The World of Edean

Enforcer84

Re: The World of Edean

My rep to you, super source of inspiration. Do we have to wait for the GM-part to see Campaign Guidelines... house rules to make hero more anime-videogame like?

One of my questions is would you use Hit-Locations in such a game? At the moment I'm doing a write-up of a Goo-type monster for playtesting purpose, will try it today with a player that is totaly new to hero...

The write-ups for the races are super, damn I'm a big fan of the BoF series... can anyone here remember the different colours of Goo and the elemental-attacks

I can only remember

Blue=cold

Red=fire

Green=physical?

Orange=?

Red=?

Gold=?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rep to you, super source of inspiration. Do we have to wait for the GM-part to see Campaign Guidelines... house rules to make hero more anime-videogame like?

One of my questions is would you use Hit-Locations in such a game? At the moment I'm doing a write-up of a Goo-type monster for playtesting purpose, will try it today with a player that is totaly new to hero...

The write-ups for the races are super, damn I'm a big fan of the BoF series... can anyone here remember the different colours of Goo and the elemental-attacks

I can only remember

Blue=cold

Red=fire

Green=physical?

Orange=?

Red=?

Gold=?

Hit locations probably would be fine, but they don't really fit the consol game type. I plan on introducing a few House Rules, mostly options, such as the "Learn" option from BOF 3&4, basically allowing a character to learn an opponent's Skill if they are willing to a) Take the attack without trying to stop it and B) spend 1 Character point to have an 8- roll to do so. It could potentially disrupt games though.

I also want to fiddle with:

Masters (also from BOF 3&4)

Castle Building (Suikoden, BOF)

Tactical Mass Combat (Suikoden)

Limit Breaks (FF, Grandia, many games)

"Job" Classes (FF, Dragon Quest/Warrior)

Monster Raising

As well as:

Bloodlines (D&D)

The Elemental Tree (Seven or nine "Elements" (Fire, Cold, Water, Stone, Wind, Thunder, Light, Dark, Life(trees))

But I'll be posting them later. I want to get the las two or three races done and belive me the Dragon Bloodlines are going to take a while, then work on some specific Profession Packages (Tinker, Strategist already being posted once but will be posted again)

Hope there's something you like in there!

As to the goos. I always thought it was

Green - base model Physical attacks only

Red - Fire Goo. Could use a FIRE spell

Blue - Mage Goo, uses LIGHTING and FIRE spells, has some intelligence

Orange - "Earth" Goo, attacks with EARTHQUAKE

Silver - Metallic Goo, very nervous (Prone to running) but very very hard to hurt and worth many xp if you can defeat them

King Goo - Large, lots of HP casts magic, summons other goos.

Boveen

The Boveen, or The Lost, as they refer to themselves; are a race akin to Minotaurs. However, they bear a greater resemblance to Oxen and Bison, than Cattle. Why they refer to themselves as “The Lost†is actually something of a mystery to the other races of Edean.

The Boveen are among the finest craftsmen in the world and their weapons and armor routinely sell at significantly higher values than others. Artists, craftsmen, and next to the Al-Seraph, the most innately magical people on the great continent; the Boveen find their services constantly sought after. They can be seen in almost every kingdom. This doesn’t even take into account their huge, muscular frames and skill with the weapons they create. A typical Boveen is between 6’6’’ and 8’ tall and weighs between 400 and 500 lbs. Females being a bit more slender and “feminineâ€.

There are three main Boveen territories: The Skyscrape Mountains, the Plains of Derath, and White-forge Valley. The three territories are ruled by monarchs, who are backed by a council of clan leaders. The three Kings also meet once a year to discuss business and gossip.

Boveen Attributes:

5 Strong: +5 STR; 1 END

10 Hardy: +5 CON

2 Big: +1 BODY

2 Large and in Charge: Knockback Resistance -1"

6 Gifted Craftsmen: +2 with any three Craft/Art Related Skills

10 Horns: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR); 1 END

The Boveen have developed a martial arts style that suits their powerful frames, horned heads, and cautious natures. They don’t really have a name for it, but in the last century or so, since martial arts tournaments have become more and more popular, they have taken steps to standardize and ritualize it. Most people simply call it Boveen Boxing, but the Lost simply call it Warfare. Since the Boveen consider themselves artists, each practitioner adds and subtracts stances, maneuvers, and weapons elements at their leisure to personalize it. This explains the vast number of options on the art. This also makes the art less recognizable. A practitioner cannot take the “Style Limitation†disadvantage.

Warcraft (Boveen Boxing)

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

5 Bone Breaker: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, Grab One Limb; HKA 1d6 +1 / HKA 0 1/2d6 , Disable

4 Bullrush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -2 DCV, 4d6 / 2d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove

4 Crush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 6d6 / 4d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

4 Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 20 STR / 10 STR to Disarm

4 Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR / 15 STR vs. Grabs

4 Head Butt: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 4d6 / 2d6 Strike

3 Hold: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 20 STR / 10 STR for holding on

4 Joint Lock/Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 1d6 NND ; Target Falls

5 Mule Kick/Axe Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 / 4d6 Strike

4 Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 NND

4 Punch/Backhand: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 / 2d6 Strike

4 Return Fire: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 / 2d6 Strike, Must Follow Block

4 Root: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 25 STR / 15 STR to resist Shove; Block, Abort

5 Roundhouse/Lunging Kick: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, 6d6 / 4d6 Strike

5 Shoulder Block: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 2d6 / 0d6 +v/5; Target Falls; FMove

3 Skyborne Crash: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, 2d6 / 0d6 +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove

1 Weapon Element: Axes, Maces, Hammers, and Picks

1 Weapon Element: Chain & Rope Weapons

1 Weapon Element: Clubs

0 Weapon Element: Empty Hand

1 Weapon Element: Polearms and Spears

1 Weapon Element: Staffs

3 Analyze: Style 11-

3 Breakfall 11-

1 KS: Rune Magic 8-

2 KS: Warcraft Style 11-

2 Language: Boveen (fluent conversation)

4 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Temperate/Subtropical) 11-

Special Maneuvers:

There are many maneuvers associated with Warcraft, these presented are only the most common.

Agorlrand's Thundering Step: EB 7d6, Only Does Knockdown, Not Knockback (+0), Side Effects (may cause considerable damage to the environment; +0), Hole In The Middle (fixed size; +1/4), Explosion (-1 DC/2"; +3/4) (70 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Only Affects Targets On The Ground (-1/4)

Notes: This maneuver creates a localized tremor where the warrior stomps his foot. It is good for knocking opponents to their feet.

Elemental Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Must be one of the Ten Elements of Edean (Air, Cold, Darkness, Fire, Life, Light, Stone, Thunder, Water, Wind; +1/4) (25 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Requires A Martial Arts Tricks Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)

Notes: The Warrior aligns his inner spirit with one of the Ten Elements that holds the world together. A wearer may substitute an Elemental Magic Roll for the Martial Arts Tricks Roll.

Goryen's Rage: Aid Strength 4d6 (40 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Acts as if 'Enraged' Recovers after 4 turns; -1/2), Loses benefits after 4 turns (-1/4)

Notes: The Warrior summons his inner strength, focusing his anger and adrenaline and giving himself tremendous strength for a limited time. Unfortunately it makes him less thoughtful in combat and more likely to simply throw himself at his target with abandon.

Mountain Stance: Density Increase (800 kg mass, +15 STR, +3 PD/ED, -3" KB) (15 Active Points); User must remain rooted to the ground (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

Notes: Using this ability, the warrior vastly increases his strength and durability, while making him nearly impossible to move. Unfortunately, he himself cannot move either.

Rune of Iron: Damage Resistance (8 PD) (4 Active Points); Does not work against firearms (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

Notes: This is only marginally a "martial arts" secret. The Boveen have mastered Rune Smithing. The Rune for protection can be tattooed on an individual granting them the ability to harden their flesh against killing attacks. The bearer of the Rune must sacrifice a bit of vitality to maintain the rune.

The Shu

Shu

The Shu, a race of monkey-like men, are native to the north east part of the main continent of Edean. The Shu range in size from 4’6’’ to 6’ tall and 90 to 200 lbs. Females and Males have an equal chance to find these ranges. This leads to a varied group of people. Their coloring ranges from black and dark brown, to reds, yellows, even blue and green Shu have been seen. Though their features greatly resemble apes, and monkeys, they have more in common with humans than one would expect.

The Shu have a long cultural history of martial prowess. They are considered amongst the finest soldiers, spies, war priests, wizards, and martial artists in the world. For all of their prowess, their empire is struggling to rebuild following several generations of decline.

The Shu were involved in a great war centuries ago with the Republic of Parn, as allies of the Holy Myran Empire. Their Myran “allies†used the Shu’s locality to the Parn Republic as an excuse to keep the Shu on the front lines. During a decisive battle on the boarder between the Shu Kingdom and Parn, the Myrans attempted to assassinate the Shu royal family and take the entire country for themselves. It might have been worse if not for General Sten Hargrove, the general, a cousin of the king and paramour of his eldest daughter Yvette, recognized one of the mercenary assassins hired by the Myrans, he and his elite guard managed to protect the royal family though they were slain almost to a man, including General Hargrove. After that, the Shu found themselves fighting a war on both sides, it wasn’t until the Kingdom of Argund and Draconic Empire backed them that they were able to keep from losing any more of their land.

Thanks to the “Treaty at Phyrosâ€, the Kingdom of the Shu is still independent. However, for decades, their only real source of income was the hiring out of their armies as mercenaries. It has only recently begun to change.

Attribute Bonuses:

12 Agile: +4 DEX

3 Clever: +2 INT

6 Prehensile Tail/Feet: Extra Limbs (3) (inherent +1/4)

2 Forest People: Environmental Movement (Treetops)

2 Strong Athletes: +2†Leaping

2 Fast Athletes: +1†Running

Martial Arts:

The Shu are the default “Oriental†race in the world of Edean. They are ruled by a King, but their trappings, artistic endeavors, and appearance greatly resembles that of a romanticized feudal Japan with dashes of other Asian cultures (notably Chinese, and Korean) cultures thrown in. With this in mind, they have developed martial arts that greatly resemble the real world styles of Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Taijutsu, Jujutsu, Kenjutsu, etc. using any real world style from The Ultimate Martial Artist and special maneuvers from Ninja Hero or the Yeng Tao Maneuvers from Champions Universe should be plenty.

Notes: It might seem like laziness on my part, but as I come up with more ideas for powers I'll post them...

Re: The Shu

I am almost done with the Major Races of Edean (The Player Ones). Save for the most diverse and powerful, the People. Known by the rest of the world as the Dragon Clans, they are potent, the starting package seems to be about 60 pts... we'll see.

But I am a bit bored with the races. I'll post them tomorrow.

I'm going to repost my Strategist, and Tinker classes here, as well as a few more that I have thought of.

See you soon.

Strategist

Strategist

The Strategist is a career path that gained notariety in the Suikoden game series. In the world of Suikoden, military strategists gain tremendous influence and notariety, schools dedicated to the craft exist. In the world of Edean, politics has as much to do with warfare as steel. The Strategists take this into accounts. These men and women are more advisors to generals than warrirors. They can learn to fight if need be (not much fun as an adventurer if you can't. Mass combat is where they shine. If you plan on any mass combat in your campaign, this would be a good job class to include.

Strategist

Cost Skill

3 Analyze: Combat 11-

4 KS: Military Strategy 12-

3 KS: Military Insignea & Colors 11-

3 KS: Military World 11-

3 PS: Strategist 11-

3 Tactics 11-

9 Choose 9pts worth of the Following

0 1) Bribery 11-

0 2) Bureaucratics 11-

0 3) Conversation 11-

0 4) Cryptography 11-

0 5) Deduction 11-

0 6) High Society 11-

0 7) Interrogation 11-

0 8) Oratory 11-

0 9) Persuasion 11-

0 10) Seduction 11-

0 11) KS: Choice 11-

0 12) AK: Choice 12-

0 13) Language: Afrikaans (Completely Fluent, w/Accent)

0 14) WF

Skills Cost: 28

Total Character Cost: 28

Pts. Disadvantage

5 Optional: Rivalry: Professional (Other Strategists; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Disadvantage Points: 5

Optional Abilities:

Master of Strategy (OPTIONAL)

Strategists should be key players in your' mass combat systems. If you use them they should provide bonuses to your armies. Any round in which a Strategist has an acting phase he can make a PS: Strategist Roll (Allowing Tactics as a complementary skill) For every 1 pt they make the roll by, their units, until their next phase, get +1 to either OCV, DCV, DMG, or DEF, as chosen by the Strategist himself. Additionally, for every 3pts they make the roll by, they can increase their units' movement by 1.

Haven't visited Edean in a while. Thought I'd discuss one of the "Optional Rules"

New Characteristics:

These are optional characteristics that are appropriate for Consol Style Campaigns and more traditional HERO options as well:

MANA

The Mana Attribute is akin to Spell Points, Magic Points, or what have you.

Mana is similar to END in function. It serves as the basis for Magical Spells, Special Maneuvers, Psionics, etc. This is present in almost every consol RPG.

For the purpose of Edean, this would function similar to END. The Base MANA score is ((INT/5) + (EGO))*2; it costs 1 CP for 2pts MANA. It uses REC score to recover. Alternately you can say it simpy recovers after 8 hours rest.

Alternately you can simply use an END Reserve. Give the REC a limitation so that it does not simply recover as the time passes and voila! This is more expensive of course since you get none free like you would with a new attribute but it does keep the number of Attributes to the managable 14.

MagDef

This is a defense, much like PD & ED, save that it only effect magic. It is used instead of PD & ED in these cases. Sword? PD, Magic Sword? MagDef. See? Struck by Lightning? ED, struck by lightning bolt? MagDef.

This is a relatively complicated attribute, to tell the truth. Base score (INT/5)+(EGO/5); costs 1pt per 1pt. It's considered non-resistant. But needs to be bought resistant...so add another 1pt per 2 points of MagDef. Guh. This is for the hardcore simulator.

Magic Defense, the HERO way.

Armor +xrPD +xrED, ony vs Magic. This is again a bit more expensive (depending on the amount ofcourse) but it works a little better. Sadly, It stacks with normal defenses when dealing with Magic Attacks, but it's easier to deal with. GM needs to arbitrate whether natural attacks by magical or supernatural creatures, or "Breath weapons" and similar special attacks count as "Magic" or not.

Optional Modifiers

Here are a few Optional Modifiers I have been playing around with. These are mostly "Flavour" items. These are either +0 Modifiers. or 0 Pt disads...or both.

Supernatural Being This modifier can be applied to STR or BOD and allows the character to bypass defenses that don't work vs magic or supernatural creatures.

example: In Edean, Vampires have Armor AND DR that doesn't work vs Magic attacks or supernatural creatures. Congrat's you are one! However by taking this you also have to deal with defenses, attacks, and effects secifically keyed to Supernatural. Circles against Supernatural creatures, God Slaying swords, etc.

Bloodlines Very similar to the Supernatural being, is Bloodlines. This is more of a D&D style thing than a Consol Thing. But Consol games often include weapons and armor only worn by certain beings, genders, etc.

If a character takes a +0 Bloodline modifier on their BODY; they are considered to have that racial bloodline.

example: Giant Bloodline, you can weild "Giant" Weapons (weapons that have abilities that only work when weilded by Giants) and devices. Unfortunately you also take more damage or effect on Giant Targeted spells and items. Simple See?

I thought of making these perks...5 pts for being supernatural or having a specific bloodline, but I think the pros and cons are fairly balanced... what do you all think?

I don't know if they're balanced. Would I be allowed to build Maurr targeting spells? If so, you're charging me for the benefits, but I'm not being reimbursed for the fact I can be targeted as a Maurr. If I have Giant-blood, unless Giants are unusually persecuted, I think I should have to pay for the ability to weird giant-stuff.

Maybe.

That's why I decided on the +0 Modifier.

Because building an attack that affected Only Muarr would be cheaper, even Extra Damage only vs Maurr is going to be more cost effective. Personally I think the benefit and the disadvantages balance out. It's more of a "Special Effect" that has tangeble benefits and limitations.

The Pantheon of Edean

This is my pantheon for Edean. It's convoluted and unnecessarily large. Just like I like them. :D

And then there were two.

The Holy cosmology of the world of Edean comes in three eras. Each era lasting millennia; they represent the changing of the guard pantheons that have held sway over the peoples of Edean.

The first pantheon to command worship of the people of Edean was the Ancient Ones. These completely selfish entities lorded over the earliest civilizations of man. They created the first offshoot races (according to the Yggrdsil, they themselves and the Brin were the other races created at this time). The Ancient Ones chose their priests from those easily bought with riches and power. They treated the peoples of Edean as slaves, pets, and occasionally livestock.

Eventually, several powerful men and women arose from the common chattel. Where they came from and how they gained such power in a short time is unknown; historians have opined that it might have been Edean herself, attempting to protect her peoples. These heroes were led by Baram. Baram, a warrior mage of exceeding strength led the peoples against their alien masters. When they had freed their peoples, the heroes were looked upon as leaders and guides. They continued to grow in power and were eventually looked upon as divine in their own right.

Baram and his followers found themselves seemingly immortal and possessing of great powers. They had risen to godhood themselves. The Baramic Pantheon was a more noble, less domineering pantheon. Churches had varying amounts of power in the young civilizations. Baram’s chosen priests were powerful sorcerers. It is during this time that the other races were born. Baram grew uneasy as the millennia wore on. His pantheon, which had slowly grown since its inception, was beginning to grow faster. Divine beings from each of the races appeared and began to attract followers of their own. Baram and his original allies decided to take rather drastic measures. They began to imprison their younger “cousins†in a dimensional prison. One of his most loyal followers, the God of Guardians, Gulzor, was chosen to be responsible for maintaining the gate. Over the centuries he became known as Gulzor the Jailor.

Baram had erred however. Gulzor, while loyal, had disagreed with his king over the treatment of the younger gods. He took pity on his charges and tried to make their lives as comfortable as possible.

The imprisoned godlings studied their prison. They grew slowly in power as their most loyal followers worshiped in secret, wishing to avoid the wrath of the “established†churches. Eventually, they decided to escape and dethrone the Baramic Pantheon as Baram and his followers had disposed of the Ancient Ones.

Precious little that happened in the prison dimension escaped the notice of Gulzor the Jailor. However, he had grown increasingly philosophical, over the millennia and felt that the Baramic Pantheon was no longer truly representative of the peoples of Edean. Seeing these young gods as the further evolution of Edean’s Divinity, he simply deactivated the gate and calmly stepped aside as they made their way to claim the heavenly kingdom for themselves.

This third generation of deities was led by Althor. The struggle between the two generations of divine beings set fire to the heavens and their followers on Edean followed suit. At first the Baramic Pantheon held fast. They were older, individually more powerful, and had far more followers. The new gods however, were united in a way their forefathers were not. Aside from Gulzor, other members of the Baramic Pantheon were uninterested in the war. They sought to take over themselves after the two main sides had exhausted themselves. Most notable among these were the Goddesses Gylacia (Lady of Winters) and Ferona (The Wild Princess), and Maranthor, the Lord of Iron.

Gylacia stayed in her arctic keep at the peak of the tallest mountain of Heaven, Ferona simply disappeared into the wilds of Edean’s lesser continents, and Maranthor, the lord of technology, who had turned his church into a theocratic monarchy and powerful (if secluded) nation in it’s own right; traveled to his Kingdom of Karsus and waited for the confrontation.

The great continent of Edean was being shattered during the Gods War. The great nations were beginning to buckle under the strain of such a long, drawn out war. The rebellious peoples were slowly starting to gain ground. Seeing that things were getting “out of hand†two of the Baramic Pantheon sought to end the war quickly. Brae, the Light Goddess and her brother, the former Jailor, Gulzor, secretly met with Althor and his most trusted followers. The two older deities told Althor of the Ritual of Kazz, it was Baram’s great secret and his “super weapon†against them. According to the information they had divined about the Ritual, it would increase the power of Baram’s followers two fold.

Althor and his followers decided to attempt to disrupt the Ritual. However, unknown to them (and Gulzor), Brae had betrayed them. The Ritual was not for increasing Baram’s power it actually functioned to split Althor and his followers into two sets of diametrically opposed beings. Baram theorized that the “Evil†versions of Althor and his followers would either immediately attack their “Good†sides or they would abandon them, diminished in power to Baram’s mercy.

What happened was obviously not what Baram had planned. The Ritual seemed flawless. The affected Godlings were split into yin-yang versions of themselves and almost immediately began fighting each other. However, they did not, as Baram had assumed, been reduced in power. They were two sets of identically powered Gods. He and his followers noticed this far too late. Shortly after the fighting began, Althor and his double (who had proclaimed himself Hyrod, the Tyrant), agreed that their efforts would be better spent trying to defeat the Baramic Pantheon instead of each other.

The final battle was joined. The Old Kingdoms fell. The Baramic Pantheon was destroyed. Althor and Hyrod gave their defeated predecessors a choice, death or exile. Baram and his followers chose the latter and, save for Gulzor, were allowed to use their waning powers to open a gate to the Prison Dimension. Gulzor closed it. He “retired†to a small island in the Heavens.

Their chief enemies gone, Althor and Hyrod once again regarded each other. Deciding that enough damage had been done, they agreed to coexist peacefully for ten thousand years. This truce has been in place ever since.

The Twin Pantheon was born.

Althor: The King

Althor appears as a good king should. He is youthful, but wise, his hair just starting to gray. He appears, most often clad in golden armor with a white tabbard.

His symbol is a gold crown surrounding the sun. He is often depicted weilding "Gangrosh" A spear with a piece of the sun for a tip, or "Azuul" A flaming sword with a roaring dragon for a pommel.

He rides into battel on the back of the Patriarch of the Light Dragon Clans, Ishuraan.

Hyrod the Tyrant

Hyrod is the god of Tyranny. He is all about power, but he is relatively honorable about it. Over the milennia he, like the other "created" gods, has altered his appearance from a darker image of Althor to something more his style. Hyrod appears to his followers as a flawlessly handsome young man with steel blue eyes and jet black hair. His skin is fair and he wears ornate black plate armor with a blood red cape and tabbard. His weapon is a pole axe, dubbed Tormentor that he weilds one handed and he carries a shield. His church concerns itself primarily with obtainin power and using that power. His mount is often a great winged Behemoth, known as Gun (Pronounced Goon)