Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Odd injury, huh? Thanksgiving, 1987. I was using a knife to cut bread for the dressing. I was pulling the blade across the bread with relative ease, when after several strokes I noticed a streak of red on the knife. Huh, what's that? I thought as I glanced down at the bread seeing a pool of red liquid. The realization that it must be my own blood was more of a "Duh!" moment than a "AAAAAGH!" one. I looked at my finger, one on my deformed left hand, and saw that I had cut cleanly halfway through and that it was hanging there. Those fingers have no bones--I was very lucky not to have sliced the entire thing off. Funny thing is, there was no pain. I could feel something, but it didn't hurt. So I said in a matter-of-fact voice "Hey Mom, look at this." I remember being surprised at her reaction. She was horrified. I couldn't understand the panic even though the blood was now trickling down my arm and all over the bread. I was fascinated. Of course, her reaction was really the more apprpriate one and probably saved my finger. I still have a scar running across that finger. I should add that even though it never hurt beyond some slight throbbing the next day, I later developed phantom pains. Not really pain, but...ok, lemme see if I can explain it. Run your wet finger along a chalkboard slowly sometime. Then imagine that sensation coming from the inside of your finger...just bleah.

Now, as for stupid injuries, don't get me started...!

Sounds like bread is a gamers most dangerous food!

Have you ever gone barefoot and had something stick to the bottom of your foot? Natural reaction is to wipe it off on the top of teh other foot. I did that once, and it turned out that the object stuck to my foot was glass, and when I did the brush-off, it slice down into one foot and up into the other! No fun!

And once when I was waiting for a girl to call me, the phone rang. I was excated and ran full tilt to get the phone. I stubbed my toe going through a doorway, right where a panelling nail was sticking out, and it ripped my big toenail right off. I didn't answer the phone.

You guys' date=' would oou stop , The mental images HURT!

I will say I winced at the description of Scary Drifter's toenail.

Hmm, maybe bread is our nemesis. I had just made some pizza dough. I'll have to look over any records from all my other accidents and see if there's a breadlike pattern.

Supid accident: When we were kids, one of my younger brothers and me wanted to cut a piece of string. I'm holding the string - my hands a good foot apart - and all he has to do is use the scissors in the correct manner and in the correct place. His manner? Closed eyes and turned head. His place? My left thumb.

I think it was his first time using scissors. :rolleyes:

Another stupid accident: My best friend's mom was going to give us a ride to school. It was a wet fall day, so I was wearilg rubber wellies and gloves. I step into the garage to get in the car, but I slip and falls backwards. I try to stop my fall with my hands, but both the floor and the fabric of my gloves are slippery. Instead of halting me, my hands shoot to the sides, my right heading into a dark, dark corner filled with garden implements. I feel a sharp pain, and when I look to see what it was, I see the biggest, nastiest, sharpest and rustiest axe I've ever seen, splitting the palm of my glove. Panic ensues. My friend's mom rushes me into the house to get bandages and call the ambulance, and I'm crying my throat out. Only then, wanting to get my hand under running, cold water, do we take the glove off, and see that all the axe had done was a little nick in my palm, barely a centimeter long . . .

I will say I winced at the description of Scary Drifter's toenail.

Hmm, maybe bread is our nemesis. I had just made some pizza dough. I'll have to look over any records from all my other accidents and see if there's a breadlike pattern.

One time I got my left index finger caught in a car door. I had to have holes burned in the fingernal to let out the blood that we trapped underneath. About a week later, it was clear the nail was dead, and it was getting in the way... so I removed it myself. Not fun.

Odd injuries etc

All I have of note is a total 20 stiches in my head (4 times it was craked) and the map of Tasmania on my left middle finger. (it's how I tell Left from Right).

no one deserves Tasmania anywhere near them Bazza, I'm sorry for your loss.

One time I got my left index finger caught in a car door. I had to have holes burned in the fingernal to let out the blood that we trapped underneath. About a week later' date=' it was clear the nail was dead, and it was getting in the way... so I removed it myself. Not fun.[/quote']

Burned through? They used a drill on my toenail when it had a bunch of fluid trapped under it. Lost it two weeks later anyhow.

When I was a kid we were at a swim meet. I was walking out of the locker room and the door swung inwards. Since I had been swimming I was not wearing any shoes, the door jammed my big toe, ripped the entire nail off my 'index' toe and broke the nail on my middle toe.

I endoed off a road bike and skidded/landed knees first on the asphalt. With blood running down my legs I had to ride another few miles to get home.

Most other accidents tended to be due to modeling knives.