WWYCD #91 - A matter of Family

Argus

Re: WWYCD #91 - A matter of Family

Don't tell me! Tell them! *points* :)

I don't point fingers. I may not have been referring to you to begin with.

[edit] Something like "oh, that would never fly in my game because..." is fine. It's absolute statements like, "That would never ever happen because..." that start off useless arguments over something that was subjective to begin with.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Characters that have Parents.

While going through the attic, basement, or estate of your recently deceased grandmother you fine positive proof that your Grandmother secretly was the Super-Villainous Madam Sin in the 1940’s.

You also find proof that her first husband, your mother’s father, is the Arch Villain that is considered my most to be your archenemy. –Fill in Name Here- is also dying of a rare blood disease and needs a full transfusion from a relative with the same blood type, which you have. Your mother knows nothing of this if she is still alive neither does any of your siblings if you have any.

If you give him the transfusion you reveal that you are related to him. If you don’t give him the transfusion he dies.

The doctors have called in the world foremost mystics, doctors and healers and they all agree that the blood transfusion is the only way to save him.

A.

Gwen The Fairy: You mean Captain Hook is my gran-dad and Grandma Wendy (who she considers her grandmother though they are not related by blood) was a Bad guy?.. o_O That would mean Hook is mom's dad. O_O... I am related to Peter Pan AND Captain Hook AND Tinkerbelle, AND Granny Wendy was a bad guy once..... "Woah!" :jawdrop: Wait till the the lost boys hear about this....

Though Gwen would end up giving the transfusion, mostly because she couldn't let Hook die like that....

~Amused~

P.S. I edited the relations to make it fit the way the intention of the WWYCD seem to be

> With an 80 VPP I guess you could Kirk your way out of anything.

Tell that to Jeff. I've been one of the most harried characters in his game.

... of course, that's because Jeff remembered the basic credo -- 'With great power goes great big headaches.' ;)

> I guess these WWYCD questions should be for the Humble Heroes who

> can't do whatever they wish whenever they wish.

The list of things Helene can't do is legion. You just haven't found one yet... and I am like heck drawing the DM a map saying "THIS WAY TO THE WEAK SPOT". :)

> You have to look at the core of the questions and if your character is not

> equipped to answer with anything more then I snap my finger and it goes

> away. Why waste the time of others to post the same thing over and over.

Better that than to waste the time of people griping and posting things that aren't true -- as I said before, the vast majority of Starguard's WWYD answers have *not* been 'snap her fingers'.

But hey, those are just facts, and who's to let facts get in the way of a perfectly good bitch-fest? Not you, apparently.

> I posted in the post that they have called in the worlds Best Mystics,

> Doctors and Healers.

And yet a simple blood transfusion still works? You are aware of the inherent self-contradiction in this, aren't you?

Internally consistent plotting is a boon to all genres, comics included.

> But you think that it should apply to you.

Well, given that my character is (as near as can be determined) the current human host of the Spectre(*), and could give Archangel Novalis a run for her money in the purity contest, the list of diseases and diabolical influences she can't at least give a serious discomfort to is durn, durn short.

> I’m sorry if my answer didn’t fit your idea of how I should run things. Maybe

> next time you shouldn’t answer.

I am awed at the sheer vista of the minds around here. The intellectual curiosity, the willingness to dare the unknown, the sheer breathstaking scope of the courageous and curious endeavors here...

... oh, wait, sorry, talking to the wrong audience. *This* is the stadium full of people who, if it's not telling them the answer *they* wanted to hear, they don't think it's got any right to talk. At all.

:rolleyes:

Point for future reference -- there are few activites on Earth more futile than telling me that because *you* personally don't like it, *I* have to stop writing.

(*) And if you think that makes her life /easy/, think again. :)

BTW, bitching about the cosmic VPP is a smoke screen.

You're forgetting that my *other* character -- the 350-point ex-pro-wrestler brick -- *also* easily sidestepped your supposedly 'no-win' scenario, simply by remembering the basic fact that in the normal course of events, over 99.9+% of all blood transfusions are anonymous anyway.

Gwen The Fairy: You mean Captain Hook is my gran-dad and Grandma Wendy (who she considers her grandmother though they are not related by blood) was a Bad guy?.. o_O That would mean Hook is mom's dad. O_O... I am related to Peter Pan AND Captain Hook AND Tinkerbelle, AND Granny Wendy was a bad guy once..... "Woah!" :jawdrop: Wait till the the lost boys hear about this....

Though Gwen would end up giving the transfusion, mostly because she couldn't let Hook die like that....

~Amused~

P.S. I edited the relations to make it fit the way the intention of the WWYCD seem to be

Funny, very funny.

I'm Amused.

A.

~Amused~

In your game, the story of Peter Pan or some variation, is literally true? Cool! :)

Ya lost me there. If I read this correctly' date=' Gwen the fairy is her own Grandma? ;)[/quote']

No I think she is saying that she is Tink's Daughter. Hook is Tink's Father and Wendy is her Grandmother.

A.

No I think she is saying that she is Tink's Daughter. Hook is Tink's Father and Wendy is her Grandmother.

A.

Yeah the progression is

Tinkerbelle and Peter Pan have a one time fling (don't ask how, no use trying to explain) in which Gwendolyn is..er.. created from.

Peter Pan and Tinkerbelle get killed by Hook's hand. Fearing her life Gwen grabs the only surviving members of the lost boys (all of two) and heads to Lodon and Wendy.

Wendy takes care of them until she dies of old age, in which the three move to Millenium City

When I created the charcter I was trying to explain why Tinkerbelle would be in Millenium City of all places and ended up with her daughter instead two dependents, a nemsis and death in her past... :stupid:

~Amused~

Ya lost me there. If I read this correctly' date=' Gwen the fairy is her own Grandma? ;)[/quote']

*scratches head*... Maybe in the south (no specific states for fear of offended one so instead I will offend all of ya'll) :winkgrin:

~Amused~

Ghost Archer:

"Might be interesting to meet my grandmother . . . since she has been dead for probably twenty thousand years but I get the idea. My mother makes a dandy villain as she did try to help over throw the 'government' of our home world and, quite possibly, is responsible for tens of thousands of deaths. It's something you live with."

"As for the second part? That's pretty tough. My archenemy is more of an archnemesis. If I had the only blood that would save his life, would I offer it? Yes. You see, much as I hate him, someone dear to me loves him and no matter what, I could not face the pain I would see in her eyes if she lost him."

For Characters that have Parents.

While going through the attic, basement, or estate of your recently deceased grandmother you fine positive proof that your Grandmother secretly was the Super-Villainous Madam Sin in the 1940’s.

You also find proof that her first husband, your mother’s father, is the Arch Villain that is considered my most to be your archenemy. –Fill in Name Here- is also dying of a rare blood disease and needs a full transfusion from a relative with the same blood type, which you have. Your mother knows nothing of this if she is still alive neither does any of your siblings if you have any.

A.

Mask of Justice: Checks calendar. Is still the 1940s. Looks at picture of Madam Sin. No way can she be a woman of over eighty years old, especially since this picture was taken last week. "Wait. The Faceless One is supposed to be my grandfather? And he's dying of a rare blood disease? You realize I could only know that if I actually knew the Faceless One's true identity, the one thing I have never been able to discover?" The Mask would presume that this is another bizarre plot by the Faceless One to lure him into a trap.

Rock Bottom: "Madam Sin was black? Cool! Uh-oh. The Blood Red King is my grandfather? The real question is not, will I save him, but why is *anyone* bothering? We all know that he comes back if he dies. There's no point."

Calculus: Huh. Interesting. Highly improbable, but interesting. As for the transfusion, Calculus gets his teammate Omnipresent, a medical doctor who can keep his freakin' mouth shut, to perform it. If necessary, by teleporting the blood directly from Calculus to Grandpa. If Calculus can't figure out a way of doing it without alerting the media, he's unworthy of the title "supergenius."

Kira Midori: Inappropriate. She comes from the utopian future (though a distant Japanese ancestor might have been Madam Sin) and her archnemesis is a robot.

Talion: Is somehow unsurprised. His reputation can only go *up* from being related to an archvillain, so he has no problem with providing a transfusion, but will have to do the vein puncturing himself for obvious reasons.

It occurs to me that if the grandfather is this really awful supervillain type--perhaps those doctors, mystics and healers are all taking the p---? "We'll just tell him that only a transfusion of nonexistent relative blood can cure him. No skin off my nose."

In your game' date=' the story of Peter Pan or some variation, is literally true? Cool! :)[/quote']

Yeah. Basically the cartoon version and Hook (Julia Robert's transformation gave me the idea for shrinking ability) are true. I am hoping the group of characters will be able to find a common thread... We should have decided that before starting the game ..*sigh*....

Otherwise she is loads of fun. it is amusing to play a character that doesn't quite understand everything that is going around her.

~Amused

Terminal Velocity would shake his head at even more wierd relations. His mother is Shrike (from European Enemies) and his father was a member of the New Knights of the Round table (he commited adultry with mom when trying to reform her, and fled in shame afterwards- mom truly loved him. He would likely do the transfusion, but talking to grandpa and make him take a somehow binding oath that from this point forward his effort, time and energy are spent being a superhero/helping people... and make that a condition of saving him. Die a villian or live a Hero.

Blackcat has a public ID, and would do it.

Ballstic has a public ID, so no problem in the unmasking, and avoiding the 60 point cosmic pool problem (magic SFX cosmic are so fun), whether he did it or not depended on the crimes commited and whether the guy had been tried for them. If he had, and had a life sentence or death penalty, he would not even come forward (he was a cop, still thinks like one in a lot of ways). If not, he would come forward, and do the transfusion, but watch him, and take him down if he acted up and makes sure he is sent to prison, because the damage done would be on his hands, as he sees it.

Well since Husky and Kenneth accidentally helped create their main archnemises "Shaggy" we'll assume the super villain is in fact Dr. Noble our campaign world's main villain.

Well this would explain where Kenneth got his amazing intelligence and grasp of technical science including biology. Kenneth would be intrigued by the illness that plagued Dr Noble since previously he's always been able to ressurect himself via his psychic microbes and extensive clone banks. Kenneth would probably be driven by his own curiousity and take a few too many risks. If Dr. Noble set up this whole thing as trap then Kenneth as Husky would put the smackdown. But if Dr. Noble attempted to sway Kenneth to the side of villainy the allure might just be too great. Kenneth uses the Husky persona to get a sense of belonging and escape the normalcy of his own family a super intelligent relative looking for a worthy hier might just change the charismatic Husky into the Nefarious Emperor Clarke who leads an army of cyborg monsters harvested from the homeless and disenfranchised. (Evil Kenneth Clarke is a formidable opponent who could easily grow into a Dr. Destroyer/Doom but with even more intelligence)

One more note:

While I realize that this was not the intent of the original poster, I saw the question as (1) how would your character feel about a revealed familly history of Evil, and (2) would your character save the life of a villain to whom he/she was related?. The "reveal your identity" part didn't concern me; there are endless simple and practical ways around that, and endless ways for the GM to reveal your seret ID if he/she chooses to do so.

I think that the question of reaction to a familly history of Evil is darn interesting, especially if your character must choose whether or not to save the life of a villain.

"Luke, I am your father." ;)

By the way, I should point out in Chuck's defense that part of his character concept is that his character has somehow, mysteriously, been merged with some sort of supernatural/magical entity which would at least *seem*, on the basis of available evidence, to be of a sort one might roughly classify as "angelic." His *character* doesn't even know that yet, and the specifics about how she gained her powers and what sort of being is involved remain to be revealed through game play. In any case, given the special effects of the particular VPP, and precedent for Starguard having used it to do amazing things along the line of Aid/Healing, including using Transform attacks to eliminate diseases (Transform Ill Person to Healthy Person), I'd certainly think curing the terminally ill would not be out of line. Assuming the being involved in her powers is some sort of angel/divine servant, healing the ill and the injured (short of those who are dying of old age or dying due to the will of God/Fate/the gods) would certainly be appropriate to character concept.

But then, I made the call to allow said VPP in the campaign.

The issue in this case would be, of course, for the GM to use a different sort of dilemma to vex a character like Starguard. Not all dilemmas fit all characters - for example, if you tried the initial set-up of this thread on a Punisher-style vigilante, said character might well say "Let the sucker die - hopefully painfully."

I've actually used Starguard having the healing powers against her to some degree in-game, as word of her doing the miracle-healer routine has gotten around, causing quite a stir and putting her in some moral quandries, and this *will* come back to haunt her at some point.

The issue in this case would be' date=' of course, for the GM to use a different sort of dilemma to vex a character like Starguard. Not all dilemmas fit all characters - for example, if you tried the initial set-up of this thread on a Punisher-style vigilante, said character might well say "Let the sucker die - hopefully painfully." [/quote']

In this case, I don't see a problem with "it can't be cured through the direct use of your powers." Comic books use that trick fairly regularly, constantly if you note that all the supergenius gadgeteers in most comic book worlds have yet to come up with reproducible cures for AIDS, cancer, etc. The problem I see is the "You must reveal your identity" part of the question. Too much GM forcing required to keep players from just finding a doctor who understands the concept of privacy and making use of curtains or a mask.

In this case' date=' I don't see a problem with "it can't be cured through the direct use of your powers." Comic books use that trick fairly regularly, constantly if you note that all the supergenius gadgeteers in most comic book worlds have yet to come up with reproducible cures for AIDS, cancer, etc. [/quote'] I do. Unlike the supergenius gadgeteers you've mentioned, the character in question already has demonstrated the ability to cure everything short of death by natural causes because it is their time to go, and even then, she cured all of their symptoms. Not allowing her to cure an ailment that could be remedied by a simple blood transfusion would not only be railroading, but a big retcon as well.

Golden Eagle would let Dr. Destroyer die, not to protect his identity, but because it is not ethically required of him

Bouncer can't understand how his arch nemesis, El Muerto Mechano (the spirit of El Muerto Obscuro, trapped in a Mechanon body) is his grandfather, much less how his blood would help. He lets him die, knowing that he will come back in a less invincible form.

Toreador had no idea that Taurus was that old. The last time they fought, he cut off the tip of Taurus' tail, and told him, "Next time, I keep the ears, too." Assuming he is still in prison, He trusts the doctor's confidentiality to keep his relationship to Taurus a secret.

Warp: Revealing his identity is a non-problem as that can be avoided any number of ways, from just donating anonymously to using an image inducer to pose as someone else entirely when giving blood.

The big question is what kind of villain is grandpa. Is he a thief? A crime boss? A serial killer? A meglomaniacal mastermind?

Thing is, Warp has a Hatred of Casual Killers which originated when Doctor Destroyer's orbital bombardment killed his mother at the Battle of Detroit. If the grandfather in question is the type of villain who casually left a mountain of corpses in his wake Warp wouldn't give him the transfusion because in his eyes the man would deserve to die.

Unless of course Starguard guilts him into it or something.

Spectrum: Probably not applicable. He got his powers after encountering the Black Monolith probe of the ancient godlike Progenitors, which transfromed his body into an energized corporeal state which has properties of both matter and energy. While he can experience and enjoy everything an ordinary human can, he has been freed of the limitations of the flesh such as the need to eat or sleep.

Thus it is very likely the nature of his transformation has rendered his blood incompatible with the villain. If not, he'll give the transfusion anonymously. And then be there to help make sure the villain doesn't escape the law afterward.

Mystic: As the potential next Archmage, he could probably easily cure his grandfather without a transfusion. The question is should he. After all, if his grandfather is his archenemy, then he is probably a big mystic threat to the world, if not the entire dimension.

Mystic would have to scry to see which would be worse for the world and universe in the future, saving him or letting him die.