The Wheel of Time

NuSoardGraphite

Originally posted by Nolgroth in the Cybergames Wheel of Time thread.

CosmosEmeritus,

Perhaps, you are correct, but after thinking on the scene more, it was a straight Suppress vs VPP against Suppress vs VPP. Both were trying to cut the other off from the Source.

On a different note, I imagine the Channeling Clause that states "Thirteen dark brothers, thirteen dark sisters, and thirteen myrdraal can turn a channeler from the Light to the Shadow" is represented by a Major Transform. The modifier Requires a Circle of 13 Males,13 Females,and 13 Fades would be appropriate. The question I have is ; Would you require a PC channeler to become an NPC if he/she was changed to the Shadow?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a different note, I would like to see a complete martial art based on the Blademaster maneuvers described in the books. I imagine some of the maneuvers would fall into the Powers category described by Nu Soard Graphite in another thread.

I only wish Robert Jordan was more explicit in his descriptions of the maneuvers. The poetic names of the maneuvers are quite cool though.

Similarly, there must be a martial art based upon Mat's ashandarei. Of course, naginata-jutsu could easily be substituted. I think the UMA has that art.

Perrin, I think, just has a whole lot of skill levels with the axe.

Off Topic: Do you think Rand or Lan is a better Blademaster (not counting Rand using the Source in the battle)?

Originally posted by Nu Soard Graphite in the Cybergames Wheel of Time thread.

Good idea Nolgroth. I was thinking the exact same thing myself.

Yeah, I would probably base Mat's martial abilities on Naginata-jutsu from the UMA. It would cover his weapon quite nicely. he also has quite a few skill levels and probably some extra DC with the weapon (to represent his memories)

Rand VS Lan? I dunno. Rand has more raw talent, but Lan is WAY more experienced. I would give Rand a higher Dex, but Lan would have more skill levels and probably more maneuvers. Rand is no slouch though, he did beat that Seanchan blademaster without using the source...so his skill has grown considerably.

I agree with the names of the maneuvers. Thats why I'm sure that Rober Jordan adopted Kenjutsu maneuvers to his world setting, because many Kenjutsu styles have equaly poetic names (I've seen manuevers named: Full moon cut or Moonlight cut, Flying Swallow slash, 4 ways cutting, Soaring Lark etc. These are actual Kenjutsu Kumitachi) and evidenced by "Sheathing the Sword" which is the WoT equivalent to Japanese Seppuku.

Even the names of the Kenjutsu styles are elegant. Shinkage Ryu (Heart Reflection style, or God Shadow style) Shinto Seishin Ryu (Tranquil Heart style) Niten Ichi Ryu (Two Hearts as One style). See what I mean?

Perhaps, some time I will design what I think is a good representation of the sword styles found in the Wheel of Time. Right now, I am concentrating on detailing various Kenjutsu styles so I can send it to Bruce to put in Digital Hero....when he finds time to update the webpage, that is...

There was a couple of messages that were off-topic and dealing with kenjutsu maneuvers. The following message picked back up on the topic.

have a question/topic for this thread. How would you all do warders? More specifically, how would you

a) Do the effects of the warder bond.

B) Structure the bond to be an actual power.

c) Buy the warder abilities themselves.

Would you make either the Aes Sedai or the warder candidate pay for the new abilities with exp?

I have some ideas myself, but I want to hear your opinions. I'll post mine in another message.

Okay now that I have posted the question, here are my answers. Please feel free to bash them to bits, especially the rules aspects. If you have a better way, I would like to hear it.

For the first question, the bond would be simulated by a Mind Link bought as a defined group (Aes Sedai to Warder(s)). That way an Aes Sedai could have multiple warders. The books never specify if multiple warders feel each others conditions, location, etc through the bond.

I would tack on a couple of modifiers such as 0 End, Persistent, Always On, Only to determine location, general state of health, emotional state (-1/2) and Aes Sedai can block bond temporarily (+1/4)

In addition, I would make the Aes Sedai and Warder take either a Susceptability or Physical Limitation so that if one were killed, the other would take an immediate Ego attack through the bond.

Warders would also have a Psychological Limitation: Loses interest in living if Aes Sedai is killed, and a Vulnerability x2 effect from Aes Sedai Compulsion (mind control).

On to the next question. This is a pretty straighforward Major Transformation. The trick is to have enough power to complete the bond instantly. The problem with that is with the warder candidate's (presumably) high Body attribute. Would you allow willing candidates to use just their Body rating when determing the effects of the Transform?

Another way would be the "special effect" transformation. It just happens and the special effect is that the Aes Sedai channels a wee bit and voila' instant warder. Now what about unwilling recipients? I'm sure that Alanna should have had a bitch of a time bonding Rand. Even if he was surprised by the bond. Thoughts?

The warder abilities themselves would be easy. They would gain Sense Shadowspawn, 360'. A boost to End, Stun and Recovery. I don't think Regeneration would be appropriate to represent the accelerated healing. It just didn't seem that fast. Besides, with Healing it wouldn't be entirely necessary. Am I missing anything?

As far as where the points come from, this is entirely dependant on the individual GM. I would say that the points from the Disadadvantages would be used to offset the cost of the Bond to both parties. If any excess points were available, then they would be lost. If you wanted to be a rules stickler, then you might make the two parties save up the exp. Finally, you could just say that the Transformation power (bond) grants them the abilities and disadvantages at 0 cost. I personally don't like the last because it sets a bad precedent for future games.

As always, these are just ideas roaming in my head and I would like to hear yours. I have not playtested these ideas, so YMMV.

Not too shabby Nolgroth. There's only a few things I would do differently.

First of all, Mind link cannot be used to track. (of course, if thats how you want to handle mind-link, then go right ahead) thats what Mind Scan is for....but Mind scan isn't quite right to simulate the Warders ability to find his Aes Sedai. I'd make that into a Detect Bonded/Sense/360^/no range penalty (22pts)

Link it to the Mindlink so that if the mindlink is suppressed or dispelled the detect turns off as well.

I agree about giving Warders extra Stun/End/Rec. (maybe 10pts of each for +10stun/+20End/+5Rec) this, however does not go away if the Bond is disturbed, but will go away if the bond is destroyed (i.e. Transformed off)

The Aes Sedia can purposfully attempt to suppress the Link (just Suppress the Mind Link and the tracking ability goes with it) so that her Warder cannot find her. (this is done in Winters Heart)

I agree that the Psychological and Vulnerability disadvantages can be used to justify/offset the cost of the new abilities.

I would also use Transform to simulate generating the mind link, however, I would use Ego rather than Body for determining when the bond sets in. Cumulative Transform is recommended. I would consider this a Minor transform, since this does not considerably change the target, merely augment it. The effect that will turn it off is the Death of the Aes Sedai that the target is bonded to.

Here's how it breaks down:

Aes Sedai gains:

Mind Link with Warder(s) [10pts]

When an Aes Sedai bonds with a new warder she has to pay an additional 5pts to cover additional minds (2 warders is +5pts. 4 warders for another +5 pts 8 warders for another +5pts etc)

Psychological disadvantage: Attatched to Warder (10pts)

Cost to Aes Sedai (0pts)

Warder Gains:

Mind Link w/Aes Sedai: 5pts.

+10Stun (10pts)

+20End (10pts)

+5Rec (10pts)

Sense Shadowspawn: Detect/Sense/360^ [15pts]

Sense Aes Sedai (Direction and distance) Detect/Sense/360^/No range mod: 22pts

72pts

Psychological Disad: Must protect Aes Sedai (total/Common) [25pts]

DNPC: Aes Sedai (as powerful/14-) [10pts]

Watched: By White Tower (More powerful/NCI/11-) [12pts]

Psychological Disad: Must obey Aes Sedai's orders (Very common/Strong) [20pts]

Reputation: 8- (Warders are known badasses, also they are known to travel with Aes Sedai. This is only 8- because if they are by themselves, they usualy are mistaken for normal warrior or mercenary) [5pts]

Total points 72.

Cost to Warder: 0pts!

Of course, this is up to interpretation by individual GM's as usual.

Nu Soard Graphite,

Well done. I was not thinking of the additional disadvantages that go along with being a Warder (Watched, Reputation, etc).

After re-reading Mind Link (which I should have done before the last post) I think that it is sufficient to do the job without the Sense. I would tack on a limitation for the Warder; Cannot Block Link.

Basically it would look like this

Aes Sedai

Mind Link with Warder (additional points for additional Warders). Any distance (+5). Only to sense general state of health, emotional state and general direction (-1/4).

Base Cost: 10+ After Modifiers: 8

Warder

Mind Link with Aes Sedai. Any Distance (+5). Only to sense general state of health, emotional state and general direction (-1/4), Warder cannot block link (-1/4).

Base Cost: 10 After Modifiers: 7

That is my take on the matter. I would still say that the Warder is Vulnerable to Aes Sedai Compulsion as well. Since mental attacks through the Mind Link are at 0 ECV (for the Warder), that may be enough to simulate that Vulnerability.

On a similar note, what other Disadvantages would you apply to Aes Sedai themselves? Some examples are:

-Distinctive Features: Ageless Appearance (Easily Concealable, Causes Major Reaction or Prejudice)

-Reputation 11- (Tar Valon Witch, Extreme)

(Whether they are respected or hated, they always seem to cause a great fuss).

-Watched by White Tower (11-, More Pow, NCI)

-Physical Limitations: Cannot Lie, Cannot use the One Power as a weapon except against Shadowspawn and in defense of herself, other Aes Sedai, or her Warder, and Cannot make weapons with the One Power.

(Since the Three Oaths cannot be disobeyed after the Aes Sedai swears upon the Oath Rod, I thought they should be Physical Limitations).

As an alternative to the Watched being 11-, you can simulate the progression of trust from Novice to Sister pretty easily. Novice 14-, Accepted 11-, and Aes Sedai 8-. As an interesting aside, a Sitter of the Hall, Keeper of the Chronicles and/or Amrylin Seat would probably be watched as closely as a Novice or Accepted. The downside to political influence.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Great breakdown on the Disads of an Aes Sedai!

Here's some additional disads that are typical of women of specific Ajah...

Red: Psychological Disad: Hates men who channel (uncommon/strong)[10pts]

Blue: Psychological Disad: Curiosity (Common/Moderate) [10pts]

Green: Psychological Disad: Permiscuous (Common/moderate) [10pts]

Yellow: Psychological Disad: Cannot ignore wounded (uncommon/strong) [10pts]

Brown: Psychological Disad: Distracted (common/moderate) [10pts] note-this means that Brown's generaly are contemplating some acedemic puzzle and often miss things that are obvious to others. They should make perception rolls to notice things that would normaly be obvious...

White: Psychological Disad: Self Important (common/moderate) [10pts] note-this means that Whites normaly see themselves as having a higer purpose (studying the prophecies etc) than those of others.

Grey: Psychological Disad: Aloof (common/Moderate) [10pts] note-this disad means that the Grey will oftentimes not involve themselves in matters just to not be seen taking a side. This is only a Moderate level, so if it is something truely important, they will choose a side based on the information they posses.

Note, that these aren't set in stone, but merely the "stereotype" assosciated with each particular Ajah. Certain personality types generaly pick the Ajah that most suits them (Such as Nynaeve's decision to pick Yellow because of her background as a Wisdom) but by no means does this mean every member of a particular Ajah acts in the said manner (Elayne picked the Green, simply because she felt that it would be less unsusual because she planned to have multiple Warders, after bonding Birgitte)

For those who are interested, a great WOT site that I have found is located at:

http://64.128.72.85/~ewot/

Check it out. Its like a MASSIVE encyclopedia. Its a very well done site.

Okay, I've been pretty busy coming up with questions. Thanks for answering NuSoard Graphite. I do have another one (for now).

What about Ogier and Ogier abilities and restrictions?

Other than massive size and strength, Loial seemed to be a Singer (or more precisely Treesinger). The only time we actually got to "see" him perform this ability is when Rand, the thief-taker (be darned if I could remember his name) and Loial were in the alternate world where they met Selene (Lanfear). There, he sung a staff out of a tree.

There are numerous other references to Sung Wood. The inn that Moiraine, Lan, Perrin, and Loial stayed at had a Sung Wood bed. (They were chasing Rand. This was where Perrin freed Gaul and met Faile). Loial has made several references to Singers along the way.

So my question is; How do you define a Treesinger's abilities?

My answer is a Minor Transformation. Sung Wood can take many forms, apparently, and also may have properties that differentiate it from normal wood, but it is still basically just changing the shape of wood.

I see no problem with using Treesinging to create staves or axe handles. At best, I would give them 1 DEF higher than normal hard wood. It just doesn't strike me as something that can be abused if the GM is on his toes. There is only so much wood that a tree can give up and survive.

In EotW, Loial sang to the sapling created after the Green Man passed on. He indicated that it would remain pure even when the Blight overtook the rest of the area around it. To me this is a special effect, as it would not have any lasting mechanical effect in the game. It might prove to be one of those legendary acts that the next age refers to, but other than that I see no long-term effects to worry about.

The other ability is to Sense or Detect Sung Wood. Either Detect or Sense seems appropriate and I do not remember the dialogue enough to remember if Loial immediately knew his bed was Sung Wood or if he had to examine it. Given Mr. Jordan's tendency to make detection of abnormal abilities more like a Sense, that is the way I would define it.

Now, the dependance of stedding for the Ogier is a lot harder to define. If it is defined as anything more than a special effect, the point value from a Dependancy or Susceptability would be 0. Perhaps a low point Physical Limitation. Personally I would simply let all players running Ogier know that they had to return to the stedding after 'x' number of game months.

On to a cultural examination. Ogier are true to a given promise, even to the point of placing themselves in great physical danger. The Ogier of Illian left without completing their work, which leaves some doubt as to the absoluteness of that statement. Perhaps Loial, being young and not so pessimistic as an older Ogier, might have tried to live up to the reputation of stalwart loyalty. Maybe there is an escape clause somewhere, such as non-payment of fees, that allowed the Illian Ogier to remove themselves from the city.

Anyway, here are my rules interpretations.

Treesinging

2D6 Minor Transformation: Living Tree to Sung Wood item of any shape. [Cumulative (+1/2), Limited Class of Objects (+1/4), Concentrate 1/2 DVC (-1/4), Incantations 1/4), Extra Time: 1 minute (-1 1/2)]

Active Points: 17 Real Cost: 6

Sense Sung Wood

Detect (as Sense)

Active Points: 5 Real Cost: 5

I have not defined Loial's actions in the Blight, as it seemed more of a special effect than a truly useful power.

As a final note, as a GM I would add +1 DEF to whatever type of wood was being Sung. It is a minor enough bonus that it shouldn't have a great deal of effect.

As part of the Ogier culture, I would encourage or require the two Psychological Limitations below.

Protective of Trees. Will not intentionally harm a tree by any means unless there is grave need (Common, Strong)

Always Keeps Word. Will risk injury or death to keep his oath. Will only break oath if he is betrayed by the person he is sworn to. (Very Common, Total).

That about sums it up. I would really like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Sorry about the epic length posts recently.

Here's yet another one. I really need to get a life.

To further differentiate between male and female channelers, I would base the male Channeling skill on Ego and the females' on Presence.

How would you simulate the ability to "tie off" a weave? Change the pool so the power has the Uncontrolled and Continuous Advantages? This is especially important when someone is Shielded for long periods of time.

I would define a Weave that has been tied off as so:

(Continuous, Uncontrolled, Reduced END; 0 END, Persistent) The power would still count towards the points in the Channeling pool and/or the maximum number of different Weaves (powers) the character can have active (usually INT/5)

Well folks, that's the extent of what I had saved. After the last message I had, there were probably between five to ten more posts (mostly from Nu Soard Graphite) concerning Blademastery as a martial art. I wish that I had saved them, but I never got around to saving the page again. Sorry NuSoard.

Now that the old stuff is there (and I've had a chance to read it again) I will probably have some revisions to my older ideas and maybe even some new ideas to boot. Hope you all enjoyed the little glimpse into the past.

Damn! It's a pity you don't have NuSoard's blademaster posts - they were a great example of using HERO's martial arts system, giving lots of forms with a small number of martial maneuvers. I kept on meaning to save them to use as flavour text in games.

"Your opponent starts the flowing arcs of the 'Dragonfly's Beating Wings' Defense." - GM

"That's a Defensive Block with skill levels in DCV normally followed by a counter strike, right?" - Player

"Make an Analysis Skill roll and hope you beat his feint..." -GM

Michael

Mavnn,

I too wish that I had foresight enough to save those messages before the old message boards crashed. It sounds as if the 5th edition has changed some of the martial arts stuff, but at least it would have given NuSoardGraphite some prototypes to work from.

NuSoardGraphite,

It was my pleasure to post those messages. We had a really good thread going back then. Usually, I try to save the threads that get me interested. I lost a couple of them with a data crash, but this one I managed to back up to CD-ROM before the loss. I'm glad you appreciate it.

W.O.T. martial art maneuvers.

Hey NSG... I didn't keep the whole thread, but I did keep all the maneuvers list that you had posted, which went up to L the last time I was able to read the old boards. I'll post them here. Keep in mind these are from a .txt file, but I did try to add respectable formatting, but if you want to copy and clean them up, then repost, they're all yours.

Of course, they always were. I was just hanging onto them for you. :)

Apple Blossoms in the Wind:

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Offensive Strike(-2/+1/+2)

Hit Location: 1D6+3(-4)

Skill Levels: Split OCV/DC

Note: An attempt at chopping the head/neck, though a glancing blow will usualy hit the shoulder (should treat a roll of 8 as shoulder)

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Martial Block(+2/+2/-)

Hit Location: N/A

Skill Levels: All to OCV

Note: Active defense vs Multiple attackers

Arc of the Moon

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Sacrifice Strike(+1/-2/+2)

Hit Location: 2D6+4(-1)

Skill Levels: To OCV/DC

Note: Intention is to sever Stomach/vitals or Chest. Also, good VS mounted opponents (attack arcs upward from kneeled to standing position)

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Defensive block(+1/+3/-)

Skill Levels: Split between OCV/DCV

Note: wide swing of blade, meant to keep opponent at bay more than an actual parry (but can be used to parry) Skill levels should be placed in DCV first, then OCV if swordsman posses enough levels.

Black Pebbles on Snow

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Martial Strike(+0/+2/+1)

Hit Location: 11 (-3)

Skill Levels: Split between OCV/DCV

Note: A tuck and roll into a mid-level slash. Requires an acrobatics roll. Acrobatics bonus should be put to DCV.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Martial Dodge(+0/+5/-) Or Defensive block(+1/+3/-)

Skill Levels: DCV of course

Note: Used vs multiple opponents. The tuck and roll can be used to dodge. The block version can be used against multiple opponents, also to set up a counter-attack against one of the opponents next phase (the counter-attack is usualy a kick technique)

Boar Rushes Downhill

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Offensive Strike(-2/+1/+2)

Hit Location: 2D6+1(-2)

Skill Levels: to OCV

Note: A vertical slash. See also Boar rushes down the Mountain.

((Defense)):

Skill Levels: OCV

Note: Pretty standard. Normaly used to counter an upswinging blade.

Boar Rushes Down the Mountain

((Attack))

Maneuver: Sacrifice Strike(+1/-2/+2)

Skill Levels: to DC. Odd levels to OCV.

Note: This is the "all out attack" version of Boar Rushes Downhill. It will leave one open to counter attack, so use wisely. If the technique connects, it should cleave one's opponent in two, however.

((Defense)):

Skill Levels: To OCV

Note: Same as Boar Rushes Downhill. GM's might want to apply weapon damage on a successful block with this mighty blow.

Bundling Straw

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Fast Strike(+2/+0/+1)

Note: A swordsman with enough skill levels should just go ahead and aim for location-3(head) or 4(face)

((Defense)):

Note: Used "defensively" this starts with a "Feint" attack. If the opponent falls for the Feint (use sleight of hand) punch them in the face with the pommel of the sword. (Str+2D6 damage) Feint maneuvers are good for forcing opponents to do things they might not ordinarily do. A successful feint may cause an opponent to block rather than attack. (use a perception roll to see if they fall for the feint maneuver)

Cat Crossing the Courtyard

This is more a posture/movement technique than an attack or defense maneuver. If someone is using Cat Crossing the Courtyard, they alert and ready to attack/defend at any moment...thus, Skill levels should be split between OCV and DCV when using Cat Crossing the Courtyard in anticipation of combat. This also denotes someone moving with Combat speed rather than Non-combat speed. DCV is full and they should gain a +1 Perception bonus to check for suprise (they are ALERT)

Cat Dances on the Wall

((Attack)):

Skill Levels: split OCV/DCV

Note: A complicated spinning move.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Martial Dodge(+0/+5/-)

Skill Levels: to DCV

Note: Used to keep opponent at bay. Next phase, use feint maneuver to fake attack on current opponent and switch opponents last minute. Great suprise move.

Cat on Hotstand

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Martial Strike(+0/+2/+1)

Skill Levels: Split OCV/DCV

Note: Often follows Apple Blossoms in the Wind.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Half phase move(n/a)

Skill Levels: ? (depends)

Note: this is a half phase move to get into position to your opponents flank. Be advised that this move opens you up for an attack for a moment, however, after the move is finished, one may launch an attack at the opponents flank (note with this move, one gives initiative to their opponent, but after opponent has acted, they gain the bonus for attacking the opponent from behind)

Courtier Taps his Fan

((Attack)):

Skill Levels: Split OCV/DC

Note: Use a Feint maneuver first...this simulates knocking your opponents blade to the side. Basicaly a more complicated version of Bundling Straw

((Defense)):

Note: Use the block to knock an opponents attack aside. Follow up next phase with Bundling Straw.

Creeper Embraces the Oak

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Defensive Strike(+1/+3/+0)

Note: Use a half phase move to circle opponent. A series of short thrusts to keep opponent at bay. (usualy only one or two will connect)

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Defensive Block(+1/+3/-)

Note: Half move to circle opponent. Keep moving blade from high to low gaurd to keep opponent guessing. Opponent should be confused on how to attack (thus the high DCV)

Cutting the Clouds

((Attack)):

Hit Location: 6(-6)

Note: This move is used if the blades are locked (during a Weapon Bind). If the attacker initiated the bind, he may use this technique anytime thereafter, as long as his opponent does not break the bind before. If one is the defender in a weapon bind, one may use this technique immediately after breaking the bind. This may make a great suprise move. Give opponent a perception roll to see if they notice...if they fail give the attacker +1 to OCV/2pts they fail by (this goes toward cancelling some of that high OCV penalty to hit the wrist) Basicaly, twisting the blades so that one hits the opponents wrists. Ouch! (Vader used this on Luke in Empire)

((Defense)):

Skill Levels: Split OCV/DCV

Note: normally used to defend against an opponent who is on higher ground (possibly mounted)

Thats all for now. (Much) more later!

And here's another....

Actually, its not as expensive as you might think. Basically, each Sword Form is open to someone provided they know the required maneuvers and skills.

Example would be, if a Swordsman had the Offensive Strike maneuver with their sword, they would be able to use:

Apple Blossoms in the Wind

Boar Rushes Downhill

Someone with the Fast Strike maneuver would be able to use:

Bundling Straw

Cat Dances on the Wall

Courtier Taps his Fan

Cutting the Clouds

Someone with Martial Block could use:

Apple Blossoms in the Wind

Boar Rushes Downhill

Boar Rushes Down the Mountain

Courtier Taps his Fan

Cutting the Clouds.

Of course, to be able to use a specific Sword Form, one must have both the Offensive maneuver and Defensive maneuver required to completely know the Form.

All a Form does is decide how the Skill levels are to be spent and the type of Hit Location modifier that is to be used (if any).

Also, with this specific system in use, an Analyze Style skill roll will go a long way toward giving a character a good idea of what attack or defense to use against their opponent.

Player: "I've made my Analyze Style roll by 3pts"

GM: "Okay. It looks like your opponent is preparing to use Arc of the Moon That means it is going to come toward your midsection and has a High OCV and potentially high damage."

Player: "Okay. I'll use Boar Rushes Downhill to block"

GM: "Good! That move is a good counter to Arc of the Moon so I'll give you a bonus of +1 to your OCV to block because you anticipated his action well"

Player: "Kick ass!"

See what I mean?

It also provides a pretty good aid (since you know what the Form looks like when being preformed) to help visualize the combat.

If anyone has anything they feel they can add to it, please post!

And one more....

Here is the 2cnd part of my list of Sword Forms from The Wheel of Time translated to Hero System terms.

Dandelion in the Wind

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Counterstrike (+2/+2/+1)

Hit Location: 5 (-8)

Skill Levels: All to OCV

Notes: This Form must follow a successful block. Automatically aims for the throat (-8!) for X2 body and X5 stun multiplier. The hit penalty may seem severe, but remember, the +2OCV bonus from the Counterstrike maneuver (down to -6) and a well balanced blade will have a +1 OCV (longswords, Katana etc) now we're down to -5. A few skill levels will bring this down to something reasonable. Use this against scrubbs, not experienced opponents.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Martial Dodge (+0/+5/-)

Skill Levels: To DCV

Notes: Lean back to avoid an attack.

The Falcon Stoops

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Basic Strike (+1/+0/+1)

Hit Location: 2D6+1 (-2)

Skill Levels: split OCV/DCV

Notes: Reverse-grip diagonal slash from High to low.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Flying Dodge (+0/+4/-)

Skill Levels: DCV

Notes: Used when faced with 2 attackers. This requires a skill vs skill contest. Sleight of hand vs Perception. If the PC using this maneuver beats the opponents perception, they fool them into thinking they are going to be engaged, and makes them commit to movement in the wrong direction. The PC will then move to face the other opponent, singling them out. (If this is succesful the "fooled" opponent looses the chance to attack this phase and must use enough movement to re-engage next phase)

The Falling Leaf

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Offensive Strike (-2/+1/+2)

Skill Levels: +1DC(2) Rest to OCV

Notes: A "double" slash attack. Passes across the body twice.

((Defense)):

Notes: A crouching Dodge. Avoids high attacks.

Folding the Fan

A sword sheathing technique. Requires a Fast Draw roll at -2 to perform correctly. On a critical failure a character will impale themself. Do basic weapon damage to location 12 (ouch!) On a critical success it adds 2D6 to Presence attacks to impress. If this is successful, it is a 0-phase action to sheath the weapon (which usualy takes a half phase to do safely).

The Grapevine Twines

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Sacrifice Disarm (+2/-2/+10STR)

Notes: Used to disarm an opponent after a weapon bind is initiated.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Martial Disarm (-1/+1/+10STR)

Hit Loction: N/A

Skill Levels: Split OCV/DCV (DCV priority)

Notes: This is the defensive version. This is used if one is the defender in a weapon bind. Once the bind is broken, use this to disarm your opponent, but remain defensive in case the disarm is unsuccessful.

Heron Spreads its Wings

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Sacrifice Strike (+1/-2/+2)

Skill Levels: split OCV/DC (Priority, DC)

Notes: Leaves attacker open to attack. Be careful. Powerful attack however.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Defensive Block (+1/+3/-)

Skill Levels: split OCV/DCV (priority, DCV)

Notes: Used vs 2 or more opponents. Block 1 opponent, dodge the others (high dcv)

Heron Wading in the Rushes

((Attack)):

Maneuver: Sacrifice Strike (+1/-2/+2)

Skill Levels: all to DCV

Notes: Attacker gives initiative to the opponent. Push Strength to maximize damage. Considered suicide in a fight against skilled opponents. The advantage of this maneuver is if your opponent is dedicated to attacking (has already moved) they can mount no defense...neither parry or dodge is an option, and must take this blow as it is delivered. Skilled opponents can do considerable damage with this maneuver, provided their opponents attack does not kill them outright before they can deliver the fatal blow.

((Defense)):

Notes: Keeping opponent at sword range...use half move to move away from opponent.

Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose

((Attack)):

Hit Location: 10 (-3)

Skill Levels: OCV/DCV

Notes: A quick thrust to the opponents chest. A balanced maneuver. A true Blademaster may want to turn this maneuver into an Autofire attack to simulate the ability to do quick, multiple thrusts in succession.

((Defense)):

Notes: Dodge by pivoting and stepping into your opponents guard.

Kingfisher Takes a Silverback

((Attack))

Maneuver: Ballestra (+2/-2/+2)

Hit Location: 1D6+3 (-4)

Skill Levels: Split OCV/DCV (priority, OCV)

Notes: Half move required. Drop to one knee and high-thrust, follow through and past opponent, and pivot to guard stance.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Defensive Block (+1/+3/-)

Skill Levels: +1OCV rest to DCV

Note: Requires an Acrobatics roll. Acrobatic bonus is used for DCV. Tuck and roll past opponent. Blade is then used to block an overhead strike (if forthcomming)

Kissing the Adder

((Attack)):

Hit Location: 10 (-3)

Skill Levels: +1 to OCV. Rest to DC

Notes: An attempt to stab the heart (thus the reason for skill levels to DC) On a Disabling wound, it can be assumed that the Heart is pierced and death is iminent.

((Defense)):

Maneuver: Flying Dodge (+0/+4/-)

Notes: Requires an acrobatics roll. Add acrobatics bonus to DCV. Full move away from opponents to gain distance.

Leopard in High Grass

An improved version of Cat Crosses the Courtyard. A walking stance used when enemies are on all side. Requires Combat Sense (used to negate suprise attacks from the rear). DCV is full (as with Cat)

and the Swordsman has +2 to Perception to detect attackers. (this counts toward Combat sense also)

Requires: Combat Sense. Defense Maneuver. Minimum 4 skill levels with their Sword Arts.

More to come.....

Yes, there is still quite a few manuevers left to write up....we're only down to "M". It goes to "W"

NSG

There you go... that's all that I had.

Enjoy,

Steve

... brain ticking over slowly ...

I seem to remember a few posts after this once Fred was out, detailing ideas for using multiple manuever sweeps to perform some of the forms. (ie. for the ones that suggest AF, reserving that for a real master and letting everyone else perform it as a sweep - and maybe letting real masters sweep the AF attack, although that's more Exalted than Wheel of Time).

Michael

What I have been wanting to do is consolidating all the ideas in those previous posts into one (lengthy) document and seeing how it looks. I know that I have changed my opinion, somewhat, on how Channeling should work.

I really need to look over the rules constructs, as written, and see if and how they could be improved in the 5th Edition.

Does anybody here know of a source, online or in print, that defines which of the Five powers are involved in particular Weaves?

• 4 months later...

I'm currently adapting WoT to the Hero system for a game with my friend and I. Mostly I'm doing it to learn the Hero system better.

I'll post more info on what I come up with when I've got more done and such, but I was wondering if a more experienced hero system guru and WoT fan out there would be interested in posting their idea of a Trolloc build? With the idea in mind of PC's built in about 175 total points?

Thanks =)