Whatever happened to the Wyvern?

Myrlyn

Re: Why not start a thread on revised editions of your old favorites?

Mutant tribal leader from 20000 years ago, made deal with imprisoned eldergods for more power ( inheritable ) and immortality. Moved dimentionally to a new world where tech is barred, and magic is pursued. Renaisonce earth with Blood nobles and magicians.

Note ruled by council as original leader is imprisoned by the very dimentional magics he was trying to dispel. Dangerous insane nutter.

Typically energy projectors/manipulators, with enhanced stats , telepathy and x-ray vision.

I liked them

Yep, agreed they were great. Sort of like the Inhumans family like structure but scattered to the four corners of the earth.

Only problem is they were Aaron Allston characters so may be unable to be reproduced to to copyright.

Rgds

Torch

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, agreed they were great. Sort of like the Inhumans family like structure but scattered to the four corners of the earth.

Only problem is they were Aaron Allston characters so may be unable to be reproduced to to copyright.

I don't recall the specifics, but I believe Mr. Allston said something about this on the board awhile back. He definitely created the Blood.

You know ... a Classic Enemies book for FREd would make an awesome Hero Plus e-book ... take a bunch of characters that aren't going to be used in printed books and throw them into an unrelated e-book ;)

You know ... a Classic Enemies book for FREd would make an awesome Hero Plus e-book ... take a bunch of characters that aren't going to be used in printed books and throw them into an unrelated e-book ;)

I agree...though on the other hand....I have enough old 4th Edition stuff to keep me doing update work until 6th Edition comes out....

Rob

Re: Whatever happened to the Wyvern?

Hmmm' date=' that's a good question. Offhand, I seem to recall that most of the members of the Soviet super-team in [i']Classic Organizations[/i] weren't appealing to me at all (Disinformer being the exception; I had some interesting discussions about him with Chris Avellone). The same could be said of a lot of the Golden Age Champions characters, who struck me as needlessly silly (fortunately, I think Darren's got a superb grip on the nature and characters of the Golden Age of the CU). Other than that, I guess I'd have to go back through the Enemies books a page at a time and see how I react to the old characters.

Wow...the Soviets(especially the updated ones in Classic Organizations) were among my favorite teams. They tied nicely into Russian culture and you had the potential for both flat out Hunteds and friendly rivalries. I only remember the really old GAC...and I liked Shocktrooper out of that and not much else(mainly cause they were so poorly built). I'm surprised you didn't like them(and even more surprised that the only one you liked was Disinformer-the least interesting to me), but to each their own I guess.

Rob

I'd like to know, personally, the stance on Zodiac and whether or not they will be coming back. I have had one exposure to them, and what I saw of them, I liked. Otherwise, I'm making my own Zodiac team using the Chinese Zodiac and making them the official Zodiac group in my champions world.

I'd like to know' date=' personally, the stance on Zodiac and whether or not they will be coming back. I have had one exposure to them, and what I saw of them, I liked. Otherwise, I'm making my own Zodiac team using the Chinese Zodiac and making them the official Zodiac group in my champions world.[/quote']

I think you should make your group either way, and then if the original Zodiac makes a return for 5E (I hope they do, btw!), you can always put your PCs in the middle of a turf battle between the competing Zodiac groups.

I probably will do so anyway. I'd just like to know if it is a possibility or not. I had built Dragon and Snake for the Zodiac Team before I had learned that 4th Edition had a Zodiac Team already. It is more about names. I like Zodiac as a Villain group name and want to use it if it isn't going to be appearing.

Guest Worldmaker

I probably will do so anyway. I'd just like to know if it is a possibility or not. I had built Dragon and Snake for the Zodiac Team before I had learned that 4th Edition had a Zodiac Team already. It is more about names. I like Zodiac as a Villain group name and want to use it if it isn't going to be appearing.

The GGU has two Zodiacs... one is a Viper/Argent-style organization that's a rival to Tarot, the other is a team of Chinese Villains. Its too good a name to not use.

CKC 116-17 has the back door through which I might bring him back' date=' if I choose to. In general I'd rather create new villains, but Wyvern might make for a good inclusion in next year's VVV.[/quote']

Steve:

Just wanted to say "thanks!" for the many replies in this thread. I honestly didn't expect quite this many responses on the whole, which is kind of cool. If the Wyvern and our pal the Fox both made come backs, I for one would really enjoy it. I think both of them were great villains for different reasons, and lent themselves to lots of fun adventures.

I'm really looking forward to the next villains book, and think you struck a great balance with the CKC book. If some of our old time favorites make it into the next villains book for us "old school" players, and those characters are the ones with good story concepts and potential, wonderful!

As for the ideas being kicked around for e-books, or threads of 5th edition re-writes of old characters, they sound good. If Steve and the rest of the Hero Crew don't have objects I'd be happy to take a stab at converting Wyvern for the thread. If Steve is planning on using them later though, I'll definitely hold of and wait with bated breath for the next villains book.

Thanks again!

Keith

Would Steve, Darren and co be able to answer if they would have a problem about people setting up a thread for posting new versions of old characters not so far converted to 5th.

Any objections guys?

You need to keep in mind that many of the characters you want to convert are not owned my doj. They cannot give you permission to put write ups for the blood, as an example, on the boards because those characters are owned by Aaron Allston. Most of the characters from the older books were never purchased outright.

There is also the fact that if a fan does post a character doj owns, and doj decided to write up the character for a future book, Wyvern as the example this time, then there can be more accusations of plagiarism from the fans toward doj.

Allowing fans to post doj-owned characters is really not a win-win situation for doj.

There is also the fact that if a fan does post a character doj owns, and doj decided to write up the character for a future book, Wyvern as the example this time, then there can be more accusations of plagiarism from the fans toward doj.

Allowing fans to post doj-owned characters is really not a win-win situation for doj.

Agreed JJR. I think that's why the thread hasn't been started. Folks are waiting to see what Steve says before they post something that would violate anyone's copyrights. At the same time, its nice to see the energy and enthusiasm on the part of the Hero discussion board members who are willing to contribute though.

Keith

Agreed JJR. I think that's why the thread hasn't been started. Folks are waiting to see what Steve says before they post something that would violate anyone's copyrights. At the same time' date=' its nice to see the energy and enthusiasm on the part of the Hero discussion board members who are willing to contribute though.[/quote']

What might be interesting, and benefitial for the company at the same time, is for Steve to make a list of doj owned characters that he never plans on using in the new champions universe. Then interested fans could write up those characters and submit one of two of them to Digital Hero each month for a new Unofficial Champions Universe column. That way doj can make a dollar, the interested authors can make a few dollars for their work, and more fans might show some interest in purchasing or renewing their subscriptions to Digital Hero. That could be a win-win for everyone involved.

What might be interesting' date=' and benefitial for the company at the same time, is for Steve to make a list of doj owned characters that he [i']never[/i] plans on using in the new champions universe. Then interested fans could write up those characters and submit one of two of them to Digital Hero each month for a new Unofficial Champions Universe column. That way doj can make a dollar, the interested authors can make a few dollars for their work, and more fans might show some interest in purchasing or renewing their subscriptions to Digital Hero. That could be a win-win for everyone involved.

As much as I'd like to see that, I don't know if Steve, Darren and gang would have time to work on a list over the books they're making. It seems like something that might take some time away from their normal work-load ...

As much as I'd like to see that' date=' I don't know if Steve, Darren and gang would have time to work on a list over the books they're making. It seems like something that might take some time away from their normal work-load ...[/quote']

I made a list in 5 minutes. I doubt it would take Steve any more time then it took me to come up with 20 names of characters he is never planning on using in the new champions universe. At 2 characters per issue of Digital Hero 20 names would be a year's worth.

Heroes

Starburst

Crusader

Jaguar

Seeker

Solitaire

Obsidian

Quantum

Villains

Neutron

Arc

Bora

White Flame

Pantera

The Whip

Lightning

Thunder

Panda

Raccoon

Beamline

Earthmaster

Halfjack

Power Crusher

Plague

Rainbow Archer

Thok

Radar

Sonar

The difficulty with this is that while we might have no intention of using a particular character now, you can never tell when we might come up with a cool idea involving a particular character we'd otherwise rejected. It's easiest and safest for us just to let the matter lie.

For example, JJR's list contains one character that I absolutely intend to re-create at some point. The fact that the right opportunity hasn't arisen yet doesn't mean it never will. :eg:

The difficulty with this is that while we might have no intention of using a particular character now' date='[/i'] you can never tell when we might come up with a cool idea involving a particular character we'd otherwise rejected. It's easiest and safest for us just to let the matter lie.

For example, JJR's list contains one character that I absolutely intend to re-create at some point. The fact that the right opportunity hasn't arisen yet doesn't mean it never will. :eg:

Oh sweet baby Jesus, Steve is bringing back Seeker!!!

Rememer, you heard the wild and completely unfounded ravings here first!!

Oh sweet baby Jesus, Steve is bringing back Seeker!!!

Rememer, you heard the wild and completely unfounded ravings here first!!

WOO! Seeker's coming back! Yeah! I can't wait till he ... huh? What? You mean he was joking?! Damn! ;)

Now I gotta return my "Return of Seeker in '05" t-shirts and banners ... bummer ;)