Need resource opinion (5er VS UMA)!!!

simplygnome

I have the money allotment (that Ive given to myself) of getting ONE hero book (for a time period lasting about six months of gaming or so). I currently am playing FRED.

I have decided to purchase either:

1) 5er, or

2) UMA

Now, the first choice is easy to explain. Obviously I want the rules clarifications, the typos edited, and a few other good resource examples to back up my generalized hero career, be it Champions, Fantasy Hero, or others....I have heard about a LOT of material that would greatly help out my games.

Also, I have noticed that since 5er has come out, more and more of the answers from the community Ive been seeing have been "Please see 5er pg XXX". Now I understand this is to pretect copywrit material and not "give away" Steves hard earned money...but it is a bit difficult to need answers to something fairly basic (ie, not answered in a specific sub-genre supplement) and not beable to get a straight answer because Im using a Not-really-so-outdated book.

HENCE..I want 5er.

On the other hand, I like martial arts for just about EVERY setting I use (sci-fi has it, ala cowboy bebop or starwars, fantasy monks, or batman esque heros). The UMA will show me how to MAKE MA manuevers...something I cant do right now (GASP!!). This is one rules set that has been driving me MAD for..well..since I got my hero book!

A pet project of mine is to create an extensive and interactive swordsman rules set that will make dueling more hands on and exciting. Hero is the best way to do this, but I have a feeling that the MA rules in UMA will help me out A LOT!

----------

So there is my plight....Or, option C..I could go without food for a week and just get both....

Any serious suggestions from those that have read the books?

Re: Need resource opinion (5er VS UMA)!!!

If you have a local gaming store that stocks UMA, BUY IT!

UMA is currently out of print and Steve Long has stated that due to financial reasons it will not be reprinted although an updated PDF for download purchase is being worked on.

With regards to 5E vs. 5ER you can use the FAQ to see virtually every ruling that was added to 5ER. Only the format was really changed. For the most part no NEW material was added.

For the old FAQ follow these links:

http://www.herogames.com/SupportFAQs/supportfaqsherogames.htm

http://www.herogames.com/SupportFAQs/rulesfaq.htm

HM

I agree, buy the UMA, and buy it now! You may never have another chance. If it was still in print, I'd suggest going with 5ER, but UMA is an excellent resource for martial arts, and if you use that much martial arts in your games it's probably more useful to you anyway.

If you have a local gaming store that stocks UMA, BUY IT!

UMA is currently out of print and Steve Long has stated that due to financial reasons it will not be reprinted although an updated PDF for download purchase is being worked on.

With regards to 5E vs. 5ER you can use the FAQ to see virtually every ruling that was added to 5ER. Only the format was really changed. For the most part no NEW material was added.

For the old FAQ follow these links:

http://www.herogames.com/SupportFAQs/supportfaqsherogames.htm

http://www.herogames.com/SupportFAQs/rulesfaq.htm

HM

5th Edition Revised is a nice book, but not remarkably different from 5th Edition. If you can only buy one right now I'd go for the UMA.

You have obviously considered the options to hive the choice down to two books, so both would be useful to you. I'd go with UMA, for two reasons:

First, as noted above, it is likely your last chance (at least until 6th Ed UMA :straight: ) and 5er will be around until a replacement core rulebook replaces it.

Second, it will give you new options and rules, where 5er will only give you material that already exists in 5e, the FAQ and (to a far lesser extent) in a number of other published books.

Thanks all...at a moment of great weakness, I went with option C today and just ordered them both =P

I'm sure my girlfriend will understand why I don't have the money to take her out this weekend :nonp: (j/k...shes already adjusted to me being cheap anyhow =P) .....Its okay though, she'll probably just take my "old" FRED book and claim it as her own now... :bounce:

she'll probably just take my "old" FRED book and claim it as her own now... :bounce:

Any girlfiend that will settle for an RPG book in place of a date near Valentine's Day is a rare find. Not sure if it's a good find, but rare, and precious, indeed!. Treat her well. :)

Any girlfiend that will settle for an RPG book in place of a date near Valentine's Day is a rare find. Not sure if it's a good find' date=' but rare, and precious, indeed!. Treat her well. :)[/quote']

Muahaha. She'll definately appreciate the comment *slaps forehead and sighs*