Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Allow me to be the first to respectfully disagree.
ok. I'd discuss it further with you but my heart is not in it. :) :)

Except that the brain is mainly responsible for feelings, with help here and there. The heart is just a pump. So, Brain wins again.

Just sayin. ;)

Certainly the pump is the major function of the heart, I don't believe it is the only function. I reckon that it also has mystical/metaphysical fuctions as well, but don't ask me what they are. ;)

So we're really talking about "the man who wants to cuddle" vs. "the man who prefers to avoid public displays of affection". ;)

Don't you know, SNAGs are in! (sensitive new age guys) :yes:

A friend is on his way over to pick me up; he's on his way to have to have one of his cats put to sleep' date=' and doesn't want to be alone. As if he and his wife haven't had life slap them in the face often enough recently. This sucks. :([/quote']

Ohh, Sorry to hear that. It isn't the couple I met is it? Hope everything goes alright. And things don't take a turn for the worst.

Ohh' date=' Sorry to hear that. It isn't the couple I met is it? Hope everything goes alright. And things don't take a turn for the worst.[/quote']

Yes, Tim, it is, and it was one of their four cats... the grey-and-white one, Tink -- short for Tinkerbell. We spent some time with her, were with her through the euthanasia... and I just got back from where we buried her at a friend's house. :(

Yes' date=' Tim, it is, and it was one of their four cats... the grey-and-white one, Tink -- short for Tinkerbell. We spent some time with her, were with her through the euthanasia... and I just got back from where we buried her at a friend's house. :([/quote']

Aw Crap! My condolences. What I remember of Tink was a loving cat.

And, trying to swing the mood with a completely different note:

Obviously my mind is rotting away' date=' because I saw the title of Von D-Man's "Hi-Tech" thread and thought to myself, "Gee, he isn't one of the guys I'd've picked to post about B&D here."[/quote']I'm glad it wasn't just me that read it that way at first...

I never have seen the point' date=' attraction, or "sport" of a "race" where the cars just circle the same (relatively) small track over and over and over again... like, say, the Indy 500...[/quote']

Did I tell you about the time a guy from Las Vegas ran the Indy 500 and made 75 pit stops?

3 for fuel.

4 to change tires.

And 68 to change directions. :D

JG

If HERO is supposed to be a universal system' date=' how does play the Amber diceless rpg in HERO?[/quote']Well, you... uhm... that is...

[shakes fist] Curse you, Bazza!!!

;)

The answer is, of course, you don't... and that's because they're both systems and the question you should have asked is "how does one play in the Amber setting using HERO"?

Even when you convert things from other systems into HERO, what you're converting is the ideas and content, not the system itself. So there's really no paradox at all. ;)

Well, you... uhm... that is...

[shakes fist] Curse you, Bazza!!!

;)

Got ya.

The answer is' date=' of course, you don't... and that's because they're both [u']systems[/u] and the question you should have asked is "how does one play in the Amber setting using HERO"?
With dice? :winkgrin:

Even when you convert things from other systems into HERO' date=' what you're converting is the ideas and content, not the system itself. So there's really no paradox at all. ;)[/quote'] Yeah, I realised that, but why throw away a good rhetorical question? ;)

And the answer is: that a system that specifically designed to model a genre/setting(1) etc will mostly be the best system for that game. This includes universal systems as you are mapping the elements to that system. The benefit is that you don't have to create a new system for each game. (1) The system for Dying Earth RPG comes to mind.