The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

For my master's the advising was extremely important because they did not announce what classes would be offered in future semesters. Without the adviser you might find yourself unable to take a required class because you missed the offering.

Graduate programs are, hopefully, different, in that you ought to have a real adviser, someone who actually cares in a mentoring sort of way about you as a student and person, and who has some continuing knowledge of your progress to date and needs going forward. Your relationship with that person is entirely different from the mommy may I beancounter "advisors" that are the standard BS at universities these days, who seem to be just another hoop-holder for the student-jumpers in the bureaucratic way of managing the cattle drive of education.

(Man, is that a horribly mixed metaphor. :ugly:)

My brother went to an interview once, and it went swimmingly. The guy said that in all probability, my bro had the job. Five minutes later, my bro is in his car, driving home, when the guy calls him on the cell phone, saying the job is his, for definite.

"Yay," goes bro, unemployed for over a year, and drives home.

Next day, bro calls guy up, to make arrangements to start employment, guy reneges.

The bastard.

:(:mad:

I had heard of the Templeton Prize before' date=' though I don't keep the name in my mind. Just happened to hear it on the radio on my drive home, and apparently it carries a $1.5 million award.[/quote'] Apparently it is the largest single monetary prize.