent summary of the rules for adding damage' date=' but I don't think we can put it up too many times:[/quote']

I was hoping you woulid put this up again, it's quite good and can never be too handy!

That's funny... The way I'd been figuring it, you don't add advantage DCs from strength, unless you bought the advantage for your strength.

Er, like, if you had 20 str, and a 6d6 HA with Penetrating, you'd have a 10 D6 HA, with 6 of the D6 acting as Penetrating...

Okay, I can see that doesn't work as well with AP as it does with Penetrating.

Hmm... (%)