Jack of All Trades

Narthon

It seems to me that the Jack of All Trades skill enhancer is greatly weakened by the fact that so many "Professional skills" are listed as normal skills. What is to keep a character from buying a PS instead of the "normal" skill that does the same thing.

Let me go down the skill list with skills and their PS.

Acrobatics= PS: Acrobat. A circus performer or gymnast.

Acting= PS: Actor

Animal Handler= PS: Animal Handler, breeder, trainer, whatever

Armorsmith= PS: Armorsmith

Bureaucratics= PS: Beurocrat

Climbing= PS: Mountaineer

Combat Piloting= PS: Fighter Pilot

Computer Programming= PS: Programmer

Conversation= PS: Psychiatrist

Deduction= PS: Detective

Demolitions= PS:Sapper, Demolitionist

Disguise= PS: Hollywood makeup artist

Electronics= PS: Electronic fabricator

Forensic Medicine= PS: Forensic Surgon

Gambling= PS: Gambler

Lockpicking= PS: Locksmith (and you get more out of it)

Mechanics= PS: Mechanic

Navigation= PS: Navigator

Oratory= PS: Public Speaker

Paramedics= PS: Paramedic

Riding= PS: Cowboy (one example)

Weaponsmith= PS: Weaponsmith

yes, most of these skills are extreamly useful, and should cost points, but I don't think they are any more so than sciences or languages. What do you think of allowing these skills (and other justifiable skills) to be covered by Jack of all Trades, or getting rid of Jack of all Trades all together?

Re: Jack of All Trades

GMO you can buy a KS or PS with any skill for 2/2 at 11- and 1/2- at 8- fpr two and one character points, respectively. I would suppose that the JOAT enhancer would make these even cheaper (perhaps 2 familiarities for one point? I don't know, we should ask Steve).

Hi Narthon: They don't do the same thing.

For example, Acrobatics and PS:Acrobat are completely different. Acrobatics is the ability to do flips, etc. PS:Acrobat is the knowledge of how to get hired and make money at being an acrobat. It would also impart knowledge of other key acrobats in the field. Maybe the Flying Walenza's.

The skills are different.

So if a person had PS: Acrobat (18-) and no Acrobat skill, they are incredibly able to promote themselves flopping around on the ground?

The Three Stooges, but with injuries? (i.e. not enough skill to prevent themselves from being hurt!)

I LOVE that imagery!

So if a person had PS: Acrobat (18-) and no Acrobat skill, they are incredibly able to promote themselves flopping around on the ground?

The Three Stooges, but with injuries? (i.e. not enough skill to prevent themselves from being hurt!)

I LOVE that imagery!

I suspect he might be able to do the standard Acrobat tricks and could put on a good show but it would probably wouldn't be terribly effective outside the performance arena.

In short, a professional skill lets you do the activity in a standard setting for that skill whereas the "real" skill lets you apply it in an adventuring venue. And vice versa, Acting 14- is great for pretending to be a Viper agent but it doesn't convey any knowledge or skill in the actual business of acting -- for example, how to properly behave at an audtion or how to hit your light, etc.

Just my opinion,

Rod

GMO you can buy a KS or PS with any skill for 2/2 at 11- and 1/2- at 8- fpr two and one character points' date=' respectively. I would suppose that the JOAT enhancer would make these even cheaper (perhaps 2 familiarities for one point? I don't know, we should ask Steve).[/quote']

Actually buying a familiarity at 8- is 1 point and increasing that familiarity to a real skill is 1 more point, at which point the +1 to the roll for 2 points kicks in. The rules explicitly state 1 point is the minimum cost for any skill with a Skill Enhancer and that the 1 point expenditure gives you an 11-.

Ok' date=' I buy it for acting and acrobat, but what about Armorsmith and Weaponsmith? How are they any different that a PS? If anything, I would think the PS would be better, as you have the skill to make the weapons, and to sell them.[/quote']Well, I never said that it was a perfect approach :). In this case, I would say that the PS versions of these skills would only let you know about tbe business end of things. In short, a PS or KS can never duplicate the effect of a "real" skill.

In general, "real" skills tend to be things that have game-specific effects (or things like Computer Programming which are just really useful in games) while professional skills tend to be things that might be useful in a game, but have no specific game-specific effects. In such cases, I would rule in the same way as I did for the two examples you gave.

Guest Champsguy

PS doesn't give you the ability to do the skill. It gives you the professional knowledge that goes along with the business or professional use of the skill.

PS: Acrobat at 18- does not mean you can even do a handstand. It does, however, make you a kick-ass agent for somebody trying to get work in the field. You'd know the names for all the proper dismounts, moves, and everything like that. You'd probably make a good gymnastics coach, as well. But you can't do backflips.

As far as Weaponsmith, with the appropriate PS, you'd know how much certain types of guns sold for. You'd know what was the market rate for an AK-47. You'd know all the secondary information that you'd need to know to run a business as a weaponsmith (which permits you'd need to get, etc).