That name is too cool for you: Gimmie!

Hermit

I was just purusing some old threads about official NPCs, and I glanced over one where "Stalwart" got mentioned. Essentially, he's not that heroic a guy in the Champions Universe book who works for the FBI and has a suit of power armor. I recall one of my complaints was that not only was he really not much of a hero (nor in my opinion reliable enough that the FBI should trust him) the name Stalwart was too cool for him.

I even joked about cacking him in my universe to free up the name ;) However, now I'm not sure I was joking. I wonder if others have similar temptations, where the only thing you might like about an NPC in a supplement is a name.

Of course, sometimes you had the name 'first' anyways.

So, any names in the books you'd love to use if they weren't taken? And do you plan on or have you already taken them anyways?

Re: That name is too cool for you: Gimmie!

Yeah' date=' Stalwart is a cool name. You can have two supertypes with the same name though - Powerman and Powerman for example.[/quote']

Yeah, I know. There's precedent for name duplication in the CU anyways (Two Thunderbolt villains) but I was asking what others had done or what tack they've taken or if they ever DID off/remove/delete the official version rather than just saying "Okay, my character is Stalwart II" :)

I actually ditched Victory in the CU book for my own Victory :) Just didn't care for the character ... as for the two name thing ... I have a PC that chose the name Blackstar for his green lantern-esque character ... a plot coming next season may just be a Blackstar v/s Blackstar battle :D

It usually goes the other way for me. I'll think a particular name sucks (or at least doesn't fit well with my campaign) and change it.

One example of a name that didn't fit was Sapphire of the Champions. In my campaign world there are Auden, magical stones that grant special powers. Each one goes by the name of it's stone/gem/metal. The saphire stone granted the ability to control another's body chemisry for a variety of effects. So I had the choice of changing the CU character's powers, or her name.

So she's called Starfire now.

Powerman and who? I don't think I'm familiar with the other gentleman.

At a guess I'd say Doug is referring to Luke Cage and Erik Josten, the two "Powermans" from Marvel Comics. Josten was the first to use the name. He gained superpowers from the machine that Baron Zemo used to turn Simon Williams into Wonderman, but didn't gain as much power since the machine was designed for Williams and not him. When Cage starting calling himself Power Man Josten confronted him for the right to the name, but was beaten. Josten later gained additional growth powers and called himself Goliath, and then Atlas of the Thunderbolts.

At a guess I'd say Doug is referring to Luke Cage and Erik Josten' date=' the two "Powermans" from Marvel Comics. Josten was the first to use the name. He gained superpowers from the machine that Baron Zemo used to turn Simon Williams into Wonderman, but didn't gain as much power since the machine was designed for Williams and not him. When Cage starting calling himself Power Man Josten confronted him for the right to the name, but was beaten. Josten later gained additional growth powers and called himself Goliath, and then Atlas of the Thunderbolts.[/quote']

Sorry, dude, I was just kidding.