WWYCD #91 - A matter of Family

Argus

For Characters that have Parents.

While going through the attic, basement, or estate of your recently deceased grandmother you fine positive proof that your Grandmother secretly was the Super-Villainous Madam Sin in the 1940’s.

You also find proof that her first husband, your mother’s father, is the Arch Villain that is considered my most to be your archenemy. –Fill in Name Here- is also dying of a rare blood disease and needs a full transfusion from a relative with the same blood type, which you have. Your mother knows nothing of this if she is still alive neither does any of your siblings if you have any.

If you give him the transfusion you reveal that you are related to him. If you don’t give him the transfusion he dies.

The doctors have called in the world foremost mystics, doctors and healers and they all agree that the blood transfusion is the only way to save him.

A.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: WWYCD #91 - A matter of Family

** Starguard -- *BAMF*. He's healed. (The Power Cosmic is so nice for these little problems.)

** Dr. Pain -- has a (very) trusted and medically-adept friend draw the blood and store it. Then he has the blood brought in... with no labels on the bottle. Leading to this conversation:

Doctor -- "We got the blood."

Villain -- "From where?"

Doctor -- "The donor asked to remain confidential."

Villain -- "How do I know it's the right blood?"

Doctor -- "One, we already cross-matched a sample of it to a sample of yours in the lab, and the results were positive. Two, in your current position what have you got left to lose?"

Villain -- "I /will/ find out where you got it, you know."

Doctor -- "Hey, they didn't even tell /me/. All they did was hand me X units of whole blood with all the proper test results attached, but no name or biographical data on the forms."

** Baron von Darien -- is undead, and can't give blood transfusions. Furthermore, he has no living descendants... being predeceased by your wife and only child /before/ you're turned into a vampire, over 1100 years ago, really thins out the ol' family tree.

Style - "So my father was a hero turned villain, my grandmother was a villain, and my mother's father was a now dying arch-villain. Well, I'm feeling very depressed." Then he'd go and try to heal his grandfather. This sort of thing happens to him all the time.

AnimeGai - Not an organic life form. If he were for some reason to believe this were true, he'd simulate the appropriate angst and then try to find some cure for the disease (no blood).

Flesh Gordon - "Hey, Grandma was hot! I wonder how I'd look in one of those outfits? You know, maybe with a split leather kilt thing? Oh, yeah, grandpa needs my blood. Not a problem. You know, I always thought he was kinda buff for such an old guy. I wonder what he squats..."

** Starguard -- *BAMF*. He's healed. (The Power Cosmic is so nice for these little problems.)

** Dr. Pain -- has a (very) trusted and medically-adept friend draw the blood and store it. Then he has the blood brought in... with no labels on the bottle. Leading to this conversation:

Doctor -- "We got the blood."

Villain -- "From where?"

Doctor -- "The donor asked to remain confidential."

Villain -- "How do I know it's the right blood?"

Doctor -- "One, we already cross-matched a sample of it to a sample of yours in the lab, and the results were positive. Two, in your current position what have you got left to lose?"

Villain -- "I /will/ find out where you got it, you know."

Doctor -- "Hey, they didn't even tell /me/. All they did was hand me X units of whole blood with all the proper test results attached, but no name or biographical data on the forms."

** Baron von Darien -- is undead, and can't give blood transfusions. Furthermore, he has no living descendants... being predeceased by your wife and only child /before/ you're turned into a vampire, over 1100 years ago, really thins out the ol' family tree.

I’m sorry a Cosmic Power Pool couldn’t save Captain Marvel and it will not save Grandpa either.

If Dr. Pain is a real doctor then he will understand the procedure calls for the blood to come directly from the donor and into the patient while the patient is given plasma to replenish the supply. Any other method causes to large a drop in the white blood cells to be any good to the victim.

The question is. “Do you give the blood at the cost of your reputation or do you let the man die?â€

Not “How do you get around it?â€

A.

> I’m sorry a Cosmic Power Pool couldn’t save Captain Marvel and it will not

> save Grandpa either.

But a simple blood transfusion will? Amazing, that somebody with an 80-point VPP that's already been shown in-game to be able to heal *anything* short of death by natural causes (i.e. -- old age) and/or the soul already having left the body, is somehow magically unable to touch something that a simple blood transfusion can fix.

Didn't we already go through this in the other thread? If somebody happens to have a character whose powers allow them to escape the 'inescapable' dilemna, it's massive DM hosing for the DM to simply slam their foot down and go "No! It doesn't work!"

> If Dr. Pain is a real doctor

Actually, he's an ex-pro wrestler. That was his stage name.

> then he will understand the procedure calls for the blood to come directly

> from the donor and into the patient while the patient is given plasma to

> replenish the supply. Any other method causes too large a drop in the

> white blood cells to be any good to the victim.

Even if it's actually freshly drawn in the next room?

BTW, effective transfusions of plasma, red cells, white cells, /and/ whole blood -- from stored blood -- have all been possible for years. This ain't the 1950's any longer.

> The question is. “Do you give the blood at the cost of your reputation or

> do you let the man die?â€

I might ask why giving the blood so inevitably leads to the loss of your reputation, as the doctor running the transfusion doesn't *HAVE* to be a total blabbermouth about it. (For example, if this was a JSA comic, the teammate in question would simply have Dr. Mid-Nite run the transfusion -- while the villain was sedated and didn't know who was in the next bed -- and *nobody* outside the team would know who the donor was.)

> Not “How do you get around it?â€

Your players must /really/ feel encouraged to use their brains and try to attrack problems with creative solutions in your campaign. Seeing as how you're so enthusiastic about encouraging it, after all.

There's a word for people who arbitrarily railroad players into no-win situations because they feel it proves something.

Style - "So my father was a hero turned villain, my grandmother was a villain, and my mother's father was a now dying arch-villain. Well, I'm feeling very depressed." Then he'd go and try to heal his grandfather. This sort of thing happens to him all the time.

AnimeGai - Not an organic life form. If he were for some reason to believe this were true, he'd simulate the appropriate angst and then try to find some cure for the disease (no blood).

Flesh Gordon - "Hey, Grandma was hot! I wonder how I'd look in one of those outfits? You know, maybe with a split leather kilt thing? Oh, yeah, grandpa needs my blood. Not a problem. You know, I always thought he was kinda buff for such an old guy. I wonder what he squats..."

I like your replies.

> I’m sorry a Cosmic Power Pool couldn’t save Captain Marvel and it will not

> save Grandpa either.

But a simple blood transfusion will? Amazing, that somebody with an 80-point VPP that's already been shown in-game to be able to heal *anything* short of death by natural causes (i.e. -- old age) and/or the soul already having left the body, is somehow magically unable to touch something that a simple blood transfusion can fix.

Didn't we already go through this in the other thread? If somebody happens to have a character whose powers allow them to escape the 'inescapable' dilemna, it's massive DM hosing for the DM to simply slam their foot down and go "No! It doesn't work!"

> If Dr. Pain is a real doctor

Actually, he's an ex-pro wrestler. That was his stage name.

> then he will understand the procedure calls for the blood to come directly

> from the donor and into the patient while the patient is given plasma to

> replenish the supply. Any other method causes too large a drop in the

> white blood cells to be any good to the victim.

Even if it's actually freshly drawn in the next room?

BTW, effective transfusions of plasma, red cells, white cells, /and/ whole blood -- from stored blood -- have all been possible for years. This ain't the 1950's any longer.

> The question is. “Do you give the blood at the cost of your reputation or

> do you let the man die?â€

I might ask why giving the blood so inevitably leads to the loss of your reputation, as the doctor running the transfusion doesn't *HAVE* to be a total blabbermouth about it. (For example, if this was a JSA comic, the teammate in question would simply have Dr. Mid-Nite run the transfusion -- while the villain was sedated and didn't know who was in the next bed -- and *nobody* outside the team would know who the donor was.)

> Not “How do you get around it?â€

Your players must /really/ feel encouraged to use their brains and try to attrack problems with creative solutions in your campaign. Seeing as how you're so enthusiastic about encouraging it, after all.

There's a word for people who arbitrarily railroad players into no-win situations because they feel it proves something.

I read the other thread also.

A.

"Have you been called a Dweeb today? Don't worry the day's still young."

Unknown.

Anthem would make certain the transfusion takes place. She's a hero. She'd also keep tabs on the individual. Let me tell ya, a history of evil would certainly explain her father, and perhaps her superpowers a little better.

Uncle Slam would have had a nearly 60 year olf grandmother in the 40's. His longevity is not due to family genes, so he'd be skeptical of the whole thing.

Audra Blue's father is an unknown U.S. soldier and mother deceased..

Guest WhammeWhamme

So, how would SG react to having tem as a relative?

Anyway.

Flippant: He's a good person... but would have His _Secret ID_ give the blood. After all, they two are kept separate, and Flippant himself... well pointing out who he's related to would be BAD for keeping the secret. :)

Estatua: Public ID. Would do it in a heartbeat; the truth was bound to come out eventually anyway. He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Sludge: N/A. No 'history' of superbeings in his world. But he'd think it was cool if it WAS somehow true. And he's afraid of no needles. :)

It is a "What if?" scenario intended to be test of character and what your character values more. Just assume that there is a clause that renders any "instant solutions" unavailable because it would be more dramatic in the end. :) Say its some sort of techno magical, karma reality warping curse or something. It is a comic book.

Menagerie:Would like the old man die, not out of any shame over his actions, but he's a baseline and an ancient useless one at that.

Pinnacle:Would donate without hesistation. Reps can be rebuilt and if the world is going to scorn her for saving a sick old man and due to her genetic ties, well, then the world needs to get a life.

Stopwatch:Is kind of a villain herself, so first off she'd suspect a trap, but would likely break down and do it.

Gaia:I really have no idea. She's so inhuman, but probably not. All things die in their time. This seems to be his time if her powers can't cure him.

> It is a "What if?" scenario intended to be test of character and what your

> character values more. Just assume that there is a clause that renders any

> "instant solutions" unavailable because it would be more dramatic in the

> end. :) Say its some sort of techno magical, karma reality warping curse or

> something. It is a comic book.

No, if I'm in it, it's not a comic book. It's a role-playing game. And if the DM gets confused about the difference between a superhero RPG and a superhero comic, I'll gladly help educate him on the difference.

The RPG is where him and some other people are sitting around a table having fun together.

The comic is where he's sitting alone at that table, reading to himself.

Add -- there are things that work well in comic that do *not* translate well to the gaming table.

The "You are NOT allowed to find another way out of the maze! You MUST take the designated, neon-sign-lit exit!" syndrome is one of those things.

Now be fair, Chuckg. The situation is a test. A what if. There's no way Argus could customize it to every single character everyone has on this board. Using the Power Cosmic to just make the problem go away isn't really an example of really out of the box thinking or anything. Its not really that dramatic even if it is logical. Allot of the answers to these threads have been along the lines of "Here's how my extremely powerful character could render this situation basically pointless." I mean if there's no challenge, why even answer the question?

> It is a "What if?" scenario intended to be test of character and what your

> character values more. Just assume that there is a clause that renders any

> "instant solutions" unavailable because it would be more dramatic in the

> end. :) Say its some sort of techno magical, karma reality warping curse or

> something. It is a comic book.

No, if I'm in it, it's not a comic book. It's a role-playing game. And if the DM gets confused about the difference between a superhero RPG and a superhero comic, I'll gladly help educate him on the difference.

The RPG is where him and some other people are sitting around a table having fun together.

The comic is where he's sitting alone at that table, reading to himself.

Add -- there are things that work well in comic that do *not* translate well to the gaming table.

The "You are NOT allowed to find another way out of the maze! You MUST take the designated, neon-sign-lit exit!" syndrome is one of those things.

Fine. Whatever. Its a role playing meant to simulate the comic book genre, including some of the tropes involved. Actually, if you want to really split hairs this isn't even that. Its a what if question that seems to be meant as role playing excersize and to test the player understanding of their PCs. Just short circuiting it with god like powers, IMO, isn't fun nor is it getting the point. YMMV and apparently does.

> Fine. Whatever. Its a role playing meant to simulate the comic book genre,

> including some of the tropes involved.

Yes, and what's one of the 'tropes' of an RPG?

No. Railroads.

I have seen "It's a comic book!" used as an excuse for every type of literary, dramatic, and now role-playing sin imaginable, and I've never felt such usage to be justified then, and I don't feel it's justified now.

> Actually, if you want to really split hairs this isn't even that. Its a what if

> question that seems to be meant as role playing excersize and to test the

> player understanding of their PCs. Just short circuiting it with god like

> powers, IMO, isn't fun nor is it getting the point.

'God like powers'?

How's about simple common sense? Not only was the VPP arbitrarily forbidden, but so was the simple expedient of taking the label off the bottle, or using a doctor who wouldn't talk and not inviting a media circus in to witness the transfusion. Even to the point of inventing a magical white cell problem that doesn't actually exist in recently stored whole blood transfusions.

Is it detrimental to the game now simply to use the brain God gave a goose to solve what is, in all actuality, a very simple problem?

Show me the genre trope where it says I'm supposed to role-play like a linear, brain-dead idiot.

> Now be fair, Chuckg.

You be fair, Katherine.

> The situation is a test. A what if. There's no way Argus could customize it to

> every single character everyone has on this board.

There's no reason he should, either. Some people will have characters who are able to slip the particular 'unsolvable' dilemna of the day. The wise DM accepts this, rewards the player (if only in a minor way) for putting forth the effort to actually think laterally, and creates a different adventure tomorrow. The stupid DM throws a tantrum and arbitrarily nerfs out powers that the player paid points for, and then tries to physically drag them down a pre-set path and allows for no deviations.

This is the 91st "What Would Your Character Do?" In the vast majority of them, Starguard *hasn't* been able to just wave and make the problem go away with her VPP. So where the heck does everybody get off demanding that in the few ones where the problem *is* solvable via her superpowers, she suddenly forget to use them?

This is as silly as putting a chessboard-pressure-plate floor trap in the game, and demanding that the player solve the chessboard puzzle and mathematically compute the safe square to walk on, and then getting annoyed when the player remembers that their character can fly... and then arbitrarily retconning the game to strip them of their flight powers when they, God forbid, actually use common sense and available resources to solve a problem. Instead of, you know, thinking of another trap, one that can catch flying people.

Not all traps will catch all characters. It's that simple.

Guest WhammeWhamme

> Now be fair, Chuckg.

You be fair, Katherine.

> The situation is a test. A what if. There's no way Argus could customize it to

> every single character everyone has on this board.

There's no reason he should, either. Some people will have characters who are able to slip the particular 'unsolvable' dilemna of the day. The wise DM accepts this, rewards the player (if only in a minor way) for putting forth the effort to actually think laterally, and creates a different adventure tomorrow. The stupid DM throws a tantrum and arbitrarily nerfs out powers that the player paid points for, and then tries to physically drag them down a pre-set path and allows for no deviations.

So. How WOULD SG react to not having relations, but supervillainous ones?

But I have *fun* solving problems and figuring ways to escape "inescapable" dilemnas. :)

In fairness, any DM whose campaign I join is told this, up front... I don't believe in no-win situations, and I'll do my level best to Kirk any you send me. This has gotten me uninvited from some games... and invitations to others.

Not all traps will catch all characters. It's that simple.

All right, I don't see it that way (as a "trap" anyway), but I'm not here to argue with you either. I wouldn't have a problem with the GM saying "You're cosmic power doesn't work in this situation" but styles vary. Peace?

But I have *fun* solving problems and figuring ways to escape "inescapable" dilemnas. :)

In fairness, any DM whose campaign I join is told this, up front... I don't believe in no-win situations, and I'll do my level best to Kirk any you send me. This has gotten me uninvited from some games... and invitations to others.

With an 80 VPP I guess you could Kirk your way out of anything.

I guess these WWYCD questions should be for the Humble Heroes who can't do whatever they wish whenever they wish.

You have to look at the core of the questions and if your character is not equipped to answer with anything more then I snap my finger and it goes away. Why waste the time of others to post the same thing over and over.

I posted in the post that they have called in the worlds Best Mystics, Doctors and Healers. But you think that it should apply to you.

I’m sorry if my answer didn’t fit your idea of how I should run things. Maybe next time you shouldn’t answer.

A.

In a world with out pain how can you tell if you are happy?