The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

you think you're a geek?

Helvetica -- the movie.

Helvetica is a feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. It looks at the proliferation of one typeface (which is celebrating its 50th birthday this year) as part of a larger conversation about the way type affects our lives. Helvetica will screen at film festivals, museums, design conferences, and cinemas worldwide, followed by the DVD release this fall.

Director's Statement

Why make a film about a typeface, let alone a feature documentary film about Helvetica? Because it's all around us. You've probably already seen Helvetica several times today. It might have told you which subway platform you needed, or tried to sell you investment services or vacation getaways in the ads in your morning paper. Maybe it gave you the latest headlines on television, or let you know whether to 'push' or 'pull' to open your office door.

here is a "review" of sorts -> http://www.designobserver.com/archives/023897.html

Cat's doing better. Probably was an injury rather than infection or poisoning. Pain meds were enough to get him interested in food again, and he was definitely limping on his back legs when he moved around. However, as of last night he was more or less his regular self. I didn't see him attampt any jumps, though.

Probably the silliest thing about it is the other cat's reaction to him after he came home from the vet. Lots of growls, both at the hurt cat and my wife. Siegfried obviously really really hates the vet, and anything that smelled like vet's office (including the carrier) was growled at.

Might've happened already. We went on the road late Saturday afternoon, taking kids to Grandma's for Easter. This week is kids' spring break, so my wife stayed overnight with the kids last night; I came home with my sister-in-law last night, but got home late and just did the feed-water-check-for-life thing before crashing. Wasn't much opportunity to see any jumping.

Cat's doing better. Probably was an injury rather than infection or poisoning. Pain meds were enough to get him interested in food again, and he was definitely limping on his back legs when he moved around. However, as of last night he was more or less his regular self. I didn't see him attampt any jumps, though.

Probably the silliest thing about it is the other cat's reaction to him after he came home from the vet. Lots of growls, both at the hurt cat and my wife. Siegfried obviously really really hates the vet, and anything that smelled like vet's office (including the carrier) was growled at.

Good to hear.

And my cats freak out at the vet-goer, too. The kitten, meanwhile, hides in the carrier intermittently after getting back from the vet. We'd thought she'd be associating it with going to the vet by now, but we suspect she sees it as more of a refuge from the vet.

The sight of the carrier brought out of the storeroom was enough to send the now-deceased cats into hiding. Siegfried hides so much that we haven't noticed an appreciable alteration in behavior, and Felix hadn't experienced it often enough to have developed strong negative associations with it. That may have changed after this last episode, though.