The Last Word

Bazza

Sir Patrick Stewart:

"On the other hand, I'm absolutely delighted that he's still in my life. Actually, I think my appearance in The Simpsons and an appearance that I did on Sesame Street - in praise of the letter B - were perhaps the two most distinguished bits of work that I've done in the United States."

I had a half summer or so when the LotR trilogy plus The Hobbit were more or less all I had to read, so I literally cannot count the number of times I have read those. A decade plus later (after Silmarillion came out, but before anything else was published) I wanted a break from prep work for a seminar I was giving the next day, so I walked across campus to the Student Union where they had a Tolkien trivia contest that night, and I won the d...ed thing, which mortified me.

David Brin's Uplift War series ... Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War ... the second book is possibly my favorite sci-fi novel now.

Standalone sci-fi books include Roger Zelazny's Doorways in the Sand and Robert Silverberg's Downward to the Earth.

There are some good things in YA fantasy, though that genre has a strong proclivity toward Mary Sue protagonists.

By the way, I must second the Uplift series, and the sequel series is pretty good too.

There's the Manifold books by, I think, Stephen Baxter (Space, Time, Origin, and a short story compilation). It deals with the Fermi Paradox and some different ways it can be solved. It's not a series per se, but they share main characters -- like Richard Malenfant, astronaut, and his wife Jenny -- and themes. Sense Of Wonder Sci-Fi, up there with the best of 'em.