Please help me build a wind-based EC Framework

Speedball

OK, I've made plenty of Champions characters, but I'm building one with an Elemental Control framework for the first time. Can you experts help me build the following powers into a wind-based EC? (There's an 80-point ceiling on AP.)

Energy Blast

Dex Drain, NND (defense is Flight)

Con Drain, NND (defense is LS: Self-Contained Breathing)

RKA (with objects of opportunity)

Missile Deflect, Reflect, bullets and shrapnel, ranged, won't work against heavy objects

Telekinesis

Sight Group Flash, NND (defense is completely covered eyes or face)

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Please help me build a wind-based EC Framework

The first thing I'd ask is what's your fascination with NNDs? All the powers you have listed as NND don't need to be NND because they already effect unusual defenses. Making them NND is a waste of points, IMO.

22 Wind Manipulation Elemental Control

23 a: Wind Buffering: 3d6 Dex Drain, Ranged.

23 b: Air Loss: 3d6 Con Drain, Ranged

15 c: Wind Shred: 3d6 RKA Object of Opportunity: -1/2

19 d: Wind Reversal: 15 pt Missile Defection/Reflection, Ranged: +1, Cost End: -1/2

23 e: Wind Manipulation: 30 Strength Telekinesis

23 f: Windburn The Eyes: 9d6 flash.

I didn't run the points but that would work.

I think that the reason for the NNDs is to most accurately build the power, rather than to achieve the highest level of point effiecency. For example, Flash Defense (sight) based on eyes used to higher levels of light than human eyes, should still be impacted by a Flash that is wind and/or wind bourn particles blowing into the eyes.

OK, I've tried reworking it as a multipower and added a few things. Does this make more sense?

80 Wind Multi-power 80-point reserve

15 “Like lying on Clouds” Flight 20” x4 Non-combat 0-END +1/2 (flexible slot)

16 “Pouring it on” Flight 20” x256 Non-combat (flexible slot)

16 “Blowing them away” Energy Blast (wind blast), 16d6 (flexible slot)

4 “Spin me right ‘round, baby” Dex Drain 4d6 (fixed slot)

6 RKA 3d6, needs objects of opportunity – ¼, penetrating + ½ (fixed slot)

3 “Right back at you” Missile Deflect, Reflect (to any target), Bullets and Shrapnel, ranged +1, will not work against heavy missiles – ¼, costs END – ½ (fixed slot)

9 Telekinesis, 30 STR (flexible slot)

4 “Cant…Breathe!” Con Drain 4d6, (fixed slot)

6 Sight Group Flash 5d6, area of Effect + ¼ (fixed slot)

159 Total Cost

I would drop the flight powers out of the multipower. If someone surpresses your multipower, you are stuck.

I don't think anyone would shoot bullets at an energy projector capable of 16d6 EB. I would down play missile deflection.

I hope your character has high speed or defenses, and lots of END!!

I'm still figuring out the numbers, but right now he's got about 8 spd, 40PD (30rPD)/40ED (30rED) and about 60 END.

This is a high-powered campaign (600 base +150 disad) and I have very little practice at building high-powered characters. I'll post the full draft here when I get within the point totals.

There's no reason you couldn't have a Multipower and an Elemental Control.

Put the Attack Powers in the MP. Put all the other powers in the EC. Make the Flight power one slot, with Variable Advantage (possibilities are 0 END and Megascale). I would make sure to buy some levels with Flight (a wind-based Energy Projector should be pretty much "at home" in the air).

A better one for "Can't Breathe..." would probably be an NND EB. If you want a Drain, make it Drain REC and buy down the Recovery Rate (which is nasty enough).

[EDIT - I see you put Ranged on your Missile Deflection already. Good show.]

Re: Please help me build a wind-based EC FrameworkAlright, now that I'm home... Here's what you've got so far:

Cost Power END
80 Power Of The Wind: Multipower, 80-point reserve
6u 1) Can't Breathe: Drain CON 4d6, Ranged (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6
9m 2) Control Winds: Telekinesis (30 STR) 4
5u 3) Flying Debris I: RKA 3d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (67 Active Points); Requires Objects Of Opportunity (-1/4) 7
3u 4) Flying Debris II: Sight Group Flash 5d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (One Hex; +1/4) (31 Active Points) 3
13m 5) Like Lying On Clouds: Flight 20", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (67 Active Points) 0
15m 6) Pouring It On: Flight 20", x256 Noncombat (75 Active Points) 7
3u 7) Right Back At You: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Full Range (+1) (60 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4) 6
6u 8) Spin Me Right 'Round, Baby: Drain DEX 4d6, Ranged (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6
16m 9) Wind Blast: Energy Blast 16d6 (80 Active Points) 8
Powers Cost: 156
A couple of thoughts: With all those ultra slots, you're going to be a little tight when you need to use a special power - you'll have to land if you want to deflect missiles, for instance. I also think your Flying Debris powers (RKA and Sight Group Flash) could be combined in one slot. How about something like this:

Cost Power END
6u 1) Can't Breathe: Energy Blast 3d6, NND (defense is Life Support [self-Contained Breathing]; +1), Continuous (+1) (45 Active Points) plus Drain REC 1d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (27 Active Points); Linked (Energy Blast; -1/2) 7
15m 2) Control Winds: Telekinesis (40 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) 3
6u 3) Flying Debris: RKA 1d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (41 Active Points); Requires Objects Of Opportunity (-1/4) plus Sight Group Flash 3d6, Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (34 Active Points); Linked (RKA; -1/2) 7
3u 4) Right Back At You: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Full Range (+1) (60 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4) 6
6u 5) Spin Me Right 'Round, Baby: Drain DEX 4d6, Ranged (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6
16m 6) Wind Blast: Energy Blast 9d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (79 Active Points) 8
16m 7) Wind Riding: Flight 26", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Combat Acceleration/Decelleration, Rapid Noncombat Movement, MegaMovement (1" = 1 km), No Turn Mode, Usable As Gliding, Usable Underwater; +1/2) (78 Active Points) 8
Powers Cost: 148

I bow before your superior hero-fu!

Thanks!

I'm a little unclear, though--you mentioned that the way I'd built the multipower that the character would have to land when using the missile deflect. I don't notice a difference with yours--is that still going tobe hte case? (once again, I admit to not fully understanding multipowers.)

Here's the first completed draft of Hurricane. I'd appreciate any suggestions folks would like to make, especially since I'm not used to creating such high-powered characters. Credit for the multipower construction belongs to AlHazred. Sorry for the formatting--can't seem to get it right.

Hero Name: Hurricane OCV: 7 (12)

Civilian ID: Simon Cooper Windsor DCV: 7 (12)

Player Name: Geoff Hunt

Score Stat Cost Roll Notes

60 STR 50 21- lift 100 tons; 12d6 dmg; 12” leap

20 DEX 30 13-

30 CON 40 15-

30 BODY 40 15-

20 INT 10 13-

20 EGO 20 13-

20 PRE 10 13- 2d6 PRE attack

20 COM 5 13-

40 PD 26

40 ED 30

8 SPD 50

20 REC 2

60 END 0

70 STUN

313 Characteristics Total Cost

Powers

Cost Name END

6u 1) Can't Breathe: Energy Blast 3d6, NND (defense is Life Support [self-Contained Breathing]; +1), Continuous (+1) (45 Active Points) plus Drain REC 1d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (27 Active Points); Linked (Energy Blast; -1/2) 7

15m 2) Control Winds: Telekinesis (40 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points) 3

6u 3) Flying Debris: RKA 1d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (41 Active Points); Requires Objects Of Opportunity (-1/4) plus Sight Group Flash 3d6, Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (34 Active Points); Linked (RKA; -1/2) 7

3u 4) Right Back At You: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Full Range (+1) (60 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4) 6

6u 5) Spin Me Right 'Round, Baby: Drain DEX 4d6, Ranged (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6

16m 6) Wind Blast: Energy Blast 9d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (79 Active Points) 8

16m 7) Wind Riding: Flight 26", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Combat Acceleration/Decelleration, Rapid Noncombat Movement, MegaMovement (1" = 1 km), No Turn Mode, Usable As Gliding, Usable Underwater; +1/2) (78 Active Points) 8

Multi-power Cost: 148

18 I Can Feel the Air Moving: Spatial Awareness; won’t work in a vacuum –¼, 0

45 Wind-toughened Skin: Damage Resistance (30 PD/30 ED), Hardened x2 0

10 The Wind at My Back: Knockback Resistance –5” 0

15 Just Fine the Way I Am, Thanks: Power Defense 0

10 No Thanks—I Brought My Own: LS: Self-Contained Breathing 0

3 I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead: LS: Needs no sleep 0

5 Hard Gear: Flash Defense, 8 points, OIF (Mask lenses) 0

260 Powers total cost

Skills

Cost Name Roll

3 Linguist

3 Scholar

3 Traveler

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

40 CSLs—5 levels, all combat

3 Conversation 13-

3 High Society 13-

2 KS: British History 13-

2 KS: Royal Family and Nobility of UK 13-

2 KS: English and American Literature 13-

2 KS: European and American Art History 13-

2 KS: Heroes and Villains 13-

2 AK: UK 13-

0 CK: London (home city) 13-

1 CK: Paris 11-

1 CK: Berlin 11-

1 CK: Rome 11-

1 CK: New York 11-

1 CK: San Francisco 11-

1 CK: Los Angeles 11-

1 CK: Boston 11-

0 English (Native)

1 Spanish (Fluent conversation)

1 German (Fluent conversation)

1 Italian (Fluent conversation)

1 Latin (Fluent conversation)

1 French (Fluent conversation)

1 Russian (Fluent conversation)

1 Ancient Greek (Fluent conversation)

1 Japanese (Fluent conversation)

3 Oratory 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Seduction 13-

3 Riding (Horses) 13-

0 Everyman Skills (GM’s discretion)

103 Total Skills

Perks

Cost Name

5 Access to English and NATO military and government facilities

7 Computer link to English military and police systems

8 Contact 11-, extremely useful resources, major institutions, significant contacts of his/her own, good relationship. (NAME: GM Discretion)

21 Contact 11-, extremely useful resources, major institutions, significant contacts of its own, (NAME: GM Discretion)

5 International Police Power

7 Security Clearance

3 Reputation: England’s Greatest Hero and protector (most of world)

15 Wealth: Filthy Rich

71 Total Perks

Talents

Cost Name

3 Absolute Range Sense

3 Total Talents

Disadvantages

5 Margaret Windsor (sister), DNPC: Normal, Infrequent 8-

5 “The girl of the moment”, DNPC: Normal, Infrequent 8-

5 Well-known costume, Distinctive Features: easily concealed.

20 Hunted (GM’s Choice)

5 Hunted: British Government (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

20 Psych Lim: Fearlessly Heroic: will risk life in obviously lethal circumstances; (Very common, strong)

10 Psych Lim: Must live up to reputation as “England’s greatest protector” (Uncommon, strong)

20 Psych Lim: Must protect innocents (common, total)

15 Social Lim: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Lim: Famous

15 Reputation: famous hero who will help anyone who appears to be a victim, 14-

10 Reputation: playboy (frequently, 11-)

150 Total Disads

Background/History: Born into a normal, but fantastically wealthy family distantly related to England’s royal family, Simon Cooper Windsor grew up accustomed to a life of privilege. He received an exclusive education, attending the best boarding schools and excelling effortlessly. He was especially interested in languages and went on to Cambridge University, where he spent his years shuttling back and forth from the classroom to whatever vacation his family or friends were arranging for the weekend. Life was not all tea and crumpets for Simon, however. Simon’s widowed father took pains to make certain Simon understood what a burden he would inherit with his wealth, position, and fame. The Windsor family had a responsibility to pay the world back for their good fortune and to take care of those who were unable to take care of themselves. After Simon graduated from Cambridge with his First in modern languages, he spent a summer on the Mediterranean on one of the family’s yachts and it was during these weeks that his powers first manifested themselves. First, he found that he could fly and he would glide into a seaside town after dark each night to find dinner, drinks, and a beautiful woman to seduce. As the summer continued and the sun turned his skin dark, Simon began thinking back to his father’s remonstrations: “don’t waste your life; don’t fail your heritage.” As the extent of his powers became apparent, Simon began to understand just how grave the consequences to inaction could be. Others were beginning to appear and it became obvious that many of them had no such feelings of responsibility as they spread chaos and, in the most unfortunate cases, death. Acting to thwart minor crimes at first, Hurricane (as he began calling himself in the notes he left for the bobbies) eschewed the spotlight, preferring to act as an anonymous patron. After the quiet death of his aged father, Simon inherited the bulk of the family fortune, the care of his younger sister Margaret (still a teen and attending her own boarding school) and a feeling that he needed to be even more engaged in the fight to protect England. As he began to work harder to act as England’s premier champion, Hurricane also attracted the attention of the government; the authorities appreciated the help and Hurricane used their facilities to help him do his job. As he continues to act in Britain’s defense, it is normal for him to travel to other parts of the world, sometimes for long periods, and in order for him to accomplish his job, he has been granted international police powers.

Personality/Motivation: In his civilian life, Simon appears as the stereotypical rich playboy. His love-life is semi-scandalous and his photo is regularly on the cover of tabloid magazines whenever anyone compiles a list of ‘most eligible bachelors.’ This is not just an act for Simon. He sees this as a necessary contre-temps to his ‘professional’ life, which places him under an amazing strain. He is not a superhero because he enjoys it (though there are times when he does)—he is a superhero because he must be. He never betrays these feelings to the press or other ‘normal’ people, but he will sometimes confide in other heroes to see how they deal with their responsibilities. He is alternately surprised and envious when he encounters a hero who does what s/he does because s/he likes it. First impressions of Hurricane are usually of an incredibly earnest, serious young man.

Powers/Tactics: In combat, Hurricane first likes to make certain that innocents will not be harmed. He will usually use his telekinesis and flight to move potential victims to safety before engaging a villain unless he or she will get away to do more harm to others. He never hesitates to put himself between an innocent and danger and this has nearly gotten him killed on more than one occasion. When engaging the enemy, Hurricane prefers to use the most non-violent method available to incapacitate a foe—dex drain often does the trick—unless that person has proven to be a serious danger to innocents (or, God forbid, England), in which case he will soften his target up by blowing debris at him/her and following up with a move-through to end the fight as quickly as possible. Out of combat, Hurricane prefers to use his contacts, security clearance, and computer link to learn as much as possible about a situation before diving in—he still has a strong academic streak in him and he enjoys the research, since it lets him feel as though he’s doing his job while he’s enjoying himself at the same time

Appearance: Hurricane wears a full-body costume of olive green, with a red, white, and blue bull’s-eye as his chest insignia, like the World War II-era plane he named himself after—the Hawker Hurricane. When in his secret identity, Simon Cooper Windsor is an impeccably dressed, handsome twenty-five year old man. He always seems to have a healthy tan, even in the dead of winter, which sets him apart from most of his pasty countrymen. His hair is a dirty blonde, his eyes are a glowing hazel, and his teeth—in an unmistakable mark of his wealth—are both perfectly aligned and as white as snow.

Quotation: “you’re going to stop hurting people. You can do it voluntarily, or I can make you.”

you.”

I was incorrect. You should be fine, just considerably slower.

The main reason why people prefer ECs to MPs is that with an MP you have to keep careful track of how you've distributed the pool. If you want to Missile Deflect, for instance, you'll have to take those 60 points from somewhere, probably leaving you just with about 6" of Flight - you can't put any fewer points into it, because it's an ultra slot. It would only really become a problem if you had all of your defenses in it as well. (As far as defenses go, I was thinking you could do well with a Force Field, defined as constant winds that surround your body deflecting attacks, but Wind-Hardened Skin is fine if your GM allows it.)

I would consider turning Flying Debris and Can't Breathe into multis, so that you can use them in smaller amounts while flying and Deflecting, but that's your call. Maybe something to spend experience on, or you could lower the Power Defense.

Nice write up! Kudos on not dropping everything into powers and stats; I like to see people with well thought-out Skills, Talents, and Perks.