Convention Character Write Ups

OddHat

I’m planning to run a game at a convention, assuming all goes well. The characters will be 350 point book legal supers, and no house rules will be used in the write ups themselves. The game will be for experienced Hero System players over 18. I’m planning on one four hour session with 6 scenes, with one or two optional scenes in case combat drags out. I’d like opinions on how complex the character write ups can be for this type of game.

Would you prefer to GM or play characters with ECs over characters with MPs in a convention game?

Are VPPs with a good sized list of effects going to work, or would you rather see MPs? In your experience, how do adult convention players react to “No†when a proposed VPP power is rejected? Or is it best to avoid the whole issue by not offering them the option?

Skill lists: Minimized and simplified for a convention, or lengthy enough that any combination of PCs will be able to follow the leads without obvious spoon feeding of info?

Experiences, anecdotes, advice and suggestions appreciated.

Re: Convention Character Write Ups

IMO, avoid VPP's if possible for convention pregens. Apply the KISS method. Avoid "high concept" characters. Try to cover the archetypes fairly equally.

Go with more base and less disads -- most disads are relatively meaningless in a 1 off.

Include a summary sheet of all the characters and hand that out to the players first, giving a high pass on what the character are all about.

IMO, avoid VPP's if possible for convention pregens. Apply the KISS method. Avoid "high concept" characters. Try to cover the archetypes fairly equally.

Go with more base and less disads -- most disads are relatively meaningless in a 1 off.

Include a summary sheet of all the characters and hand that out to the players first, giving a high pass on what the character are all about.

Thanks. The summary sheet is a must, and I will make one up.

I second the "avoid VPPs " sentiment...just throw in a big Multi...you don't want to bog things down at all if you can avoid it, and when giving out characters simple is better, both in powers and in personality. Overconfident showoff is something anyone can pull off, but "shy-loner-but wants to......" is a bit much to ask. Best of luck!

Here is another good suggestion: save the characters. That way if the player wants to keep the character then he can do so and you will not lose the character youself (unless that does not bother you). In addition you should keep the characters simple, especially if the players are most likely to be unfimiliar with Hero. Using only one concept is best, such as a combat master, speedster, brick, etc. Do not use a mixed concept like the speed-brick, mental-ninja, etc. It was stated before but needs to be re-hit on: DO NOT use VPPs. If you feel that you must do so, then provide a list of abilities for the player to select from. Only venture outside that list for a power that is so off-the-wall that you feel that it should be there, regardless of any problem that it possesses (you can correct any problem later). :celebrate

I know you played Friends of Justice, OddHat, did you play SuperSquad America as well? I have had very little trouble with the characters in that game -- you can see the characters at www.supersquadamerica.com. Almost all the characters have one or more multipowers and sometimes an EC as well - no VPPs. However, I have seen VPPs work in a convention game -- without an effect list -- the GM just asked the player to describe in special effect terms what they wanted to do and then worked out in her head what it would be in game terms.

In my opinion, you should bring one set of character sheets per run and an extra set for yourself to consult -- or use as extras just in case one gets lost.

However, I will say that in my events (particularly SuperSquad America), I am far more interested in how the players role play the personalities of the characters than I am in how they handle the powers and combat -- so, in truth, I think the back side of the character sheet with background and what they think of the other team members is far more important than the actual game statistics on the front. But what will work for you will depend upon what type of event you are running.

You can find out more about my philosophy behind the SuperSquad America event in Digital Hero 9.

Regarding VPP's vs. Multipowers,

I think it is always possible that the players will find a creative way to apply special effects in a way that you did not come up with ahead of time in your writeups. A Multipower + Power skill combination is probably the best way to emulate the last resort aspect of attempting to use powers in a new way for the first time.

However, IF you instead go with a VPP it might be a good idea to set a strict time limit of no more than 10-15 minutes for the player to come up with any additional power constructs before gameplay begins.

HM

Quick disclaimer: OddHat is a top notch gamer and experienced GM, and thus I have every confidence that all the basics are well in hand on his end.

I think he's probably looking more for GM tricks and considerations specific to running Con's than he is basic GMing principles.

As for skills, I go with the lengthy list of what I feel the character should have. But then I tend to improvise investigations -- that is, I know where the investigation has to lead them and just let the players do things to investigate and give out needed information when appropriate. In other words, no matter what they choose to follow up on, they will usually find themselves on the right path. However, I will occasionally spoon feed important information if the players seem lost.

I should also mention that I tend to see convention games as being about a particular group of characters. That is, I design the characters and then create an adventure for those characters. The characters are not designed for a particular adventure and thus, in my mind, need to be fully realized characters as opposed to simply designed to fit the adventure.

When I used the Champions as the PC group in a convention game, I used only the VPP options given in Witchcraft's writeup. Were I to use another VPP character, I'd do the same - write up a series of "modes," each of which fully utilizes the VPP and is optimized for a certain task. I'd also make the VPP pool no larger than 30 points, so knowledgable players are less likely to want to fiddle around.

Don't be afraid to use cliches and stereotypes. The players have an hour to get into a character they've never seen before, so subtlety isn't always possible.

Under similar circumstances, a friend recommended that I make clones or melds of commonly known characters. You know, the stuff you hate to see your players hand in.

Ex: "This character 'Pshark' is kind of like 'Blade' in personality and general tactics but he uses mind powers instead of hand-to-hand combat." It gives them an easy handle on the character. If they're a good player, they can make it their own.

Also, let them run with the personality. It's their character, and as long as they stay within the psych lims and breif description, let them play them how they want. And in saying that, letting people play your old characters, its hard to not 'correct' them.

Don't be afraid to use cliches and stereotypes. The players have an hour to get into a character they've never seen before, so subtlety isn't always possible.

Under similar circumstances, a friend recommended that I make clones or melds of commonly known characters. You know, the stuff you hate to see your players hand in.

Ex: "This character 'Pshark' is kind of like 'Blade' in personality and general tactics but he uses mind powers instead of hand-to-hand combat." It gives them an easy handle on the character. If they're a good player, they can make it their own.

In some ways, I see this approach as being condescending to convention players. I think convention games should offer something special -- something that players wouldn't get back in their games at home. As a player, if I was given an obvious clone character in a convention game, it would immediately lower my opinion of the GM and I would begin to wonder if I could enjoy the game. And what if the player is not familiar with the character you are using as the template for the personality. For instance, you example would tell me nothing about Pshark because I nave never read any Blade comics or seen any of the movies.

Also, let them run with the personality. It's their character, and as long as they stay within the psych lims and breif description, let them play them how they want. And in saying that, letting people play your old characters, its hard to not 'correct' them.

I definitely agree with letting them run with the personality. However, I think that you can definitely let people play your old characters -- I do it all the time. I think the key is separating the two versions in your mind, but then again I am always interesting in differing interpretations of the same character by different writers or actors.