The Role of Personal Immunity

Citizen Keen

I build a Damage Shield or an RKA, No Range defined as setting my hand on fire, but I don't take damage from the fire. I'm immune to my own fire.

I make a giant explosion of fire, no range, or a giant field of darkness, and I'm affected unless I purchase Personal Immunity.

When do you (shout out to the GMs) require Personal Immunity, and when do you not?

Re: The Role of Personal Immunity

What Hugh said.

Keep in mind that "hands burst into flame" is a SFX and has nothing to do with the power. It could easily be "heavy fists" or "big stick" and neither of those imply an immunity to anything.

For justification when reasoning why a guy with flaming hands wouldn't be immune to fire in general, remember than a flame thrower isn't immune to fire, and neither is the nozzel. If it's used in the right way, it can spit fire without actually catching on fire. Perhaps a character with flaming hands does something similar.

Just thought of an example, from the X-Men 2 movie: When Storm conjures up a blizzard in the Magneto-copy room, everyone else in the room gets very, very cold - but she doesn't. Nor does she get blown around randomly by the winds she conjures in the first X-Men movie - she chooses whether or not she "rides the wind", to quote the comics.

Lessons in character creation, eh? Personally I tend to build characters with an energy based attack with higher energy defences unless there is a good reason not to (for instance they have it through a laser gun or whatever), but think of it this way: if I punch you I don't thake damage, if I punch myself I do. If I stand next to you and set off a grenade we're both in trouble!

Just thought of an example' date=' from the X-Men 2 movie: When Storm conjures up a blizzard in the Magneto-copy room, everyone else in the room gets very, very cold - but she doesn't. Nor does she get blown around randomly by the winds she conjures in the first X-Men movie - she chooses whether or not she "rides the wind", to quote the comics.[/quote']

I think with the cold, Storm just has some Life Support. With the wind riding, it's the difference between her using TK and using Flight. I actually don't think Personal Immunity gets involved at all there.

I remember an X-Men comic (a bonus issue from Pizza Hut if I remember correctly) where Jubilee hear's that Storm is out riding a thunderstorm and everyone seems a bit worried for it, so asks why. After all, isn't Storm immune to weather? Prof X replies (and I paraphrase) "Immune to weather? What do you mean? Do you think that when it rains, she does not get wet? When the wind blows, it does not catch her hair? I'm afraid that Storm is just as vulnerable to the weather as the rest of us, she just has more control over what it does."

Personal imunity to storms weather powers I believe makes sense for her ... it wouldn't make her imune to weather just the harmful weather effects created by her.

I'm not so sure about that. The fact she can ride her own winds leads me to belive other wind-like abilites can affect her, and that if a windblast of her own was turned against her she'd feel it the same as anyone else. The same would go for lightning blasts.

Of course, if I were writing up Storm (or any weather manipulator with that much control), I'd probably give her some extra DCV, only versus weather effects, to simulate how she could "turn" such attacks away. But should they hit, they'd hit just as hard as if they had hit anyone else.

Yeah' date=' even the Human Torch would get burned if tossed into the sun.[/quote']

But is it simply a matter of degree? Isn't he mostly invulnerable to "regular" fire? But (presumably) this derives from the nature of his personal immunity.

I tend to rule that personal immunity gives you immunity based on the SFX of that. If the personal immunity is based on the fact your body is a sea of flames, I'd say you're invulnerable to "regular" fire attacks - but probably not mystic ones and probably not ones that are "extreme" (like the sun) unless your power was "I AM THE SCION OF THE SUN!" or such.