Telekinetic Martial Arts.

Tim

Re: Telekinetic Martial Arts.

As a general concept question, Can you use Mas with TK?

I can see certain manuvers (like throws) not being usable. But I'm talking in general.

I would rule that you would have to use ranged martial maneuvers, which are less valuable in general than regular maneuvers.

I would rule that you would have to use ranged martial maneuvers' date=' which are less valuable in general than regular maneuvers.[/quote']

Oh, I don't know. After all, TK is the power for STR at range. I'm not sure what I would rule...it will take some further thought. At this point I'm about split 50/50.

I agree with CrosshairCollie. I see no reason why one shouldn't be allowed to buy Martial Arts manuevers for one's TK, but they should be bought for one's TK only, and not usuable with one's regular strength.

I can easily see someone who can generate a "phantom hand" applying a Nerve Strike, or someone with Magnetokinesis (TK only vrs ferrous metals) purchasing Martial Disarm and Crush with their TK, but I think both for game balance and conceptual integrity, those manuevers should only be usuable with TK attacks. Fighting with a phantom hand from a distance is an entirely different skill set than fighting up close and personal with your real hands, and there's almost no similiarity between hyper-magnetizing someone's gun so that it slams into the nearest metal object and tearing it out of their hand with your own hand.

I believe that there are guidelines in the Hero System rulebook (covering the TK power) that mention that any manuevers beyond the default 1 or 2 that you can use with TK should be purchased separately.

Gah - I sold my original 5th Edition Rulebook and without it (or the new 5th Edition book that I'm waiting for) I'm helpless. Helpless!

*whimper*

I'd have to say no. My reasoning is that TK is essentially STR with the Ranged advantage. To use (non-ranged) Martial Arts maneuvers at ranged, you'd have to purchase a Ranged naked advantage per the guidelines in UMA.

Hence, I'd allow TK martial arts if the character paid the cost of the appropriate Ranged naked advantage for his maneuvers.

As a general concept question, Can you use Mas with TK?

I can see certain manuvers (like throws) not being usable. But I'm talking in general.

Most certainly you can... throws and all... I would just be careful, because a smart player can make this combo really REALLY effective.

If we labled combos of powers with either the Stop Sign or the Magnifying Glass, this would be a Mag Glass combo for me. Certainly doable, but keep an eye on it because it gets you extra damage at range, without paying the range cost on the maneuvers. Just the 1pt Weapon element, and you are good to go.

I built a character two-ways once, trying to figure out how to emulate something like this. The character was Shadowboxer, whose own shadow could stretch across the room and punch people while he mimicked the motion where he stood.

First way was an EC with TK (for simulating throws), EB (for punches and kicks), and an Entangle with ongoing END cost to simulate holds.

Second way was Stretching and Martial Arts with the shadow special effect (not his actual limbs stretching but the shadow's).

At that time I didn't see a neat clean way to apply Martial Arts directly to TK, though I could probably come up with something these days.

The reason I'm asking.

A character I'm trying to create was born without arms. Instead he can generate "arms" made of telekinetic force. All his Telekinetic powers are part of an MP. 3 of the slots are:

Arms: 20 str TK, Fine Manip, 0 End, No rng (ultra slot)

Distant Hands: 20 str TK, Fine Manip, 1/2 end (ultra slot)

Heavy Lifting: 40 str TK (flex)

So if I understand correctly, (I looked up p.147) I need to buy regular manuvers for 3 points each, and then buy martial manuvers as ranged MAs.

Tim, it may seem "cheap" but why not just buy extra limbs with invisible power effects?

Back to the subject though... I wouldn't object too hard to MA's used with TK, but I'd make you buy Fine Manip for all TK. (I doubt you'd get the No Range mods though) Martial Arts are not just about the use of force, they also require the correct and precise use of force.

Tim, it may seem "cheap" but why not just buy extra limbs with invisible power effects?

Back to the subject though... I wouldn't object too hard to MA's used with TK, but I'd make you buy Fine Manip for all TK. (I doubt you'd get the No Range mods though) Martial Arts are not just about the use of force, they also require the correct and precise use of force.

Fine manipulation is covered in the rules as well.

I see know reason that one couldn't have "martial arts'with T K. I suppose it depends on how you do it. Certainly a character such as D C's "Superboy"or the Brazilian character I created ("La Carioca")who have a type of TK where they actually need to touch objects or people to lift them could have martial arts in addition to their TK ! It can make for an interesting type of "Brick"who has super strength, but not a particularly super punch ! Someone with "tactile T K"combined with judo or aikido could be pretty formidable in a fight, when they throw you you REALLY go flying !