I shouldn't be saying this...

Jkeown

... but darn if Valdorian Age doesn't wanna make me toss all my Steampunkery in Caleon out the window, pick up an axe and carve a new one in my Player's backsides...

That book certainly looks fun. I bet the Extra Time (-1/2) on all the spells is a right beeatch, tho...

Re: I shouldn't be saying this...

Don't throw it out the window, just hang onto it until you feel the urge to run Caleon again. Or hold Valdorian Age in reserve for when your current campaign reaches a natural pause.

The gamer's mood shifts like the breeze. ;)

I agree that VA is great stuff. This should make fantasy gamers (HERO and non) sit up and take notice. :thumbup:

My (unasked-for) advice: sit on Valdorian Age until they release the last Conan book (some time this year). Pick them up, along with (possibly) the Bran Mak Morn book. Read them all in one marathon weekend of reading (relatively easy to do with Robert E. Howard's writings; they practically leap off the page and into your brain).

Then, with your mind percolating, see if you can come up with enough bloody mayhem to serve a full campaign. And suggest to your players that they read the Conan books too.

I think a really good Valdorian Age campaign is only possible if the players and GM really "get it," otherwise they all end up looking like D&D barbarian clones.

Nothing needs to get "fixed" since it's a matter of preferences.

However, if he refuses to be exposed to the Conan books, then he's doing himself a real disservice if he considers himself a fantasy fan. Now that I've had a chance to read the unadulterated Conan, I see REH's influence everywhere. It's nothing like the "pap" Conan stories I read that were edited by L. Sprague deCamp. It's really, really easy to see why people tried to copy him. Definitely, he should read at least the first couple of stories in the new Conan books coming out from Del Rey; it's significant that in the first Conan story ever written, he's drawing a map. He's telling his best friend not to get him involved in shenanigans in foreign countries. He's reflecting on how he civilized the brutal former government.

Conan as written by Howard is a compelling three-dimensional character. And just about everybody else wrote only their 2D versions of him.

Nothing needs to get "fixed" since it's a matter of preferences.

However, if he refuses to be exposed to the Conan books, then he's doing himself a real disservice if he considers himself a fantasy fan. Now that I've had a chance to read the unadulterated Conan, I see REH's influence everywhere. It's nothing like the "pap" Conan stories I read that were edited by L. Sprague deCamp. It's really, really easy to see why people tried to copy him. Definitely, he should read at least the first couple of stories in the new Conan books coming out from Del Rey; it's significant that in the first Conan story ever written, he's drawing a map. He's telling his best friend not to get him involved in shenanigans in foreign countries. He's reflecting on how he civilized the brutal former government.

Conan as written by Howard is a compelling three-dimensional character. And just about everybody else wrote only their 2D versions of him.

Man you can say that again. Conan in the original stories is an incredible character, and REH has a dynamic and vivid writing style which brings everything to life. It's some of the best fantasy stuff I have ever read, and some of the most copied. deCamp, subsequent lessor authors, and the movies have really ruined a incredibly interesting character and world.

Vincent Darlage, a Conan fan if ever there was one and as far as I know the instigator behind the d20 Conan game, has this to say about deCamp's editing of REH's work. I like deCamp's writings on other topics, but I agree completely with his points here. (Sorry for the link, but currently it seems the original page is down following a server move. Fortunately, the Internet Archive rocks on toast.)

DARN YOU Jkeown!!

Ive seen this post about 6 times now...I KNOW that Ive already read it and I know what it says...but every time I see that post title

I shouldn't be saying this...

I have to click on it!!! Its like I think theres something naughty or forbiden (or BOTH) on the other side....To tantilizing! Stop it! =P

You can stop clicking on it... I know you can. Concentrate... think about Citrus Fruit or better yet... what limitation value "Only when in Drag" should have for a Wizard in 10th century Rome. Got it? Concentrate...

There you go... you are healed.