Fog Sight

Super Squirrel

I'm building a villain that can create a 8" radius fog. He is able to see anything within that fog as long as he is inside it himself. What is the best way to build this?

My thought was Change Environment with linked Clairsentience but I thought maybe someone might have a better idea than that.

Re: Fog Sight

I'm building a villain that can create a 8" radius fog. He is able to see anything within that fog as long as he is inside it himself. What is the best way to build this?

My thought was Change Environment with linked Clairsentience but I thought maybe someone might have a better idea than that.

Sounds like Darkness with Personal Immunity, or Change Environment with Personal Immunity.

Has anyone (villian or government) tested this awesome darkness? Sounds like it completely cuts the victim off from reality - you can't see, hear, taste, feel, or smell? Worse than Hellen Keller. Seems like someone would be interested in how this uber-power works, and what might work around it.

I'm guessing the PC has personal immunity (though I can't figure out a SFX justification). If PI is possible, something must be able to work in the field. If the PC has been a thorn in someone's side, seems like they would want to test it.

If it really is all-powerful, then it's tough to be the GM. Roll with it, and accept that anyone, anywhere can be turned into a vegetable by the Darkness PC. Make situations where the darkness can't be used -

Master villian gives ThugBoy a backpack with technogear that "will completely negate DarknessLass's power!". Full of confidence, ThugBoy goes on a rampage.

Master villian informs DarknessLass that the backpack is a small nuclear device, activated by darkness.

Except I need extended sight for a couple of reasons. The primary being that I don't want one of my players to just throw up her darkness power and completely defeat the villain.

Well, then there are two issues here, which to me means two separate power constructs are needed.

The first is the darkness field. I would say that this merits Personal Immunity, on Darkness... Perhaps as a SFX, he is only immune while actually in the field. On the other hand, with the following power, the Personal Immunity may not be needed... :)

The second is the extended sight/perception. Depending on the SFX of the character. There are many ways this could be done, depending on what you need. If his fog is something that is actually part of himself, maybe have the following power:

21: Detect Objects in Fog Field [PER roll] (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Targeting, Sense, Only While in Fog Field (-1/2)

It is expensive, but probably close to what you want.

Issues:

1. The limitation is probably more like a -1/4, assuming he will always stay in the field.
  2. No Sense Group is cheesey... but represents his ability to sense what is in the field.
  3. Sense is really required, for it to work properly
  4. Could be linked to the Fog Field, but that would likely be only a -1/4 linking.
  5. Is range required for the sense, if it is no sense group? I don't recall...

Maybe link a sense to the fog as "Fog sense(mental sense group) or does the black out power include mental ..if it does us No sense group....

Darkness field includes: Mental, Touch, Sight, Hearing

I don't mind if he can't see inside the darkness field, but I want him to sense anything in the fog cloud that isn't in the darkness field.

Darkness field includes: Mental, Touch, Sight, Hearing

I don't mind if he can't see inside the darkness field, but I want him to sense anything in the fog cloud that isn't in the darkness field.

Ah, now I get it. Thus the comments about clairsentience. That would make sense, then. Only issue there would be that clairsentience with a mobile perception point might be a little expensive? Not sure... haven't run the numbers.

Touch group darkness, eh? That is a little unusual... don't quite understand the SFX there, but you are the GM.... I'd replace Touch group with smell/taste group, myself.

How about doing something a little less dramatic? Just give him a radio based sense (radar)? That would solve the issue right there... of course, you'd have to explain the SFX...

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, now I get it. Thus the comments about clairsentience. That would make sense, then. Only issue there would be that clairsentience with a mobile perception point might be a little expensive? Not sure... haven't run the numbers.

Touch group darkness, eh? That is a little unusual... don't quite understand the SFX there, but you are the GM.... I'd replace Touch group with smell/taste group, myself.

How about doing something a little less dramatic? Just give him a radio based sense (radar)? That would solve the issue right there... of course, you'd have to explain the SFX...

Personally speaking, I'd just give the villain a sense his or the player's Darkness doesn't cover. Black Paladin, for instance, has a Fog spell, but he can see in it because he also has "Detect Souls", Discriminatory, Targeting, Tracking, Analyze, Reads Braille, etc. I found that an interesting variant on the "Personal Immunity" approach.

- Pants

Its perfectly Legal to take a sense as being in its own group...me I'd probibly try Combat sense and Def man IV: both only in fog as a "fog sense" (as opposed to being able to sense fog..."Pacifica...it's that way!") I don't think I'd be too afraid to get hosey with someone built with such a hosey power...though I'd stop before I got to Detect:Darkness power guy,Sense,360 degree....targeting,Discrim.......:)