Sorcerer Supreme Building

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Sorcerer Supreme Building

but the pope is also the head of state of the nation of vatican city so hes's got the full set.

actually the popes pretty well set up hero wise

hes got two huge bases THE VATICAN and his summer home plus lots and lots of minor ones. his own bank, his own army of highly trained swiss merceneries about a billion followers.

contacts with most of the world leaders

a bad ass bullet proof car private jet that sort of thing

not to mention one of the worlds most impressive libraries and a collection of potent ancient relics.

JmoZ,

I think that the Sorceror character you posted could really use a severe drop in his DEX replaced with an increased EGO. Mystics are supposed to be willpower-houses to control the Might Arcane that they regularly throw out there.

Check out the Why the Heck not thread for an option, just pay no attention to TheRealLemming or that other guy with the Japanese name that I can't remember how to spell :blush:.

Hawksmoor

While not quite the 'Sorceror Supreme' of my universe,

Anubis here is one of the forerunners should the current

one need replacement.

Anubis

Alt IDs: Gerard Jacquot

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
23 DEX 39
25 CON 30
15 BODY 10
33 INT 23
30 EGO 40
20 PRE 10
15 COM 3
6/66 PD 2
6/66 ED 1
5 SPD 17
9 REC 0
50 END 0
39 STUN 1
6" RUN02" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 186

Cost Power END
17 The Favor of Anubis: Luck 5d6 (25 Active Points); Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2) 0
27 Gatekeeper's Connection: Mind Link , Alien class of minds, Any Willing Target, Any dimension, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x64) (75 Active Points); OAF (Staff of Anubis; -1), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 7
33 The Avatar of a God: Life Support (Eating Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep) (50 Active Points); IAF Unbreakable (Staff of Anubis; -1/2) 0
20 The Gatekeeper's Resolve: Mental Defense (36 points total) (30 Active Points); IAF (-1/2) 0
20 Protected by Anubis: Power Defense (30 points) (30 Active Points); IAF (-1/2) 0
100 The Gatekeeper's Duty: (Total: 245 Active Cost, 100 Real Cost) Force Field (20 PD/20 ED) (Protect Carried Items), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (Staff of Anubis; -1) (Real Cost: 37) plus Force Field (20 PD/20 ED), Hardened (x2; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (80 Active Points); OAF (Staff of Anubis; -1), Linked (Daily Duty; -1/4) (Real Cost: 35) plus Force Field (20 PD/20 ED), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Hardened (x3; +3/4) (90 Active Points); OAF (Staff of Anubis; -1), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Linked (The Gatekeeper's Stand; -1/4) (Real Cost: 28) 35
40 Death Energies: Endurance Reserve (200 END, 20 REC) (40 Active Points) 0
15 Turn to Anubis: Shape Shift (Sight, Hearing, Touch and Smell/Taste Groups), Instant Change, Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) 2
130 Magic of Anubis: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 90 base + 40 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1) (180 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available Slightly Limited (Magic; -1/4); all slots OAF (-1)
0 1) Portal to the Netherworld: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location), Usable By Other (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (44 Active Points); Gate (-1/4) Real Cost: 19 4
0 2) Nether Energy: Energy Blast 18d6 (90 Active Points) Real Cost: 45 9
0 3) Weary: Drain STUN 6d6, END and STUN simultaneously (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4) Real Cost: 40 9
0 4) View the Horrors: Ego Attack 9d6 (90 Active Points) Real Cost: 45 9
0 5) The Speed of Darkness: Flight 10", x32 Noncombat (40 Active Points) Real Cost: 20 4
0 6) It is not your time...: Healing BODY 8 1/2d6, Can Heal Limbs (90 Active Points) Real Cost: 45 9
0 7) Shadows of Regret: Mental Illusions 10d6, Cumulative (120 points; +3/4) (87 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; Whatever the target most Regrets; -1) Real Cost: 29 9
0 8) Walk through Shadows: Teleportation 21", No Relative Velocity, x16 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4) (90 Active Points) Real Cost: 45 9
Powers Cost: 402

Cost Skill
0 Acting 8-
3 Analyze: Magic 16-
3 Bureaucratics 13-
0 Climbing 8-
12 +4 with Magic of Anubuis
3 Concealment 16-
3 Conversation 13-
5 Cramming
5 Cramming
5 Cramming
3 Criminology 16-
3 Cryptography 16-
7 Deduction 18-
3 Disguise 16-
3 Forensic Medicine 16-
2 Gambling (Card Games) 16-
3 High Society 13-
3 Interrogation 13-
0 Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
2 Navigation (Astral) 16-
3 Oratory 13-
5 Paramedics 17-
3 Persuasion 13-
0 PS: Mortician 11-
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: Ancient Egyptian History (3 Active Points) 16-
2 2) KS: Metahumans (3 Active Points) 16-
2 3) KS: Mysticism (3 Active Points) 16-
2 4) KS: Mystics (3 Active Points) 16-
3 SS: Biology 16-
3 Shadowing 16-
20 +2 Overall
3 Stealth 14-
3 Streetwise 13-
0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 Traveler
2 1) AK: Astral Plane (3 Active Points) 16-
2 2) AK: Egypt (3 Active Points) 16-
2 3) AK: New Orleans (3 Active Points) 16-
2 4) AK: The Underworld (3 Active Points) 16-
2 WF: Small Arms
Skills Cost: 135

Cost Perk
18 Contact: New Orleans Historical Society (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (18 Active Points) 12-
4 Contact: Ezekial Black - Voodoo Houngon (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact) 8-
2 Favor
10 Money: Wealthy
2 Reputation: Powerful Mystic Superhero (A medium-sized group) 11-, +2/+2d6
60 Base
11 Contact: Anubis (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) 13-
Perks Cost: 107

Cost Talent
57 Danger Sense (any area, any danger, Discriminatory, Function as a Sense, Telescopic (+10)) 16-
3 Simulate Death
10 Lightning Reflexes: +10 DEX to act first with Teleport
Talents Cost: 70

Total Character Cost: 900

Val Disadvantages
15 Dependent NPC: Latana of the 8th House of Xedal 14- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)
15 Dependent NPC: House servants Hank and Jane 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
15 Hunted: Mystic Badguys of the Universe 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)
25 Hunted: Watchers of the Void 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
20 Hunted: Mephistopholese 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Torment)
15 Physical Limitation: Makes animals very uncomfortable (All the Time, Slightly Impairing)
20 Psychological Limitation: Way too curious (Very Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Obsessed with death (Uncommon, Total)
10 Reputation: Creepy dealer with the Dead, 11-
10 Rivalry: Professional (Charon; Rival is More Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
20 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Severe)
20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders ( by Anubis ) (Frequently, Severe)

Disadvantage Points: 200

Base Points: 700

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

JmoZ,

I think that the Sorceror character you posted could really use a severe drop in his DEX replaced with an increased EGO. Mystics are supposed to be willpower-houses to control the Might Arcane that they regularly throw out there.

Check out the Why the Heck not thread for an option, just pay no attention to TheRealLemming or that other guy with the Japanese name that I can't remember how to spell :blush:.

Hawksmoor

I have thought about what you had to say, and I can see your point. So I decided to raise the ego, drop some dex, and some other stuff, and balanced the two out (She will need the high OCV to get through some of the baddies she will fase, also did not want her ego to be higher than the team's mentalist

So here you go, the updated version, for her contacts there is a thread about mystic contacts around here somewhere

Oracle

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
26 DEX 48
25 CON 30
11 BODY 2
28 INT 18
26 EGO 32
20 PRE 10
20 COM 5
30 PD 2
30 ED 0
6 SPD 24
8 REC 0
50 END 0
35 STUN 3
6" RUN020" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 179

Cost Power END
6 Centurion Radio Link: Mind Link (Specific Group of Minds), Number of Minds (x2) (15 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), IIF (-1/4), Affected by Radio & Hearing, not Mental (-1/4)
4 Strong Mind: +4 Mental Defense (9 points total)
7 Counter spells: Power Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points); Magic Only (-1/2)
5 Nexus: Luck 1d6
Centurion Costume, all slots: IIF (-1/4)
4 1) Damage Resistance (5 PD/5 ED) (5 Active Points)
4 2) Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat (5 Active Points)
5 Magesight: Detect: Magic A Class Of Things 15-
2 Elixer of Eternal Youth: Life Support , Longevity: 800 Years (3 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles -1/4)
231 Magic Pool: Variable Power Pool (Magic), 105 base + 126 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (262 Active Points); No more than 70 Real Points (-1/4)
0 1) Shields of the Blessed ones: Force Field (25 PD/25 ED), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (75 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 50
0 2) Bolts of Mystical Force: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Attack Versus Limited Defense: Pow Defence (+1 1/2) (82 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) Real Cost: 47 4
0 3) Protection of the Zodiac: Life Support , Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (12 Active Points); Visible (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) Real Cost: 8
40 Cloak of the Travelor: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots: (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
3u 1) Levitation: Flight 20", Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (60 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)
1u 2) Swimming +18" (20" total), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (27 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)
3u 3) Shortcuts of the Unseen: Teleportation 10", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages +1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time Full Phase (-1/2) 3
3u 4) The Unseen Pathways: Teleportation 10", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Megascale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Extra Time Full Phase (-1/2) 6
3u 5) The Unknown Pathways: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Any Location), x2 Increased Weight, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time Full Phase (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 321

Cost Skill
3 Analyze: Magic 15-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Concealment 15-
3 Contortionist 14-
3 Conversation 13-
3 Cryptography 15-
3 Deduction 15-
3 Mimicry 15-
3 Navigation (Astral, Dimensional) 15-
3 Oratory 13-
3 Paramedics 15-
3 Magic Skill (INT-based) 15-
3 Riding 14-
3 Seduction 13-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Teamwork 14-
2 TF: Centurion Vehicles, Flying Beasts
3 Linguist
1 1) Language: Spanish (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 2) Language: Latin (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 3) Language: German (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 4) Language: French (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 5) Language: Atlantean (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 6) Language: Greek (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
1 7) Language: Sandscript (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
3 Scholar
4 1) KS: Hydromancy Divination (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 17-
4 2) KS: Thurmancy (High Magic) (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 17-
2 3) KS: Arcane Lore (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) KS: Divination Methods (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 5) KS: Mystic Threats (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 6) KS: Magic Styles (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 7) KS: Practicianers of Magic (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 8) KS: Mystic World (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
1 9) KS: Occultisim (2 Active Points) 11-
1 10) KS: Occult Lore (2 Active Points) 11-
3 Traveler
2 1) AK: Dimmension Of The Loremaster's Keep (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
1 2) AK: Earth (2 Active Points) 11-
2 3) AK: Mystic Sites (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) CuK: Mystics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
1 5) AK: Afterrealms (2 Active Points) 11-
1 6) AK: Realm of Fae (2 Active Points) 11-
1 7) CuK: The Fae (2 Active Points) 11-
1 8) AK: Netherworlds (2 Active Points) 11-
1 9) CuK: Denizens of the Netherworlds (2 Active Points) 11-
Skills Cost: 100

Cost Perk
13 Fringe Benefit: International Police Powers, Member of the Lunar Centurions, Mystic Guardian
5 Reputation: Master of the Mystic Arts (A small to medium sized group; 14-) +5/+5d6
10 The Keep of the Loremaster (Partial Payment) (50 Base, 0 Disad)
2 Reputation: Popular Hero (A large group; 8-) +2/+2d6
3 Well-Connected
2 1) Contact (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity) (3 Active Points) 11-
5 2) Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: very useful Skills or resources) (6 Active Points) 11-
3 3) Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity) (4 Active Points) 11-
2 4) Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity) (3 Active Points) 11-
1 5) Contact (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity) (2 Active Points) 11-
2 6) Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has been blackmailed by the character, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: useful Skills or resources) (3 Active Points) 11-
1 7) Favor (1 Active Points)
1 8) Favor (1 Active Points)
1 9) Favor (1 Active Points)
1 10) Favor (1 Active Points)
Perks Cost: 50

Total Character Cost: 650

Val Disadvantages
10 Dependent NPC: Professor Peter Michaels, Professor of Archeology 8- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
10 Dependent NPC: Keith Jensen, Boyfriend 8- (Normal)
5 Dependent NPC: Master & Candice (Candy) Rogers 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful noncombat position or skills; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
5 Distinctive Features: Magical Aura (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10 Hunted: Centurians 8-, More Powerful, Watching, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
20 Hunted: The World Hostility Implementation Party 8- (Occasionally), More Powerful, Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
20 Hunted: Mystic Threats to the earth 8- (Mo Pow; Mildly Punish; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Hunted: Loremaster 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Psychological Limitation: Inquisitive (Very Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code vs Killing (Common; Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Heroic (Very Common; Strong)
5 Reputation: Hero 8-
15 Reputation: Mystic Defender of the Eatrth 14- (Known Only To A Small Group (Extreme))
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently; Major)
10 Social Limitation: Apprentice to the Loremaster (Occasionally; Major)
5 Social Limitation: Weirdness Magnet (Occasionally; Minor)
5 Unluck: 1d6

Disadvantage Points: 200

Base Points: 400

Experience Required: 50

Total Experience Available: 50

Experience Unspent: 0

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or are sorcerers and wizard types the hardest characters to build?

I've been running Champions off and on since 1993 and I have never once really sat down to create a spell-caster. I just find it daunting, really. And I think its because of the probably use of a VPP. Although I'm not sure that's even a point because I've created many VPP's (usually for gadgeteering pools).

They just seem so... strange to me. Maybe mystics are not in my fate. It seems like it might be an eternity before I can conquer the demon of sorcerer-building.

So is it just me? I mean, realistically, boiled down, its just a VPP for spells, a couple two or three magic items, and some skills to even it all out.

RL

So is it just me? I mean' date=' realistically, boiled down, its just a VPP for spells, a couple two or three magic items, and some skills to even it all out.[/quote']

What I've discovered is that you need to be more specific in what kind of wizard you are. I really, really recommend The Ultimate Mystic for this.

Once you've established that your wizard is an illusionist or an alchemist or a thaumaturge, you've got a much more cohesive set of powers for him or her. And the GM is happy, because you no longer have an excuse to pull every power in existence out of your VPP.

What I tend to do is define the wizard's Tradition first - much like I'm making a new Martial Arts style.

So I know, for example, that Lyonessian enchantresses have True Sight, Scrying, Aisling, and lots of Glamour illusion-type powers.

Meanwhile, the chaos magician has Flux Bolts (NND), Entropic Bolts (penetrating), Chaos Bolts (transform), Flux Shields (force fields & walls with PowD, hardened) - all with Side Effects.

And the Sahir have Djinn servants, Words of Binding, Words of Power, Magic Circle, Summoning spells, and the like.

All of them end up with large Multipowers for their Tradition spells, and then smaller VPP for "other magics". And their artifacts have unique looks and functions.

In the end, though, all your wizards looking the same is rather like having the problem that all your Bricks look the same (high STR, high defenses, a movement power of some kind, and some skills to even it all out). You just need to go back and flesh out the character.

This is really important when you're running a supermage campaign - otherwise all the characters do end up looking the same if you're not enforcing concepts. Where did the character learn magic? (China? Japan, Haiti?) How does his or her magic function? (calls upon angels? summons up djinni? speaks the Name of G-d?) What do his or her spells typically do? (illusions? blasts of elemental power? summon up spirits?)

Is it just me, or are sorcerers and wizard types the hardest characters to build?

I've been running Champions off and on since 1993 and I have never once really sat down to create a spell-caster. I just find it daunting, really. And I think its because of the probably use of a VPP. Although I'm not sure that's even a point because I've created many VPP's (usually for gadgeteering pools).

They just seem so... strange to me. Maybe mystics are not in my fate. It seems like it might be an eternity before I can conquer the demon of sorcerer-building.

So is it just me? I mean, realistically, boiled down, its just a VPP for spells, a couple two or three magic items, and some skills to even it all out.

Ain't just you. I've been playing Chamions forever, and had problems wiuth this for years. Part of the problem came from my players, who being technical enginnering types, like stuff that was "reasonable and realistic".

Another problem is the genre itself. Having wizards in the comics is about as logical as having cowboys on the Avengers...:)

So most of my wizards tend to be very "modern". I would give them some little something to make the players know they lived in the real world. I went with the theory that "Magic" is just another science or technology, that has yet to be understood.

Example: My first evil sorceress only had magic that worked at night, so I gave her a pistol to use during the day.

I also had to modify several traditional mystical concepts, to get my theme to work:

Demons: Aliens in ancient times who conquered several worlds, with high technology, before being destroyed. They needed blood instead of food to eat, and are the source of the Vampire myth.

Angels: Aliens who live among humans, and helped destroy the "demons". They exist as computer programs, carried in computer chips, that can be surgically attached to willing doners. They have a huge amount of skills.

Demoninc Possession: The demons were psionic, and sometimes stored themesleves in devices (braintaping). They sometimes get released, and control the living.

Other dimensions: They were allied with the demons, who traded slaves with them (humans).

Monsters: Most monsters are actually aliens, trapped on earth after the demons were defeated.

Gods: Immortal descendents of a time travelling superhero.

Magic itself: Is based upon the energy output emanating from the "Alien God", Vulsooth. A powereful extradimensional alien, he is worshipped in the other dimension as a god, and they scheme to free him. Magic only works on Earth, many magical phenomenon are actually formed from energy leaking out of him. Most game wizards don't know this.

Extradimensional invasion: Around 2,000 years ago, all the gods in the "good" pantheons got together and created smal lpocket dimensions, where they imprisoned all the "bad" gods. These bad gods still scheme to get loose.

Anyway, this kind of setup, where everything was defined as energy, or aliens, has been accepted by my players for 10 years now. It took them ages to figure it out.