How to handle page number citations on 5ER

Michael Hopcroft

I've placed my order for Fifth Edition Revised (I imagine we will never be calling this book FRED) and something just occured to me.

The rules themselves may not have changed, but the layotu of the book probably will. Page number referecnes from the frist printings of Fiofth edition will probably not work with Revised even when citing the same rule.

What is the best form of etiquette to use when making a page number reference if you're pointing to a specific rule if you only have one of the books but want your point to be instantly understandable to users of both books?

Guest bblackmoor

Re: How to handle page number citations on 5ER

I've placed my order for Fifth Edition Revised (I imagine we will never be calling this book FRED)

Thank god for small favors.

The rules themselves may not have changed' date=' but the layotu of the book probably will. Page number referecnes from the frist printings of Fiofth edition will probably not work with Revised even when citing the same rule.[/quote']

First, don't simply refer to a page number. Refer to the chapter and section (that's a good idea now). Then add the page number on whichever edition of the book you are using. I'm sure that Steve will have had the foresight to actually give the next edition of the game a revision number, so it would be something like "H5, p.234" for the current rules or "H5.1, p.235" for version 5.1.

Our Julie is between 17 and 25 (depending on the game) and isn't ALWAYS named Julie (and is sometimes a halfling), but she is always the same person.

She is cute, but not too bright, likes pretty things, hates bugs, and is quite effective as most everything that doesn't require too much thought. She likes everyone who is nice, dislikes mean people, and has almost no actual interest in romance.

Julie is the kind of character who will spend all her phases/rounds screaming in fear of the giant insect monsters, while simultaneously getting in called shots on them with her bow every phase.

Guest bblackmoor

Yeah' date=' in crayon: JULIE[/quote']

Ah, I see. You're acting mentally deficient for its entertainment value. Carry on, then. :straight:

I don't think the writer is allowed to give it a nickname, in much the same way as a person cannot choose their own nickname.

Steve gave Fred its nickname.

It definitely wasn't intentional, but Steve WAS directly responsible for "Fred".

Zeropoint

Here in the office we call it 5ER and that is more than likely how we will reference it on a going forward basis.

What if we're going backward?

Seriously, haven't any of you written a research report for school? You should have learned how to make references to passages in books.

Just because you got your diploma doesn't mean you can forget everything you learned to get it. And that goes for the 6th grade arithmetic you need to make HERO characters too. :whip:

What if we're going backward?

Seriously, haven't any of you written a research report for school? You should have learned how to make references to passages in books.

Just because you got your diploma doesn't mean you can forget everything you learned to get it. And that goes for the 6th grade arithmetic you need to make HERO characters too. :whip:

So...you are suggesting that ALL the books need nicknames. Cool!