Classification Systems for Superhumans

Kristopher

What, if any, classification system do you use for superhumans? What factors do you consider important when judging them against each other, or as threats? Who maintains the classifiction list in your setting?

Champions Universe presents one system, on Pg 39. The list itself is maintained by the DoD. It uses a variation on the common "Greek Letter" system -- an "Omega Class Superhuman" keeps people in power up at night.

Killer Shrike has a very detailed chart of motives and power types on his Enforcer's Inc. list (where my own Cerebellum is a Delta-class threat :) ).

Inspired by these threads:

Jane's Superhumans

Omega Girl

Enforcers Inc

Re: Classification Systems for Superhumans

The first I use is the general level I use.

2 quick definitions

Nova: person who lacks Normal Characteristic Maxima and can purchase powers without having to take the RSR limitation.

Active Point Cap: Individual non-damaging powers can exceed this, but not frameworks or any power which does damage.

Level One -- starts at 150 points plus 100 pts of disadvantages. 6 in 7 novas clock in at this power level. Active point "cap" of 60.

Level Two -- starts at 250 points plus 100 disadvantage points. About 1 in 7 novas clock in here. Active cap of 75 pts; this is the level the PC's started at

Level Three -- starts at 450 pts plus 150 disadvantage points -- but are normally around 800 pts. About 1 in 7 "Level Two" novas are really Level 3. Active cap of 90 pts.

Level Four -- starts at 1000 points, there are 19 of these in the *campaign universe* (not just the world).

Level Five -- starts at 2000 points, there are 3 of these in the campaign universe and one of them doesn't fully realize it yet. Doctor Destroyer, the Trickster (from CLOWN's origin), and the "Boy With The Power".

EDIT: Corrected a typo

24 hours, and only one response?

Man, this thread bombed.

Dude, you posted it on a weekend. This place is dead on weekends. Wait until tomorrow at least. Publius thought the Jane's Superhumans thread was dead because it had only 8 responses on Saturday and Sunday when it was started. Last time I looked it was well over 500 posts.

Despair not. It's a good topic for discussion. :)

Well, in both my games, the general world uses standard Champions U classifications.

In the Sentinels game, though, we have unofficial classifications: there are those villains individual Sentinels can handle ( most villains less powerful than Firewing or Holocaust ), those villains the whole team is needed to handle ( Gravitar, Menton, the more powerful teams ), and those villains that the whole team together will need to sweat blood to deal with ( Dr Destroyer, Takofanes ).

sub-Agent level

Agent level

Agent plus(elite agents)

sub-PC

PC level

PC plus(slightly better than the PCs)

sub-Boss level(able to take on half the team)

Boss level(able to take on a whole team of average size)

Boss plus(able to take on a slightly larger team, or team plus NPC)

Uberboss(able to take on a double-sized team)

Uberboss plus(able to take on a double-sized team, plus two NPCs)

Unstoppable threat level(unbeatable without every PC ever written up in the campaign, plus the major NPC heroes, plus a plot device or three)

That's 12 levels, so you could probably create a 12 point scale to represent threat level, with PC level being about a 5. You could also use mid-point scores for more granularity.

Are "Power Level" and "Threat Level" the same thing, or two different but related scales? Is a 300-point Mentalist with scads of Cumulative on his otherwise midling powers more dangerous than a 400 point straightforward Brick?

Do you think we'll ever see USPD's Martinez Scale explained in any detail?

The power-level system that I as a GM use to enforce game-balance isn't the same as what in-game campaign agencies use to try and evaluate powers and levels.

Most agencies would consider someone with telepathy a much bigger threat than someone with a huge strength-level. As a GM, I'd see it the other way around.

Guest Worldmaker

Here's what I have:

The United States Department of Defense divides metahumans into the following general power levels. It should be noted that these categories are not precise, and there have been several occasions where a metahuman who should be of one power level is generally considered to be a member of another power level. Usually, this mistake is made in the direction of underestimating the metahuman.

Alpha Alpha: The Alpha Alpha category is the domain of those individuals who possess truly godlike power. These individuals seem to be capable of doing nearly anything they wish to do. So far, only six Alpha Alphas have ever been recorded: Abyss, Amnesty, the Blood Red King, Quark, Walkabout, and the World.

Alpha: Alpha-level metahumans are massively powerful, but have definitive limitations on their raw power. By themselves, they can be a threat to entire teams of heroes, and they generally operate on their own.

Beta: The Beta category is the highest level of "mainstream" metahuman. Most active superheroes fall somewhere into this category.

Gamma: On a slightly lower power scale than Betas in terms of raw power, Gamma-level metahumans can nevertheless still be a threat to an Alpha, especially if they are in groups.

Delta: The Delta level metahuman is at the bottom level of the mainstream metahuman. When compared to a normal individual, a Delta-level metahuman is amazing. When compared to a Beta, they are considerably less than impressive. A team of Delta's could probably cause a single Beta a great deal of difficulty in a fight, but a platoon of Betas could take on a battalion of Deltas and win.

Epsilon: Epsilon-level metahumans sometimes have one or two useful superhuman powers, but generally they are considered jokes by the greater community of superhumans.

Zeta: A Zeta-level metahuman is as weak as you can get and still be considered superhuman. In general, a Zeta has powers that don't do anything useful at all.

The World Health Organizations recognizes three classifications of metahuman:

Class A: These metahumans cannot turn their external superhuman powers off, and thus are not always responsible for the effects of those powers. Such individuals must still take care not to be a threat to those around them.

Class B: These metahumans are in full control of their powers, including the ability to turn them off when necessary. The greater majority of all superhumans fall into this category.

Class C: These metahumans are in no control of their powers whatsoever, and not only pose a threat to those around them, but often pose a threat to themselves.

Guest bblackmoor

What' date=' if any, classification system do you use for superhumans?[/quote']

It depends on who is doing the classifying. My one character who was a scientist who specialized in superhumans usually used Dvandom' s Tesla Index idea.

In my Redwood Academy game I use these titles:

Talents: A character with minor abilities that could also result from extreme levels of training or innate talents. If they even have metahuman powers could be questionable. May still be highly dangerous in a conventional sense, but not considered prime threats/targets for accquistion. May have inhuman features, but often do not.

Specials: Closest analogy to a "conventional" superhuman. A mutant with obvious superhuman abilities. Considered highly dangerous and subject to attention and control by various factions in the game world. Often develops powers at puberty, has difficulty controlling them at first and the potential for growth and development. All the current PCs are Specials.

Exponentials:The highest level of Metahuman. Essentially an Exponential is a Special with a broad, variable and extremely potent suite of powers. Powers that make them a threat on a national or even global scale, or almost unstoppable by conventional means. As of game time only 2 Exponentials have been discovered.

In Aberrant I have:

Sparks:Low powered Novas, mainly just mega attributes and enhancements, perhaps physical modifications

Flares:Low End Novas, the weakest beings generally called "Novas".

Novas:Standard PC level characters.

Supernovas:Hign End quantum beings such as Divas Mal, Ceatus Pax, The Maker, Paragon, etc. Being capable of continent wide or global threat.

RE: Threat vs Power levels. Finally had a chance to come back to the thread.

I use a completely different system for Threat Levels. The following is shorthanded from a campaign handout I'm preparing -- "PRIMUS Threat Levels for Recruits"

THREAT LEVEL ZERO (TL0): Reserved for three classes of novas: those with "psionic" powers, especially Telepathy & Mind Control; those novas designated as global threats like Isvatha V'han and the dread Takofanes; and Dr. Destroyer. Officially we cannot order you to shoot-on-sight, as this violates certain human rights laws. Unofficially? Don't hesitate.

TL1: Refers primarily to those nova whose very existance represent a threat to others, like Radium of the Ultimates; those novas whose powers don't exactly qualify as being "psionic" but represent the same kind of threat to national security (such as a remote viewer, should one be found to exist); to specific novas with a history of active killing (like The Disruptor); and, as any field agent will tell you, to the nova threatening you right now :D

TL2: refers to those novas whose capabilities represents more of a state-level threat than a national one; more likely to refer to a group than individuals. The Ravagers (the group to which The Disruptor belongs) for example are considered TL2.

TL3: refers to novas whose interests and/or powers are more of a local threat.

RE: Threat vs Power levels. Finally had a chance to come back to the thread.

I use a completely different system for Threat Levels. The following is shorthanded from a campaign handout I'm preparing -- "PRIMUS Threat Levels for Recruits"

THREAT LEVEL ZERO (TL0): Reserved for three classes of novas: those with "psionic" powers, especially Telepathy & Mind Control; those novas designated as global threats like Isvatha V'han and the dread Takofanes; and Dr. Destroyer. Officially we cannot order you to shoot-on-sight, as this violates certain human rights laws. Unofficially? Don't hesitate.

TL1: Refers primarily to those nova whose very existance represent a threat to others, like Radium of the Ultimates; those novas whose powers don't exactly qualify as being "psionic" but represent the same kind of threat to national security (such as a remote viewer, should one be found to exist); to specific novas with a history of active killing (like The Disruptor); and, as any field agent will tell you, to the nova threatening you right now :D

TL2: refers to those novas whose capabilities represents more of a state-level threat than a national one; more likely to refer to a group than individuals. The Ravagers (the group to which The Disruptor belongs) for example are considered TL2.

TL3: refers to novas whose interests and/or powers are more of a local threat.

. . .so, in your world, being a telepath is a shoot-on-sight offense??

Guest bblackmoor

. . .so' date=' in your world, being a telepath is a shoot-on-sight offense??[/quote']

But... but... it was just a lucky guess! (BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!)

As I am supremely lazy (but not Lazy Supreme, lest I infringe), I will cut and paste what I wrote in the Alternate terms for archetypes? thread:

In my campaign UNTIL has three general categories for threat ratings: Offensive Ability, Defenses and Difficulty to Restrain. Each is rated from 0-3 (where 0 is a normal unarmed human).

A light brick would be 2/2/1 (able to kill easily at close or medium range, immune to standard small-arms fire, must be held in a reinforced structure). A teleporting martial-artist would be 1/1/3 (able to kill at close range, difficult to target, cannot be restrained while conscious). Superman would be a 3/3/3 (able to kill hardened targets at long range, immune to all conventional weapons, cannot be restrained by any known method).

More detailed explanations of the individual's abilities would be available in their dossier of course, but the three ratings are easy for agents to remember and refer to if they should find themselves facing someone without having been briefed first.

This also provides each superhuman a "power-level" rating which is simply the three threat levels added together ("In other news, a class 7 metahuman was killed in a prolonged battle with UNTIL agents in Hannover today. The incident left six agents dead and seventeen wounded.").

The agent PC's also tend to refer to all metahumans, regardless of power level, as "heavies".

As I am supremely lazy (but not Lazy Supreme, lest I infringe), I will cut and paste what I wrote in the Alternate terms for archetypes? thread:

In my campaign UNTIL has three general categories for threat ratings: Offensive Ability, Defenses and Difficulty to Restrain. Each is rated from 0-3 (where 0 is a normal unarmed human).

A light brick would be 2/2/1 (able to kill easily at close or medium range, immune to standard small-arms fire, must be held in a reinforced structure). A teleporting martial-artist would be 1/1/3 (able to kill at close range, difficult to target, cannot be restrained while conscious). Superman would be a 3/3/3 (able to kill hardened targets at long range, immune to all conventional weapons, cannot be restrained by any known method).

More detailed explanations of the individual's abilities would be available in their dossier of course, but the three ratings are easy for agents to remember and refer to if they should find themselves facing someone without having been briefed first.

This also provides each superhuman a "power-level" rating which is simply the three threat levels added together ("In other news, a class 7 metahuman was killed in a prolonged battle with UNTIL agents in Hannover today. The incident left six agents dead and seventeen wounded.").

The agent PC's also tend to refer to all metahumans, regardless of power level, as "heavies".

I like that one. The place that does the local UNTIL office's laundry is always busy after a Class 9 shows up...

I was just thinking about power levels and threat levels in the CU.

IMO, including a short DoD or UNTIL "threat brief", including the rating, in each villain and hero write-up published in a Champions supplement would have been a very effective bit of flavor.