Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Rules were made to be stomped into the dirt, picked up, dusted off and eaten. :tonguewav

(translation: I'm not likely to bother with hopping over to "Thread B" for the purpose of responding to "Thread A". :no: )

John T

I would ask you to reconsider, given that this policy has kept the Random Musings thread from degenerating into a flamewar and being a safe refuge for people to post their thoughts without fear of the thread going south, north, up, or down.

Or to put it another way, I don't know why you should warrant the flouting of a convention that the rest of this group has been able to honor rather well. One of the core rules of functioning in society is the ability to abide by a few simple rules.

Do you think you should be able to disrupt and derail the game threads?

I'm going back to bed before I get a little testier. Please reconsider your attitude. Thank you.

I would ask you to reconsider, given that this policy has kept the Random Musings thread from degenerating into a flamewar and being a safe refuge for people to post their thoughts without fear of the thread going south, north, up, or down.

Or to put it another way, I don't know why you should warrant the flouting of a convention that the rest of this group has been able to honor rather well. One of the core rules of functioning in society is the ability to abide by a few simple rules.

Do you think you should be able to disrupt and derail the game threads?

I'm going back to bed before I get a little testier. Please reconsider your attitude. Thank you.

Given that I didn't start reading this thread until recently, didn't bother going back to the beginning of the thread 3900+ posts ago, and didn't realize that the other "Musing" thread WAS actually related to this one until today, no, I didn't take Skaramine's well-intentioned request seriously.

A point of curiosity: why create a "response" thread than CAN "legitimately" turn into a flamewar, based on comments in another thread? Sorry, but the logic escapes me. (Rhetorical question)

A point of note: I'd gone back and deleted most of my responses as a courtesy, before reading your post, once it dawned on me that he was, in fact, serious.

John T

Given that I didn't start reading this thread until recently, didn't bother going back to the beginning of the thread 3900+ posts ago, and didn't realize that the other "Musing" thread WAS actually related to this one until today, no, I didn't take Skaramine's well-intentioned request seriously.

A point of curiosity: why create a "response" thread than CAN "legitimately" turn into a flamewar, based on comments in another thread? Sorry, but the logic escapes me. (Rhetorical question)

A point of note: I'd gone back and deleted most of my responses as a courtesy, before reading your post, once it dawned on me that he was, in fact, serious.

John T

The Random Musings thread was started with a two-fold purpose. It was created because some of the local denziens reached a point where they said: "isn't it possible to muse on anything in this virtual paradise without someone blowing a gasket and turning it into a flamewar?" and a parallel desire to increase post count, and therefore pain.

At the same time, some obsessive compulsives just couldn't restrain themselves from responding no matter what, so instead of sending the Random Musings thread into the abyssal flames, this second band of malcontents started a Musings on Random Musings thread. No, its not purely logical, but the knowing the history at least renders it understandable.

Look at it this way. In the center of the city is a square with a podium where you can get up and say anything that's on your mind. The local ordinance is, as long as your in the square, the only person with the floor is the person on the podium. No heckling, no arguing, no comments. However, there's a pub off to the side of the square where people go to talk about what was said in the square.

Its odd, but that's how the RM and MRM games work.

The Random Musings thread was started with a two-fold purpose. It was created because some of the local denziens reached a point where they said: "isn't it possible to muse on anything in this virtual paradise without someone blowing a gasket and turning it into a flamewar?" and a parallel desire to increase post count, and therefore pain.

At the same time, some obsessive compulsives just couldn't restrain themselves from responding no matter what, so instead of sending the Random Musings thread into the abyssal flames, this second band of malcontents started a Musings on Random Musings thread. No, its not purely logical, but the knowing the history at least renders it understandable.

Look at it this way. In the center of the city is a square with a podium where you can get up and say anything that's on your mind. The local ordinance is, as long as your in the square, the only person with the floor is the person on the podium. No heckling, no arguing, no comments. However, there's a pub off to the side of the square where people go to talk about what was said in the square.

Still feels like... I don't know... sending letters out of Phoenix so I can drive 90 miles to Tucson to pick up the responses. But, as David Lo-Pan once said, "You were not put upon this Earth to 'get it', Mr. Burton."

Thanks, and sorry (to everyone) for the disruption.

John T

Still feels like... I don't know... sending letters out of Phoenix so I can drive 90 miles to Tucson to pick up the responses. But, as David Lo-Pan once said, "You were not put upon this Earth to 'get it', Mr. Burton."

John T

zar-ight!

How far is Kingman from Phoenix? I could always add players to my 7th Sea game.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Kingman is about 3 to 3 and a half hours norhtwest of Phoenix. That time range is dependant on how much construction activity there is on US 93, any Obliviots, Inconsidiots, Left Lane Vigilantes, and/or Granma/Granpa Piddy Poos there are on the road, and how bad the traffic is on US 60 once it turns into Grand Avenue. I could take I-40 to Flagstaff and then drop down on I-17, but that adds about another 90 minutes to the drive time.

Guest Skaramine

John T

Is cool, big guy.

You could have just brought the responses over... but sometimes that is too much work for just nattering away on a message board.

Guest Skaramine

I guess. As I get older, and the whole Santa Claus/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy belief system recedes in memory, the "holiday" season seems less a big deal, while Seasonal Affective Disorder (i.e. it's depressing because it's always DARK outside now) seems to take over.

JG

Theres... there's no Santa?

:weep:

Is cool, big guy.

You could have just brought the responses over... but sometimes that is too much work for just nattering away on a message board.

Neh, since I have now officially gotten 7 hrs of sleep in the last 57, that's still WELL outside the reach of my current mental acuity, and it was, after all, just nattering.

*chuckles tiredly* Nattering... I thought I was the only person who still used that word... :)

John T

Kingman is about 3 to 3 and a half hours norhtwest of Phoenix. That time range is dependant on how much construction activity there is on US 93' date=' any Obliviots, Inconsidiots, Left Lane Vigilantes, and/or Granma/Granpa Piddy Poos there are on the road... [snipped']

Man, you must be having it ROUGH right now, with all the snowbirds out there right now... though I must say you're terminology for them is a LOT more charitable than MINE! :D

John T

John T

Sorry to jump on you in quite the manner I did. Thanks, John, for your understanding.

PS - the reason I was public was for the benefit of others, particularly newbies, who might not realize the issue.

Would anyone have any ideas involving legal and feasible means by which I could raise about $2000 by the end of the month? I've been trying to come up with something' date=' and I can't think of a damned thing.[/quote']

Sorry to see the musing on your situation.

Can you drum up some private cooking/catering things?

I hate to say this, but it's early in the month, so if this is part of a larger problem, can you refinance if you own?

Anyone else have ideas?

I was just reflecting on all this and would add another point. It's not just flamewars, it's also a desire to have a place to just put something that requires no response but feels interesting enough to say or feels like one must release. There's also an implication that even if one responds in this thread to a random musing, the original muser feels less of an obligation, as it were, to respond, if that's their mindset.

Not for $2K. Maybe a Gourmet bakesale? ;)

I am hoping I don't have to scramble when it comes to closing on the house, but since nothing ELSE has gone smoothly...

I'll try to think of something.

Sorry to see the musing on your situation.

I hate to say this, but it's early in the month, so if this is part of a larger problem, can you refinance if you own?

Anyone else have ideas?

Guest Worldmaker

This option usually involves an initial outlay on my part, and I can't afford it.

Its strictly fundraising.

Guest Skaramine

Neh' date=' since I have now officially gotten 7 hrs of sleep in the last 57, that's still WELL outside the reach of my current mental acuity, and it was, after all, just nattering.[/quote']

Is cool. You need sleep. :D

*chuckles tiredly* Nattering... I thought I was the only person who still used that word... :)

And on occasion, I use balderdash, poppycock, horsefeathers, and zounds!

And when I'm truly amazed... "Oh my stars and teacups!"

(thank you Hank McCoy.)

Guest Skaramine

This option usually involves an initial outlay on my part, and I can't afford it.

Its strictly fundraising.

Write a novel for Gold Eagle. They pay $3500 for a completed manuscript, and $1750 on acceptance of the plot.

Then again, you're too creative and intelligent... the Editor in Chief might not think you're writing to the level he perceives the readership at.

Write a novel for Gold Eagle. They pay $3500 for a completed manuscript, and $1750 on acceptance of the plot.

Then again, you're too creative and intelligent... the Editor in Chief might not think you're writing to the level he perceives the readership at.

I wonder if they also handle licensing issues, maybe I could get THEM to buy my book? It's got sex, violence, language, plot, action, hot chicks, hot guys... I'm sure they'd buy it!

Wouldn't THAT be nice...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Guest Skaramine

GE are licensing cowards. I'd LOVE to get you in the stable, and maybe expand the series... but right now...

Right now, I'm not Editor in Chief.

If I were... we'd get somewhere. :D

Too bad, book one is almost finished, and I've already outlined and started writing the sequel, which should also kick ass (I hope).

And even just looking at the rough art that John did for the cover proves yet again why I married him... just a totally unbelievable idea that so worked.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Doctor Who. Vampire Hunter D. Dragon Half. Batman Beyond. Johnny Quest. The list is endless.

I will not, however, NOT write for Sailor Moon. No, no way, hell will freeze and have stadium seating with a hockey arena first. They'd have to offer me more money than even the highest-winning Powerball lottery.

On the bright side, I already have had poetry published, but a complete volume of my work would be nice.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko