A stunning attack

Sean Waters

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A stunning attack

Hey Lemming;

I think your best bet here is to use a Stun Suppress. If enough Stun is done to "Stun" the target, they're stunned. Heck, if enough is done to K.O. them, they are "Hyper-stunned" and can do nothing (simply one SFX of being K.O.ed). Only lasts one phase, then the stun returns to full. If the character wishes to be able to maintain the effect, he can do so as normal, but normal stun only lasts one phase. Hyper-stun however lasts as long as its maintained.

Hey Lemming;

I think your best bet here is to use a Stun Suppress. If enough Stun is done to "Stun" the target, they're stunned. Heck, if enough is done to K.O. them, they are "Hyper-stunned" and can do nothing (simply one SFX of being K.O.ed). Only lasts one phase, then the stun returns to full. If the character wishes to be able to maintain the effect, he can do so as normal, but normal stun only lasts one phase. Hyper-stun however lasts as long as its maintained.

Appropos of not much, that seems like a pretty good way to stat up a Zat gun from Stargate.

Hey Lemming;

Hyper-stun...

I like the sound of that. :cool:

Its also metagaming' date=' rules for the sake of rules.[/quote']

Not necessarily, if the concept is "I limit the target's ability to sustain any damage, making him very weak" which I interpret as some reduction in STUN and/or CON.

I'm more or less with Hugh's post early in this thread. I would probably allow (depending on SFX) Dispel STUN or similar. However, even a STUN Drain I would say simply sets up the character to be knocked out or such, that a reduction to 0 or less in the target's STUN does NOT knock out the character. Instead, the character can't take even the feeblest hit as this new STUN is his base.

PS - regardless of the FAQ (thanks Hyper-man!)

Re: Metagaming

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. Why not use a mind control' date=' visible, and whatever other limitations you want to add to create the effect?[/quote']

The problem with MC is that different people at different times in different situations are going to have different attitudes to being stunned, by which I mean dropping to 1/2 DCV, dropping your defences and taking no actions. The effect is therefore going to be more difficult to adjudicate with MC, but it is a possibility.

Metagaming

Metagaming: sometimes there is no other way, or no way at all.

Take the power to remove oxygen from the air. Hang on, you say, they tell you how to do that in FRED. Yes. Drains, mainly. Should be supresses, IMO, but hey...

The trouble with drains is that it will not effect everyone equally (some people have higher REC than others), is resisted by PowDef, so you'll need to make it NND, and it is a surprisingly difficult effect to build in such a way that it effects everyone in the same way as sticking there head in a bucket of water would. It will also be a very expensive power for relatively little effect.

Why not make someone pay quite a lot for change environment and then simply say the drowning rules click in. 20 or 30 points sounds about right. It is using a game mechanic to simulate an effect so it is going behind the scenery, but it makes perfect sense to do so and is game balanced.

Where is the problem?

Metagaming: sometimes there is no other way' date=' or no way at all.[/quote']

Funny that it's metagaming to want a power that stuns an opponent without inflicting damage, but not to want a power that inflicts damage which gradually knocks someone out [which is an EB no STUN], an attack which virtually always hits unless the target dodges [AE 1 hex Accurate with levels] or an attack which overrides a target's defenses but is ineffectual in som,e circumstances [an NND}.

It's only perceived as metagaming because we don't have a "Stun Target" power.

Funny that it's metagaming to want a power that stuns an opponent without inflicting damage' date=' but not to want a power that inflicts damage which gradually knocks someone out [which is an EB no STUN'], an attack which virtually always hits unless the target dodges [AE 1 hex Accurate with levels] or an attack which overrides a target's defenses but is ineffectual in som,e circumstances [an NND}.

It's only perceived as metagaming because we don't have a "Stun Target" power.

Well, quite. I'm a little hazy on exactly what metagaming is when it comes to examples that are not necessarily obvious. I have no problem with metagaming, personally - so long as the application is not going to spoil a game. I'd be happy to have an 'only to stun' advantage/limitation or a new power and I'd be happy to have a change environment that employs the drowning mechanic. If there is a need that is not being fulfilled by existing build mechanics, looks to me like we need new powers.

'Stun target' and 'Suffocate' sound like a good place to start.

Guest WhammeWhamme

The problem with MC is that different people at different times in different situations are going to have different attitudes to being stunned' date=' by which I mean dropping to 1/2 DCV, dropping your defences and taking no actions. The effect is therefore going to be more difficult to adjudicate with MC, but it is a possibility.[/quote']

Ooh.. I got it!

[2.5x] xd6 Mental Illusions: Imagine this Attack just Stunned you (Only) (-1/2), Based On CON (-1/2)

(blah blah CON/Power Defense okay blah blah)