The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

The experts say that major tax cuts when the economy is rulling just fine will run a very real risk of overheating the same.

Plus, some services that the government provides will ceise or slip in quality, and there's no-one to step in from the private sector to fill the gap.

. . . I think there's a couple of booths down at the bus stop downtown . . . Actually' date=' they seems quite roomy.[/quote']

They can comfortably fit one person' date=' or squeeze in two. I forget what the practice was called, but pranking college students used to see how many people they could squeeze into one, for fun.[/quote']

The ones I saw could fit four' date=' easily.[/quote']

Man' date=' they do things WEIRD in your country! :nonp:[/quote'] Sweden isn't the only country to do that. ;)

Number 17. Luckily, before my time.

Not at all. One of my cherished possessions is my great-grandfather's copy of "The Building Foreman's Pocket Book and Ready Reference", "First edition First Thousand" by H. G. Richey, published by Wiley in 1909. My great-grandfather was a contractor for a while (and worked on the Multnomah Falls bridge, among other things).

Somewhere in there is the comment about government work being the "finest and most exacting quality". Given that the book is over 1100 pages long, I'm not going to find the exact quote quickly, though.

Well, I'm always pleased with the post office, but they're not known for their exactness OR discipline.

Weird to think of. On the other hand, the best road around here is the Blue Ridge Parkway, which was built as one of FDR's initiatives to help get us out of the Depression, and is still federally-maintained. Nice stretch, though prone to landslides and being washed out.