The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

That's good. ;) I don't give lab assignments unless I have built into them ways that make dry-labbing apparent. Perhaps it's apparent only to me in the assignment itself, but it's very apparent in the document I file with the Dean.

"Most professors believe that burning at the stake is too lenient a penalty for cheating, but they'll go along with it anyway since it's cheap and convenient."

Heh. My work-study job my freshman year was as bottle washer and lab gopher for the Water & Air Quality Lab in the civil engineering department.

... That's where they train people how to work in sewage treatment plants. :D

Well, it was interesting work. The disgusting stuff was kept carefully under fume hoods and other protective measures, so aside from some ... peculiar ... choices in what makes for good shop-talk at lunch, it really wasn't a bad environment at all.

Most of what we eat, for instance . . .

Human stuff doesn't even make very good fertilizer unless it's eaten by bacteria who like that sort of thing, first.

Which is exactly how the plant in Maine handled it, actually. The stuff would get eaten by this bacteria, which would then be spread on the fields as manure.

Which is why I don't eat potatoes from Maine.

Yep. Though it gets heavily treated if it comes from sewage plants. Now' date=' if you're talking herbivore waste, that barely gets treated.[/quote']

Herbivores tend to generate much larger volumes of it, too.

That's good. ;) I don't give lab assignments unless I have built into them ways that make dry-labbing apparent. Perhaps it's apparent only to me in the assignment itself, but it's very apparent in the document I file with the Dean.

"Most professors believe that burning at the stake is too lenient a penalty for cheating, but they'll go along with it anyway since it's cheap and convenient."

I half dry-labbed something once. We were supposed to run the experiment twice but I ran out of time for some reason so I fudged the results of the second experiment using the first as a guide. I don't believe the teacher noticed.

I was, however, annointed as the student with the worst luck in lab work ever by my HS Chem II (Inorganic) teacher. I had to repeat several labs because he said my results weren't possible. One experiment involved silver nitrate (I believe) and, of course, was sensative to light. The second run of the experiment was kept in the supply closet which only the teacher had access to. It was also ruined by light exposure but the teacher said it looked like someone had shown a flashlight on it for a couple of hours and couldn't figure out how that had happened. I didn't have to attempt it a third time.

Needless to say, I decided to stay away from any field requiring lab work.