WWYCD #91 - A matter of Family

Argus

Re: WWYCD #91 - A matter of Family

Afreet ~ Finds out about her grandmother, shakes her head and says "It figures." Mom, after all, was a twisted sorceress/telepath who tried to sacrifice Afreet to daddy--an evil elemental--when she was thirteen. Life just gets better and better. Hoo boy. Blood transfusion? You're kidding, right?

Manitou ~ Has a total CVK. She'll arrange for her secret ID to perform the transfusion, ask her friend Pulse to be the M.D. in charge, then alter any witnesses' memories to protect them both. Oh, yeah, and the debilitated super villian will find himself wrapped up with a big bow and delivered to the nearest stronghold. For that matter, she's pretty sure that someone with Pulse's powers could cure him without going through the blood transfusion.

Darkstar ~ is in our world from 1000 years in the future. She's here to do a timeline adjustment. So long as no one saved the guy the first time around, there's no reason for her to get involved. In fact, interfering might cause yet another timeline split.

Belle ~is a CAT, all right? Someone has their wires crossed. What's this guy got--feline leukemia?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more note:

I think that the question of reaction to a familly history of Evil is darn interesting, especially if your character must choose whether or not to save the life of a villain.

"Luke, I am your father." ;)

Or in this case your "Grandfather"

A.

In this case' date=' I don't see a problem with "it can't be cured through the direct use of your powers." Comic books use that trick fairly regularly, constantly if you note that all the supergenius gadgeteers in most comic book worlds have yet to come up with reproducible cures for AIDS, cancer, etc. The problem I see is the "You must reveal your identity" part of the question. Too much GM forcing required to keep players from just finding a doctor who understands the concept of privacy and making use of curtains or a mask.[/quote']

And if the reply was "I get my DNPC Doctor Killdare to do the blood transfusion thus keeping my ID out of the public eye." how could the GM object. The important part of the question is do you let a major evil die, when you know you can save him. Or do you save him at the risk of him learning you two are related?

"Luke' date=' I am your father." [/quote']

Or in this case your "Grandfather"

Darth: "Luke, you remember your third grade teacher? I used to date her second cousin, twice removed, on her mother's side."

Luke: "What?!"

Darth: "Well, I just thought it was interesting. Never mind."

Oh, yes, I should emphasize that Calculus will make very, very sure the blood recepient is in fact related to him, as Calc's blood contains a unique contaminant that could possibly *kill* the villain if he's not the right tissue type.

For Characters that have Parents.

While going through the attic, basement, or estate of your recently deceased grandmother you fine positive proof that your Grandmother secretly was the Super-Villainous Madam Sin in the 1940’s.

You also find proof that her first husband, your mother’s father, is the Arch Villain that is considered my most to be your archenemy. –Fill in Name Here- is also dying of a rare blood disease and needs a full transfusion from a relative with the same blood type, which you have. Your mother knows nothing of this if she is still alive neither does any of your siblings if you have any.

If you give him the transfusion you reveal that you are related to him. If you don’t give him the transfusion he dies.

Cassandra: "Wow, grandma was quite a hottie in her day. As for grandpa--well, that's life in the big city. That's the thing about being a supervillain, you never know when being a bastard is gonna come back and bite you in the ass."

Le Fantome: Considering that all of his family has been dead for twenty years to the best of his knowledge, this would ALL come as quite a shock to him. He'd probably agree to the transfusion despite considerable misgivings because family is family--especially when you thought you had none anymore.

Hell's Angel would be thorough pissed off to find out that one of the bad guys she's been fighting for the last couple of years as a newbie superhero turns out to be her own grandfather--and a right bastard, too! Given her background, however, she'd agree with Cassandra: you never know whwn being a bastard is gonna come back and bite you in the ass. No transfusion for _you_, pops!

No' date=' if I'm in it, it's [b']not[/b] a comic book. It's a role-playing game. And if the DM gets confused about the difference between a superhero RPG and a superhero comic, I'll gladly help educate him on the difference.

Wow. That attitude would get you bounced from my game in seconds flat. Of course, your use of "DM" is a pretty dead giveaway where you picked it up.

What is the goal of the game Champions? To simulate the action and adventure of a comic book, no? Yes.

Champions is a set of rules' date=' guidelines, and advice you can use to run superhero campaigns [b']in the style of your favorite comic books...[/b] - Champions, pg 5 (emphasis added)

Anyways...

No response for Peacekeeper the alien member of a hive species from 5 trillion light years away, for obvious reasons.

Iron Demon's Response: Clayton's mother is dead, and he has no brothers and sisters, so I don't see how giving blood to his grandfather would reveal his identity as Iron Demon. If the old man was suspicious, I'd tell him the truth (plus some embellishment); "I was going through grandmother's things, found out who you are, looked you up and found out you were sick, and I'm here to help. I know you are Professor Muerte, but I don't care. Personally, I agree with what you're doing. Mankind is little more than easily terrified sheep, and they should be ruled by fear and power." and then in a thought bubble (("The Iron Demon knows as well, and he cares! You'll see how he cares!!!"))

Then, as Clayton, he would make available the resources of Clarke Enterprises, my time, everything, and convince his grandfather that he is his one true heir. Then, once he'd infiltrated the organization and the grandfather had begun to trust him, he would STRIKE! He would return in the night as Iron Demon, slip past the defenses, and blow up the headquarters, then beat his grandfather to a pulp. If his identity was revealed in the fight - say Muerte stunned him and pulled off the mask, stumbling back in shock as he recognized his own grandson, giving ID time for a Recovery - Iron Demon would only laugh and say "The bonds of blood are not strong enough to quench the bloodlust your EVIL PROVOKES IN ME KILLER!" and then he'd kill him.

Not a comic book my ass.

> Wow. That attitude would get you bounced from my game in seconds flat.

What 'attitude'? The attitude that it's a game, not a railroad?

> Of course, your use of "DM" is a pretty dead giveaway where you picked it

> up.

Yeah, well, when your first Player's Handbook had this big fat orange guy on the cover, you tend to be a little old-fashioned. What's your point?

> What is the goal of the game Champions?

Same as any other game -- to have fun with friends.

Thing is, being arbitrarily rail-roaded *isn't* fun, and DMs who do that to me *aren't* friends.

It's that simple.

If you want a story with characters who do only what you expect and make only the choices that you want, then get a word processor and write fanfic. Or write salable fiction. Or write anything. But don't *game*.

When you DM a game, you're sitting at a table full of free-willed entities. The game has rules, yes. But one of those rules is, no changing the rules in the middle of the game just to hose someone.

I've struggled with whether or not I should answer this...

Given who my step grandfather is in real life, this is not a fictional scenerio for my family... were he to get sick that is (and I heard a rumor he was).

Fortunately I am not a blood relative, however my career choice will put a question similar to this in my hands on a daily basis.

As for my PCs - responses would vary. I haven't made an idealistic character in a while though, so most would just wash their hands of the affair. That said, most of my PCs are or were villains, so it becomes an issue or reformability of the person needing the help.

That said, I personally am willing to do what it takes to help a person needing that help until it is no longer possible to help them, especially when doing so ensures the rights of us all and because (and my religion comes into play here) Jesus, on the cross, was still willing to stand up for a common criminal in his hour of need. Something I say because this question touches very close to the question people would ask the doctor doing the operation, or the lawyer defending that villain in court.

>What 'attitude'? The attitude that it's a game' date=' not a railroad?[/quote']

No, more specifically the "I'll educate the GM if he thinks otherwise". Though, if someone treats my Champions game like it's a Dungeons & Dragons dungeon crawl, then yeah, I'll boot them out too. I'm playing Champions because I want to see superheros in action, not super powered marauders in action.

I don't like players who think I'm there to fulfill their power fantasies. That bores the hell out of me. Either we're all working together to tell a story, or you're not playing with us and you're walking.

[The goal of Champions is the] same as any other game -- to have fun with friends.

I'll assume you mean any other role-playing game, and then I'll accuse you of either missing or ducking my point. What seperates Champions from other role-playing games? Why play Champions rather than Forgotten Realms, or Vampire, or Toon? Gee, maybe it's because you want a game THAT SIMULATES COMIC BOOKS!!! Argh.

Thing is, being arbitrarily rail-roaded *isn't* fun, and DMs who do that to me *aren't* friends.

Who said anything about being railroaded? And what if you're being railroaded and it's not arbitrary? Are you one of those super obnoxious players that won't even let a GM set the scene without complaining about something? How much is the GM allowed to particpate in hsi own game before it constitutes "railroading"?

> No, more specifically the "I'll educate the GM if he thinks otherwise".

Well, if you're the sort of DM who thinks that the screen makes him immune to error, criticism, or the necessity of *not* acting like a little tin god, then yeah, kick me out of your game, 'cause I wouldn't want to be there anyway.

> Though, if someone treats my Champions game like it's a Dungeons &

> Dragons dungeon crawl, then

How is asking the DM to *not* arbitrarily turn off powers that you spend points for (a *LOT* of points for, in my case) 'turning the game into a dungeon crawl'?

Jeez, I say 'Railroading players sucks', and it's like I threw a garlic pizza into a vampire convention. Can you run your game *without* having to force the players into every next move, and throwing out anyone who dares to raise their voice against such forcing?

> yeah, I'll boot them out too.

Is there anything (save slavish obedience to your every whim, of course) that *doesn't* get a player booted out of your game?

> I'm playing Champions because I want to see superheros in action, not

> super powered marauders in action.

Wow, I want to use my powers to heal an injured man, and suddenly I'm a 'marauder in action'. Sanity has *left* the building here.

> I don't like players who think I'm there to fulfill their power fantasies.

No, apparently you're just there to fulfill *your* power fantasies.

> That bores the hell out of me. Either we're all working together to tell a

> story,

That's the key word. "Together". Part of "together" means that when I talk, the DM listens. If a player's only options are to either put up with whatever you feel like no matter what, or get thrown the hell out, then that's not "working together" -- that's "your way or the highway".

[snip]

> I'll assume you mean any other role-playing game, and then I'll accuse

> you of either missing or ducking my point. What seperates Champions

> from other role-playing games?

The rules engine and the usual setting?

> Why play Champions rather than Forgotten Realms, or Vampire, or Toon?

'Cause the Hero system is better than all three?

> Gee, maybe it's because you want a game THAT SIMULATES COMIC

> BOOKS!!!

You are aware that comic books run the gamut from 'utterly realistic and drab' to 'more wacky than Warner Brothers', right?

I get a laugh out of people who claim that comic book genre conventions support Their Way Of Gaming, and any other way means hit the highway. Genre conventions for comic books run all over the damn map! Fantasy, Gothic Horror, or Toons are *more* restrictive than the Hero genre!

Argh indeed.

> Who said anything about being railroaded?

Well, the part where every possible solution to the problem that *wasn't* either a) reveal your identity and suffer massive shame or B) let the schmuck die -- despite the fact that a simple dose of common sense, let alone Great Cosmic Power, would easily spot at least three separate ways besides a) or B) -- should've been a hint...

> And what if you're being railroaded and it's not arbitrary?

That's kinda like saying "what if you were on fire but weren't burned"? Unless you're the Human Torch, the one kinda inextricably goes along with the other.

> Are you one of those super obnoxious players that won't even let a GM set

> the scene without complaining about something?

Depends on whether or not his scene was consistently built.

If he just flings together any old crap that doesn't make sense, then yes, I will be 'super obnoxious' and point that out. If I have to role-play excellently and well in order to earn my XP -- which I do -- then the DM will bloody well *design* excellently and well in order to earn his player kudos. I'm not sleepwalking through this game, and neither is anyone else.

> How much is the GM allowed to particpate in hsi own game before it

> constitutes "railroading"?

Scroll back up and check out JeffreyWKramer's post for an excellent answer to that question -- as he is both one of the two most experienced DMs I've ever met, *and* the DM of the campaign I'm currently in, he can say it much better than I can.

How is asking the DM to *not* arbitrarily turn off powers that you spend points for (a *LOT* of points for' date=' in my case) 'turning the game into a dungeon crawl'?[/quote']

Oh please, you and Argus are both being dumb as rocks when it comes to that.

First of all, you shouldn't have even bothered to mention reactions and responses for characters you might have that would find no dilema in the generic dilema presented.

Second of all, your display of powers utterly missed the point. The blood transfusion was not the point, the point was: Do you save the life of a villain, knowing that he is your grandfather? And furthermore, will you risk your secret identity to help him? Now, where Argus screwed up is rather than say "Well ignore the blood transfusion part then" he said "Well pretend you don't have those powers."

The fact is, healing powers or no, you have only overcome the trivialist of details in the dilema. Unless your healing powers work invisibly over a distance, you're still going to have to reveal your secret identity (assuming you have one, and if you don't, then using this character to respond to this WWYCD was even more pointless) when you heal him, and you're still going to have to decide whether or not you heal him at all - and therein lies the thorns of the problem.

And yes, for the record, turning someone's powers off arbitrarily because you forgot they had them is railroading.

The rest of your response was such insulting and presumptative garbage I won't dignify it with a response. Though, for the record, you didn't say "Railroading players sucks." you said (paraphrasing) "It's not a comic book and if the DM thinks otherwise I'll be a snotty little bitch and start pissing, moaning and whining til I get my way." Or something liek that. That was the tone at any rate.

> Oh please, you and Argus are both being dumb as rocks when it comes to

> that.

So, anybody who doesn't see it your way is a moron? Seems that Odin needs to hand you a stethoscope and a cane.

> First of all, you shouldn't have even bothered to mention reactions and

> responses for characters you might have that would find no dilema in the

> generic dilema presented.

*NO* character would find a dilemna in the situation presented, unless they were dumber than a box of rocks -- that's the point. As a moral quandry, that scenario was shoddily constructed to begin with.

> Second of all, your display of powers utterly missed the point. The blood

> transfusion was not the point, the point was: Do you save the life of a

> villain, knowing that he is your grandfather?

And *I'm* the one supposed to be as dumb as a box of rocks? I'd think that slapping the Angelic Healing on a guy would already be a big fat 'yes' to that question, wouldn't it?

> And furthermore, will you risk your secret identity to help him?

Why should anyone *have* to?

Has it still escaped everyone's notice that in the normal run of events, over 99.9+% of all blood transfusions and organ donations are *ALREADY* anonymous? That they're *supposed* to be anonymous? That it's a vastly unlikely exception to the rule for them *not* to be?

"How to give blood without the donor or the general public knowing who you are" is a problem that's routinely solved every day. Acting like your players should be either unable or unwilling to see such a simple fact is insulting the intelligence of your players.

[snip]

> The fact is, healing powers or no, you have only overcome the trivialist of

> details in the dilema. Unless your healing powers work invisibly over a

> distance, you're still going to have to reveal your secret identity (assuming

> you have one,

... the huh?

If my character's a known healer -- which she is -- what stops her from just walking into the hospital in costume, slapping her hands on someone, and walking back out? She's already done that to entire hospital wards full of people in game, over hours of exhausting sessions, and somehow, she wasn't assumed to be any of *their* relatives...

> and if you don't, then using this character to respond to this WWYCD was

> even more pointless) when you heal him, and you're still going to have to

> decide whether or not you heal him at all - and therein lies the thorns of

> the problem.

A problem that I answered 'yes' to in my very first post.

You know, this is really quite hilarious. You got so arrogantly puffed up about how stupid and oblivious we all supposedly were that you completely missed the simple fact that if we're arguing at all over whether or not my character can heal him, she's already made the decision to heal.

> And yes, for the record, turning someone's powers off arbitrarily because

> you forgot they had them is railroading.

Arbitrarily turning them off for any other occasion that doesn't have a valid and necessary in-game reason is also railroading.

I mean -- Dr. Destroyer researches and builds a Neutralizer Beam to shut me down... that's only to be expected. He's Doctor Destroyer, he does stuff like this. My powers suddenly fritz out whenever they might inconvenience the DM's plot for no reason at all -- that's not OK.

> The rest of your response was such insulting and presumptative garbage I

> won't dignify it with a response.

(paraphrasing) "... I'll claim that I won't dignify it with a response, only I actually will respond, and do so using insulting and presumptive garbage of my own -- but nobody had better dare call me on it, as I am so obviously superior to the mortal worm with whom I am speaking that I am entitled, nay, *obligated* to such deeds. For I am jackalope, the God of Gaming! Let all kneel before me!!!"

Wow, you know, this 'paraphrasing' bullshit is... bullshit. But it *is* fun.

[snip]

> That was the tone at any rate.

As opposed to your own delicate and mellifluous tone, of course.

So' date=' anybody who doesn't see it your way is a moron?[/quote']

That's right Chuck, anyone who disagrees with me is a moron. That's EXACTLY what I said, isn't it? Because "You and Argus are both being dumb as rocks ABOUT THIS" means EXACTLY THE SAME THING as "Everyone who disagrees with me is a moron."

Twit.

Mmm, me thinks this thread has hit the unproductive side of things, and has grown, shall we say, heated?

Perhaps we should either get back on topic of letting posters say what their characters would do, or let it go gently into that good night instead?

Oh please, you and Argus are both being dumb as rocks when it comes to that.

First of all, you shouldn't have even bothered to mention reactions and responses for characters you might have that would find no dilema in the generic dilema presented.

Second of all, your display of powers utterly missed the point. The blood transfusion was not the point, the point was: Do you save the life of a villain, knowing that he is your grandfather? And furthermore, will you risk your secret identity to help him? Now, where Argus screwed up is rather than say "Well ignore the blood transfusion part then" he said "Well pretend you don't have those powers."

=You overlooked in your zeal to crucify Chuck that he had addressed that point. He said his character would cure him. Starguard did so openly, and Dr. Pain did so anonymously.

So it looks like turns out you were the one who missed that point.

The fact is, healing powers or no, you have only overcome the trivialist of details in the dilema. Unless your healing powers work invisibly over a distance, you're still going to have to reveal your secret identity (assuming you have one, and if you don't, then using this character to respond to this WWYCD was even more pointless) when you heal him, and you're still going to have to decide whether or not you heal him at all - and therein lies the thorns of the problem.
And those thorns were dealt with. You just weren't paying attention.

And yes, for the record, turning someone's powers off arbitrarily because you forgot they had them is railroading.
Glad everyone agrees on one thing.

The rest of your response was such insulting and presumptative garbage I won't dignify it with a response. Though, for the record, you didn't say "Railroading players sucks." you said (paraphrasing) "It's not a comic book and if the DM thinks otherwise I'll be a snotty little bitch and start pissing, moaning and whining til I get my way." Or something liek that. That was the tone at any rate.
With the above passage I wouldn't be talking about tone. Glass houses and all that.

So do I. Then some people started trying to create 'no-win' dilemnas, instead of just posting a general situation ('What would you do if you were sent back in time?' 'What would you do if you met a good friend of yours working for VIPER?') and letting the reactions to that be open-ended, instead of having to follow a specific path of pain.

In the wholly unprobable case that Nova's healing powers don't work on this distant progenitor relative of his (how was he made aware of the situation, I wonder? Maybe some mystic associate of his detected problem and solution), he simply walks in the hospital disguised, gives a fake ID and perform the transfusion, with none the wiser. Pretty much any other hero may use disguise, as well. No need to blow secret ID.

So do I. Then some people started trying to create 'no-win' dilemnas' date=' instead of just posting a general situation ('What would you do if you were sent back in time?' 'What would you do if you met a good friend of yours working for VIPER?') and letting the reactions to that be open-ended, instead of having to follow a specific path of pain.[/quote']

Cheese and Rice Chuckg!

Let us just agree to disagree. We obviously come from two different worlds.

I’ll make you a deal. I’ll not post in your threads so as not to offend you.

A.

> Let us just agree to disagree. We obviously come from two different worlds.

> I’ll make you a deal. I’ll not post in your threads so as not to offend you.

I'll make you a deal. I'll post in reply to whatever I feel like, and you can read or not read however you feel like -- and vice versa.

Cannis: “My Grandmother was a mutant and a villainess?†She smiles with pleasure, “I suppose that explains where I got my mutant abilities.â€

Cannis doesn’t have an archenemy yet and none of the members of the City’s hero team are old enough to be her father much less her grandfather. Ultimately, whether or not she would help an enemy that was also a family member would depend on exactly what the enemy had done to her and her packmates. She would be inclined to help a family member. Though she would do it in her secret id, since it would incredibly foolish to let an enemy have that strong of a clue as to who you really are. But loyalty to the pack that she fights beside is much stronger than her loyalty to someone she didn’t even know was family. If her grandfather had tried to seriously harm her or one of her friends, she wouldn’t bother letting him know the truth or helping him in any way.

This would be much more fascinating for Sailor Io (if I make just a few alterations), and I have to admit I hope my GM reads this one. (Forgive me please if this gets rather long)

The Senshi are basically two people in one. They are both the children of human parents who have been raised as humans. AND they are the full reincarnation of Noble Moonite Warriors that lived a millennium ago. Though they have almost no memories of their lives then, all their enemies and allies seem to think that they are the Moonites they were a millennium ago and still hold grudges and have issues with them and expectations of them based on who they were back then. All of which makes life very confusing.

One of the Senshi’s primary enemies is a group of beings that they knew as Mah-ki. For a long time the Senshi just thought the Mah-ki were monsters/invaders from another realm. They have since learned the truth. The Mah-ki are in fact a group of Moonites that had rebelled against the Moonite King and Queen a millinum ago about how the Moonites would or would not interact with Earth. The Mah-ki were banished to another realm which, due to unknown circumstances, was not the refuge the King and Queen intended but rather a harsh and barren land. Recently the Mah-ki have found a way to escape this realm and return to earth. Mah-ki and Moonite are virtually immortal (at least in terms of aging, they can be killed) so the wars against humanity and the Moon Kingdom happened during their lifetimes. Many of them are still furious about everything that happened back then and are seeking revenge against both humans and the Senshi (all that are left of the original Moon Kingdom).

What this means, is that it is quite possible, that one or more of the Mah-ki had been related to one or more of the Senshi back then. Civil wars are often brother against brother after all. Currently all of the Senshi see our human families as our families and haven’t given much thought to the fact that we must have had parents and possibly siblings back then. Which could make the discovery that one of their Mah-ki foes is really a relative all the more interesting.

If Sailor Io discovered that one of her relatives had been one of the Mah-ki, she wouldn’t be ashamed of that fact. In truth, she feels a good bit of sympathy for what happened to the Mah-ki and knows full well that they weren’t fully in the wrong.

Her reaction on discovering that one of her greatest archenemies is was related to her and was dying would depend very much on which archenemy it was.

Vash was an incredibly honorable general who treated all of the Senshi with a great deal of respect and who focused on achieving his goal of freeing the Mah-ki from the realm they were trapped in without killing or hurting humans, etc. Sailor Io liked him a lot, and he was the one that got the Senshi to start question their actions and views on things. If it had been him, Io would have given him the transfusion. It would have caused her problems with some of her teammates, especially her boyfriend Zane. Io still greatly regrets Vash’s death and still places flowers on his grave.

As far as Io is concerned, Koto is nothing but evil. By pretending she was in love with one of the Knights in Io’s group, Koto manipulated him into murdering an ally. She has possessed and used an innocent girl. She planned to slaughter the families of the Senshi. And Koto may well have murdered a new knight that never really got a chance to join the team. Io knows full well that in dealing with Koto it is kill or be killed and that if she didn’t she would be responsible for a lot of innocent deaths. She would never agree to donate blood to save this monsters life. And once she and her friends discover Koto is still alive, they will do everything in their power to kill her. Maybe Io’s attitude will change if she ever gets to know Koto better, but I serious doubt it.

We’ve not yet met the final general. Whether or not Io would help him or her would depend entirely on that general's actions and attitude towards both the Senshi and humanity.

Nemesis is the General of Generals. The Generals that the scouts have been facing are under his command. The Senshi have never encountered him directly and probably wouldn’t survive the meeting. He is far more powerful than any foe they’ve ever faced and according to what they’ve been told has been driven mad with hatred. Still, Io would give serious thought to saving his life. Io is trying desperately to find a way to end this civil war and stop the cycle of violence. Saving Nemesis might provide a way to finally bring about a truce or even a peace. This would be a hotly debated issue among the Senshi with much yelling on both sides. If, Io did do this, she would insist on going alone. She’d feel fairly certain that she might not get to leave alive and wouldn’t want cause her friends deaths by taking this chance. Of course, knowing her friends, they probably wouldn’t listen to her.