Pulp Hero love...Sky Capt is a good sign.

ParitySoul

Adventure! was sadly done before it's time. But with the release of Sky Capt. I have a good feeling that Pulp Hero is going to get a lot better reception by this time next year. I really do hope that it gets it's own forum here. Heck, getting one just before release would be nice.

Otherwise, I can't wait to get into this book. Dark Champions is a delightful read and if Pulp is handled with just as much care, I'd be in heaven. HERO lends it's self ot Pulp very well.

Hmmm. Western Hero...ever again?

Re: Pulp Hero love...Sky Capt is a good sign.

Pulp Hero is probably the book I'm looking forward to the most now that I have Fantasy Hero. I won't get here soon enough for me.

Pulp is GREAT, I am working on a Pulp adventure for a 'con and I cannot wait for the Pulp book.

FYI: Pulp fiction as a major publishing market was killed off by the comic book industry. WW2 helped as paper was rationed and this too helped kill pulp as a major money maker.

It seems that ever since the release of the classic Justice Incorporated boxed set, HERO gamers have had a special fondness for pulp era gaming. There are several very good HERO websites devoted to the genre. I'd be curious to know whether that's (yet another) distinctive feature of our community. :think:

HERO gamers have had a special fondness for pulp era gaming.

I hope that is true, since I myself fall into that category. ;) However, even if Hero gamers are Pulp fans, they're not necessarily Pulp customers -- the former owners indicated to me on several occasions the sales of JI were, to put it mildly, not good. I am hopeful we can have more success with a Pulp Hero line, but it's by no means a guaranteed success. Hopefully there are enough Pulp Hero fans out there to make it feasible for us to build a solid line of PH products, since I have lots of ideas for 'em. :hex:

I had heard that WW was honest and said up front they would not be releaseing any source books for Adventure! Of course now that the Aeon line of books is being released as d20 so maybe they will change their minds. I don't really care as I will probably mine any Adventure! supplments for ideas as opposed to rules.

I think Adventure! and Pulp Hero will have similar issues in that it is a small niche market of RPGs. The advantage Hero might have is reputation from Justice Inc well research products and great production value. I picked up Adventure recently and read it. It had interesting stories, told me about their setting and hinted at some pulp tropes, but their discussion of pulp doesn't hold a candle to how Hero books have discussed genres previously. Personally I did not like the rules of how they pigeon-holed pulp heroes into one of three categories either.

One thing I really hope to see in the Hero book is a discussion of inventions, styles, weapons of the time. How things like the automobile changed during the era. How the great depression jaded peoples views. I don't expect a full history text, but something describing major events and how they can pulled into the feel of the game would be great.

I hope that is true' date=' since I myself fall into that category. ;) However, even if Hero gamers are Pulp fans, they're not necessarily Pulp customers -- the former owners indicated to me on several occasions the sales of JI were, to put it mildly, not good. I am hopeful we can have more success with a Pulp Hero line, but it's by no means a guaranteed success. Hopefully there are enough Pulp Hero fans out there to make it feasible for us to build a solid line of PH products, since I have lots of ideas for 'em. :hex:[/quote'] It might do better as a subset genre of dark champions - niche books sold under the dark champions line. Just thinking out loud, mind you. I'm a big pulp fan - I'm extra pulpy, but I fear it can do better as a subgenre (especially with notes on how to use it as mainstream dark champions stuff) than on its own.

Another concern, at least for me, is finding a group that would like to play the pulp genre. That would be another thing I would like to see Pulp Hero deal with. I really enjoy reading the stories and I picked up a history book on the 20s. But I don't expect the rest of my group to read a bunch of pulp stories or be experts on genre or time period. So some sections on how to get the feel across and a section on how to get the pulp feel in modern adventures.

If pulp heroes encompassed a relatively comprehensive genre mix, say Wild West through Golden Age, there may be enough breadth to interest various genre fans. A lot would depend on the specific subgenres involved, especially in the campaign idea section. I am looking for a good 1900 era campaign concept for our group of history buff gamers.

To "Mentor" Hmm How about setting it a tiny bit later (1904) and featuring British agents trying to keep the secrets of their new weapon (the battleship "H M S Dreadnought")out of the hands of foreign spies ? Or any secret weapon in fact. Early submarine, a slightly early synchronization gear for an aircraft machine gun, semi-automatic rifle (The Mexican Mondragon was used by the German flyers, to a limited extent, in World War 1). Must be lots of thinfs that could be used as a "magguffin"!